Author Topic: OPUS DAC  (Read 8543 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
OPUS DAC
« on: July 31, 2011, 06:48:46 PM »
http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/digital/opus.aspx

Cheap dac good value for money

Thanks to tuyen for a demo of opus dac +jkenny hiface a computer audio solution on a budget good sound for the money,plays high res files with a click of a keyboard button easy too set up. Sounds easy on the ear no problems ear plugs are not needed,as for high end audio not at this stage people its just a cardboard cutout of real music.Lacks weight and breath above all emotion of music its also flat sounding.
flemo and tuyen if you like put your 2 cents worth this is just my opinion.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:55:12 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

Re: OPUS DAC
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 08:32:15 PM »
Indeed for $45 it is very good value for money.  :)   I can finally enjoy my collection of hi-res vinyl rips.  

Running the OPUS in passive mode does make it lack a bit of energy and weight and sound a bit flat compared to a dac with an active output stage. I did find it has more delicacy and finesse in the presentation. But less weight/body in the music (which is quite crucial).  Probably as we were listening to the 24/96 file  compared to the CD on the kdac/audiogd combo.     I noticed with Braddles AudioGD which uses the same chip but with an active gain stage, the energy is there (although extra gain stage + spdif input stage) being a downfall as it  makes the sound quite muddled/congested and especially highs quite harsh compared to the kdac.      

But from my short experience so far with even this basic hi-res setup, I'm starting to appreciate and get an understanding of some of the benefits that hi-res encoded music can deliver..  

Maybe something like this 32-bit buffalo with tube output stage is next on the cards for me? :D     Maybe....    oh wait, it's already sold :)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 08:15:57 AM by tuyen »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 09:07:21 PM »
Indeed for $45 it is very good value for money.  :)   I can finally enjoy my collection of hi-res vinyl rips.  

Running the OPUS in passive mode does make it lack a bit of energy and weight and sound a bit flat compared to a dac with an active output stage. I did find it has more delicacy and finesse in the presentation. But less weight/body in the music (which is quite crucial).  Probably as we were listening to the 24/96 file  compared to the CD on the kdac/audiogd combo.     I noticed with Braddles AudioGD which uses the same chip but with an active gain stage, the energy is there (although extra opamp stage + spdif input stage) being a downfall as it  makes the sound quite muddled/congested and especially highs quite harsh compared to the kdac.      

But from my short experience so far with even this basic hi-res setup, I'm starting to appreciate and get an understanding of some of the benefits that hi-res encoded music can deliver..  

Maybe something like this 32-bit buffalo with tube output stage is next on the cards for me? :D     Maybe....    oh wait, it's already sold :)

Just use a a high rez dac chip without built in op amps or its game over before it begins
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »
 ::) So it was crap then or put politely, 'a non substantial facsimile of a  living breathing emersive experiance to delight and relax in' without diving for the volume knob or stop button.  :'(
Whilst I beleive the timing of of HDD playback is better than the silver disc there is still a long way to go to get the life and colour happening.  If that DAC managed it at such a low cost it would be an instant best seller so no major suprises for me here.  Keep the experimenting going, its saving me a fortune!  :P
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

tuyen

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »
The Sabre ES9018 chip on that tubed buffalo II dac doesn't run built in opamps :)

Indeed, the experimenting factor for me is the fun part.  Especially when it doesn't involve big $$$!!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:12:41 PM »
The Sabre ES9018 chip on that tubed buffalo II dac doesn't run built in opamps :)

Indeed, the experimenting factor for me is the fun part.  Especially when it doesn't involve big $$$!!
Now your talking tuyen sabre chip no opamps all you need now is a great output stage and power supply

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:33:25 PM »
I think I'll pass on trying anymore of these hi-res dac chips though.   One is enough to get me going for now.

I'll consider trying something like a fully discrete R2R (ie. no actually DAC chip) hi-res dac when one that looks appealing is released. I know Core Audio Technology is currently building one.  Similar idea to the TotalDAC.  :)   But apparently it's quite a long way away so just stick to what I got for now.  

Although I am interested in having a listen to the Metrum Acoustics Mini NOS DAC Octave  that bhobba has coming. No DAC chip!     Hope you are willing to send it over for us WA buggers have a listen Bill!!!

tuyen

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 11:38:11 AM »
Got a custom pair of Bud Purvine's o'netics line transformers on the way. Data sheet as attached to this post.

I want to use it to convert balanced to unbalanced signal from my Twisted Pear Opus DAC that uses the wolfson WM8741 chip (datasheet: http://www.wolfsonmicro.com/documents/uploads/data_sheets/en/WM8741.pdf)

Schematic for the Opus: http://www.twistedpearaudio.com/docs/digital/opus_schematic.pdf

My question is, do I need to load the primary or secondary windings with any resistors and/or add any capacitors for any filtering? 

Cheers! :)