Author Topic: modifying Marantz Wadia transports  (Read 17343 times)

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
Re: modifying Marantz Wadia transports
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2014, 09:08:09 PM »
pretty obvious they are equipment pulls, and the auction clearly states they are used.. still a nice find, thanks for posting

but..... the sceptic in me thinks that's a pretty genius method for giving fakes some credibility

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2014, 09:19:47 PM »
The printing on them appears not quite right to me, anyone else think similar?  I compared them to some I have here and there is a difference!  This raises some questions for me. :-\
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline brenden

• Liked: 78
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2014, 09:42:59 PM »
  I am also very skeptic ,but the prices are low enough  on some of these parts to take a punt .I have had no trouble with any of the capacitors I have purchased ,and have bought quite a few exotics .  I usually buy a couple to evaluate ,and if they are the real deal ,I will buy what I need ,and a few spares if hard to get . I generally only buy semiconductors from reliable sources,as this seems to be an area that duplicates are rife .

Offline matt200sr

• Liked: 9
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2015, 06:01:25 PM »
Hi Steve, Are these Oscon SG's the real deal?

These are 47uf and I'm thinking to use on my DAC.

Offline kajak12

• http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 07:15:13 PM »

solens are the go
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 10:36:08 PM »

They look to be the real deal.

Offline matt200sr

• Liked: 9
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 10:48:39 PM »
Cheers Steve,

Its been suggested i replace the 14 electrolytics around the dac chip in my Audiocentric with these. There are 5 other Blackgates on the dac board that i would like to replace as well.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 01:53:11 AM »
Cheers Steve,

Its been suggested i replace the 14 electrolytics around the dac chip in my Audiocentric with these. There are 5 other Blackgates on the dac board that i would like to replace as well.

Matt,

Oscon caps are electrolyitc. They are not really the right cap to use for the 14 x bit decoupling caps on TDA1541.
These must be be film caps and physically small, mounted right next to DAC chip.

You can use Oscons for DAC PS decoupling but I would take Marios advice, use film caps.  That's what I have done.
The Solens work well but I have used small size and mount them close to DAC.

cheers

Terry

Offline brenden

« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:06 PM »
Hi Matt, Terry is spot on about using film caps around the TDA1541a  .The better quality caps tend to be larger .I spent a lot of time searching for suitable parts that were higher quality .I am using Panasonic  PPS  ECHR    copper foil caps l on my MSBs  at the moment  as they are impossible to find so cant do all of them  .I have been able to source some excellent older stock ERO kp1838   0.13uf capacitors . The KP stands for  polypropylene film and foil ,which are a step up from metallised film . The newer Vishay kp1937 type caps have magnetic leads and should be avoided if you can find copper leads .Electrolytics have too much leakage for this application ,even black gates .This will cause errors .
    I am also  bypassing the caps with a .01 copper foil polypropylene and is a further improvement in sound quality .

If you want to assess the quality of caps without changing all of them at once ,just change the 2 MSB ( Most significant bit) caps .

You will hear the difference .