KillerDac > General Information

Matt's Marantzenelectro Transport and Audiocentric DAC

(1/8) > >>

matt200sr:
Hi Guys,

It's been a long wait but Terry has delivered excellence in this modifying this CD94.

Gentleman behold... Marantzenelectro  ;D

That's the last time I'll refer to as Marantzelelectro as it's such a mouthful.  :o

Now aside from the usual tuneup and tweaks as well as fitting the Oscon's the Craig and Steve sent through (Craig you must invoice me for them) Terry has fitted and tuned his Zenclock and i2S reclocking board. Terry has made things super easy by making the receptical that facilitates the connection between battery and clock, also facilitate the charging of the battery. A toggle switch next to the receptical on the rear of the Marantz switches the clock on/off. Super easy for a dunce like me!

Well I got back from work Friday night and after a few family commitments were seen to I blew the dust of the Audiocentric and started planning. Now I should say that a couple of years ago I made a BIIIG mistake. Craig actually built me a Killerdac once. I waited patiently for over a year for it to arrive and pestered poor Craig often as to any developments and when it finally arrived I was ecstatic! I fed i2s via an old Offramp 4 converter/Macbook front end and I just loved it. Months went by... only 7 or 8 from memory and then I did something silly. I decided to sell my entire system as I took a career opportunity overseas. My original intention was to keep the KillerDAC however in a moment of stupidity I spoke with YoungMC who lives close to me and offered it to him. At the time I thought I was done with HiFi for a while and I could concentrate on work. Simon was rapped with Craig's creation and I suddenly felt racked with guilt as I recalled those times I pestered Craig to get it finished!

It seems like an age ago but only a couple of years have passed I found myself living back in WA and Terry still working through development of the Marantz which I had previously sent him so... when this Audiocentric came up  for sale on SNA I jumped. Steve M owned this one and sold it to adrock's whom sold it to me. I think, and I am not sure but Steve M bout it from someone from this forum but I cannot be sure.

Back to the transport... Terry schooled me up on the best i2s connection to make from the BNC outputs he fitted on the transport and I got to work. I also fitted new ETI rca output sockets and cleaned up the dac in general. removed SPDIF connection and wiring from the DAC board. Dammit only one channel working! It was 11pm so I went to bed and was up at 5am the next day, re-soldered the socket on the offending channel and hooray music!

Span a few discs and instantly much more enjoyable than my other digital transport/dac. Just love it and really makes the DAC shine well ahead of feeding it a digital signal via SPDIF from an Oppo 105. The extra engagement that the transport provides is very addictive! Thank you Terry.

Now I am hooked! I want to get more out of this DAC and only have a basic idea how.  See below for pics.

matt200sr:

Audiocentric

matt200sr:
More Audiocentric

kajak12:
how deep are your pockets?

matt200sr:
Hi Mario

Fairly shallow to be honest but happy to fork out for output caps and anything else that might bring big gains.

I would like to grab any low hanging fruit so to speak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version