Author Topic: Jupiter copper wire - Waxed cotton dialectric + KLE plugs  (Read 9830 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
As mentioned in the Jupiter cap thread (click), I stumbled onto some Jupiter copper wire that has waxed cotton dialetric.   I've never tried wire with this type of dialetric before,  so curiosity got the better of me, and I ordered some. 

Here is what the wire looks like up close.

When I strip the end of the wire,  I see that it has multiple layers of cotton, packed *really* tight, as I gently stripped it layer after layer came off,,,,

There is at least 3 layers,  I think possibly 4 layers,  sometimes multiple layers came off together. 

It took a *really* sharp razor blade to cut through the waxed cotton without fraying,  it's really tough stuff !! 

So,  with the bad weather,  I made a pair of interconnects with this stuff this morning.   Started at 8.30, and only just finished them now (at time of writing).   Did I ever mention I dont really like making cables,  it's a damn fiddly job,  and I am relatively fussy as I go.  I would never *ever* consider making cables for sale,  just doesnt interest me.   But I do enjoy the process of trying different things, and hearing what they do.   

Here is the end result.   

I'll describe the details in subsequent posts.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 04:30:29 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

Re: Jupiter copper wire - Waxed cotton dialetric + KLE plugs
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 01:53:30 PM »
Components:
   * Jupiter Solid Copper wire, 28AWG, with waxed cotton dialectric (click) :  8 x 1.2m lengths
   * KLEI Pure Harmony RCA plugs (click)
   * WBT solder

Process:
   * Cut the wire into 8 equal lengths
   * Trimmed the ends to expose the copper (should have done this later, in hindsight)
   * Labelled 4 wires with blue tape,  to indicate these would be signal wire.
   * Braided 4 wires into a cable run, twice.
   * Slid the Harmony rubber grommets onto the cable runs, and this was actually very difficult.  Even taping up the ends of my wire, the copper ends still got bent in the process of squeezing the grommets on.
   * Re-trim the ends, to expose more smooth unbent wire, and trim off the copper that got compromised (I'm fussy about wire with sharp bends in it).
   * Soldered ends onto the Pure Harmony plugs  (the wire runs are 2+2  (2 signal, 2 ground))
   * Buzzed them out, to make sure it's all connected as it should be

Sounds easy and straight forward,  but it's bl00dy fiddly.    Also, that 28AWG pure copper wire is so soft, it's actually hard to work with.

Time to rig up a cheapy system to run them in,,,,,,,
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 02:04:33 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 02:04:05 PM »
Nice job, there is a special satisfaction making cables and then finding they often outperform commercial products. I am really interested in the result.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 02:05:59 PM »
Dont know about that yet Steven,  my hit rate isnt the best.   The last set were pretty aggressive.   Hope these ones are better.    ???

Offline ozmillsy

Re: Jupiter copper wire - Waxed cotton dialectric + KLE plugs
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 06:23:20 PM »
Now running in on a SS system, will give them a week running 24x7, before trying them on the main system.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 08:53:45 AM »
I forgot to mention,  i also bought some other Jupiter wire at the same time, 18AWG (not waxed).

Rawl mentioned some time ago that Neotech can tend to have a glare, due to the dialectric (and that he always strips it).    i've been using Neotech as speaker hookup wire. 

So as an experiment, i have replaced the Neotech with,,,,

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/jupiter-cda-101-18-awg-p-1618

Listened to 3 records last night, with the Jupiter 18AWG wire connecting the Radford to the Tannoys.    To early to make a call, but it hasnt been a step backward.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 08:58:02 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 08:56:13 AM »
I put the IC's on last night.  As mentioned, they have been running all week (24x7) on another (SS) system.    I put them in the critical position between Goldpt VC pot and Radford amp.

Initial impressions are pretty good.  They dont seem to have the top end grain or aggressiveness that the previous incarnation of IC's I made (stripped neotech in loose teflon tubing).  The top end seemed sweet and lovely,  with a good amount of information retrieval.

If these cables lack anything,  it seems to be at the bottom end.   I think the 28AWG gauge may be is too thin,  I was hoping doubling the strands and running 2x28AWG for signal and ground would address this.   But I am not sure it works that way?    Maybe I just need a thicker gauge?     Problem is,  I couldnt see a thicker gauge wire with 'waxed' dialetric.  I could try dry cotton.   Or I could keep adding additional strands, to see if I can get more weight?

Thoughts?

These impressions are all in the context of my system.   I'll take them to another system, and see if the same attributes come through?
« Last Edit: May 09, 2015, 08:59:13 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline brenden

• Liked: 78
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 04:23:58 PM »
Hi Oz .Doubling the wire will probably not give you the bass you are after unfortunately but can often  improve other areas of the sound so by all means try it  .You would need to use a thicker wire to get deeper bass and a  tad warmer sound in general .Each diameter of wire has its own frequency response .Generally  ,a 28g will sound a bit light ,a 24g is fairly neutral but misses a little  bit on the top end and a  little bit on the bottom end  a 20 guage will start to sound a bit rich and possibly bass heavy  , with the high frequencies seeming recessed .
   You can try a 24 guage and 28 guage together ,or even one run of 28 g for the  positive and 24g for the negative .This will get you closer to what you are after .Hope this helps .

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 09:47:01 PM »
Yeah, i think a thicker gauge  would be a better fit for where this system is at.  24awg copper with cotton is the next move, waxed or not.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2015, 07:23:06 PM »
18AWG cotton Jupiter wire is *not* coming out (being used as speaker wire hookup)

I've ordered a mix of 26AWG, 23AWG and 20AWG Jupiter wire, for further IC experimentation. None of them are waxed cotton, theyre dry cotton dialetric,  but that is a secondary consideration at this point.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 08:31:30 AM »
I've re-made my Jupiter IC's,  using 23AWG solid core wire in dry cotton dialetric.  800mm in length, same KLE plugs, 4 wire braid.    Finished running them in and have used them in different spots in the system.

They sound very good to my ears.   They have the additional weight I was looking for, and it hasnt come at the expense of the top end,   which has nice clarity and no edge. 

I've tested them between passive VC and power amp,  and also between phono and passive VC.   I've left them in the phono spot.   I was worried that with no shielding, they may pickup hums,   but have carefully run them in free air and so far so good.     

I really do like the sound of this Jupiter wire.

http://www.soniccraft.com/product_info.php/jupiter-cda-101-23-awg-p-1616
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:44:55 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 10:32:36 PM »
I've re-made my Jupiter IC's,  using 23AWG solid core wire in dry cotton dialetric.  800mm in length, same KLE plugs, 4 wire braid.    Finished running them in and have used them in different spots in the system.

They sound very good to my ears.   They have the additional weight I was looking for, and it hasnt come at the expense of the top end,   which has nice clarity and no edge. 

I've tested them between passive VC and power amp,  and also between phono and passive VC.   I've left them in the phono spot.   I was worried that with no shielding, they may pickup hums,   but have carefully run them in free air and so far so good.     

i had jupiter wire on the output of my EXkillerdac
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline PingPing

• Liked: 6
RCA Interconnect/Digital Construction Techniques
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 01:34:01 PM »

You could try these RCA Interconnect/Digital Construction Techniques :)  http://www.image99.net/blog/files/506d83f3825abf016b8859728e0fc206-0.html
« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 12:27:03 PM by PingPing »