Author Topic: zenelectro killer clock  (Read 82971 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: zenelectro killer clock
« Reply #140 on: April 06, 2013, 06:17:52 PM »
my trichord clock modded running off a 12v battery (car)

Hi Mario,

Have you tested the new batch of zenclock yet? I'm eagerly waiting to know your opinion.

Thanks,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #141 on: April 06, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
my trichord clock modded running off a 12v battery (car)

Hi Mario,

Have you tested the new batch of zenclock yet? I'm eagerly waiting to know your opinion.

Thanks,
William
haven't arrived yet due early next week
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #142 on: April 06, 2013, 07:19:21 PM »
Hi Zen

Thanks for sharing your experience...much appreciated
Funny enought the Dexa had the longest wire of the three by far...since I did not want to cut the original shielded one. (see photo with the long cable at the edge of the board)
Anyway I will take good note of what you said.
I guess upgrading the non ovenised clock in the Dexa with a better one is a nono...since the circuit is probably tailormade to the one in use...?

Can you point out what resistor you mean

Thanks again  ;)

Edit: The transformer was important for the long cable as you explained...missed that bit  :D
« Last Edit: April 06, 2013, 07:23:46 PM by Erik van Voorst »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2013, 11:30:13 AM »
Hi Zen

Thanks for sharing your experience...much appreciated
Funny enought the Dexa had the longest wire of the three by far...since I did not want to cut the original shielded one. (see photo with the long cable at the edge of the board)

I think the Dexa would have the best transmission of the clock signal  as it has the OP transformer and shielded cable which it would be designed
to work optimally with. Again, a smart move on their part.
Anyway I will take good note of what you said.
It's probably a moot point as you appear to be pretty happy to live with the Dexa, however I'm sure the other two would benefit from
very short gnd and signal line. 
I guess upgrading the non ovenised clock in the Dexa with a better one is a nono...since the circuit is probably tailormade to the one in use...?
The Dexa is optimised within it's own design. If you were to upgrade to ovenised just do the whole thing. But 16 meg hard to get.

I would probably keep that transport as a reference and make another one with 11.2896 clock, I2S OP done right and
compare the two.

Can you point out what resistor you mean

The clock OP - see 'series termination in following:
http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=5&sqi=2&ved=0CF0QFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ultracad.com%2Fmentor%2Fmentor%2520termination%2520placement.pdf&ei=7cpgUfWPLIfZigevzoHwAQ&usg=AFQjCNGjxVbBLNxXpBWfDtZQd6_0sBz2Bw&sig2=ZvBmbFMuIqoeK9aiW5vR-g

cheers

Z

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2013, 06:03:57 PM »
Thanks  ;)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #145 on: April 10, 2013, 04:10:49 PM »
Zen clock is running no mods with duelunds yet,sounds good needs running in for people interested contact zen i can send them from here directly
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #146 on: April 14, 2013, 10:20:26 AM »
I'm ready when you guys are !   :D
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #147 on: April 14, 2013, 12:12:33 PM »
clock are going to be shipped soon to zen for little mods

Offline rab

• Administrator
  • Liked: 36
« Reply #148 on: April 27, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »
A couple of questions for you guys. The I2S leads (looks like CAT6) on my Wadia 3200 transport are too short to reach from my transport to my kdac if i put them side-by-side, so i presently have the DAC sitting directly on top of the transport.

Q1: Obviously, shorter leads are always better, but does anyone have any experience or at least advice on whether there would be any performance penalty if I used longer leads so that i could put the DAC and transport side-by-side?

Q2: Am i mistaken to think that doing so would be better? In general i like to space my gear apart (vibration, magnetic fields, etc), but maybe it's actually a good idea to have them on top of one another? (Weight on the transport: reduced resonance etc). Incidentally, the transport is sitting on a sheet of slate that is supported by 4 squash balls... and boy are they squashed now, after supporting both units for a few months now...!

Thoughts?

- r.

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
« Reply #149 on: May 04, 2013, 03:41:44 PM »
Hi Rab

I have mine side by side as I didnt want them on top of each other due to vibration problems and isolation being a hassle if they are on top of each other. I have my Wadia facing front on and my Kdac slightly facing away from the Wadia and the front of the room so the CAT5 wire from the back RHS of the Kdac is very close to the back RHS of the Wadia.

I cant remember the measurement of wire from Wadia to Kdac and I'm not at home now but I'll check and get back to you tmro. Somwherew between 20 to 25cm I think. It seems to work well.

Nathan

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #150 on: May 05, 2013, 03:17:57 PM »
26cm from chassis to chassis with loose wire. If it was tight it would be around 27 to 28cm long.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #151 on: May 05, 2013, 03:22:01 PM »
I didnt want exposed wire running between transport and dac, as I've got young boys who like to fiddle.

So I got Danny to fit an output buffer to boost the strength of my i2s signals,  and I run 3 x 70cm digital interconnects.   Many techs who are familiar with i2s scoff at this, as it wasnt design to run over a distance.   But Dannys work is impeccable, and it works a treat for me.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #152 on: May 05, 2013, 11:59:03 PM »
Short as possible, because the A chip is not designed to drive cable.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #153 on: May 06, 2013, 02:21:06 PM »
In my case, the A chip is talking to the buffer,   the buffer then drives the cables.    Works a treat.

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #154 on: May 06, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
In my case, the A chip is talking to the buffer,   the buffer then drives the cables.    Works a treat.

Nice one Oz.
I have just sent down Danny my Wadia today to adjust the laser as it keeps skipping and activate the i2s muting function as well as a new belt kit while he is at it. Then its on to Z for a new Zen clock.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #155 on: September 28, 2013, 01:34:47 PM »
Hey Guys,   I've had the pleasure of running a Zenelectro KillerClock for over 4 weeks now,  and I can safely say it is a significant step forward over the Burson clock I was using.

Not sure if T has a finalised design yet,  but it would be close.   On first listen, the system was a little on the "cool" side, but a slight tweak to the clock fixed that,   and the result is greater clarity and musicality.   That is a combination that is hard for anyone to achieve, as we usually find 1 or the other being improved.

I'm really happy with what I'm hearing.  Thanks T.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #156 on: September 29, 2013, 12:36:41 AM »
Hey Guys,   I've had the pleasure of running a Zenelectro KillerClock for over 4 weeks now,  and I can safely say it is a significant step forward over the Burson clock I was using.

Not sure if T has a finalised design yet,  but it would be close.   On first listen, the system was a little on the "cool" side, but a slight tweak to the clock fixed that,   and the result is greater clarity and musicality.   That is a combination that is hard for anyone to achieve, as we usually find 1 or the other being improved.

Looks like i will bring my zen clock down to compare

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #157 on: September 29, 2013, 02:08:11 AM »

Looks like i will bring my zen clock down to compare

Thanks Oz very much appreciated.

The clocks are pretty sorted, what I am doing now is I2S OP re clocking. This re aligns the I2S signals with original clock.
They (I2S) are generated in 'A' chip (7210)  however that chip itself would degrade the clock to some degree.

Kajak - You keep that damn thing in Perth - it's a freak of nature! :)

Offline matt200sr

• Liked: 9
« Reply #158 on: September 29, 2013, 03:11:04 AM »
Mario's a bit of a FON himself but I hear you have met him so you would know  :P :P :P :P

Offline onthebeach

« Reply #159 on: September 29, 2013, 03:17:33 PM »
Good to know Oz. My Wadia transport is on Z's bench atm with new clock installed.

The finishing touches to the 12V battery supply are being finalised including a 3 pin xlr input on the rear of the transport for battery input and a mini toggle for battery on/off which is pretty damn neat. The battery will be fused with a xlr connection lead.

It should be a significant upgrade from the stock clock in the Wadia whatever that is.

I should have it back in the next week or so. It will be very nice indeed to fire the Killer back up and re-emerse myself with quality 2 channel.

My ears have adjusted to a lesser quality so I will be in for a treat.