Author Topic: zenelectro killer clock  (Read 82945 times)

tuyen

Re: zenelectro killer clock
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 03:52:58 PM »
Hi Terry,

12.000MHz for one of Doede's USB I2S module. But as you say need numbers for an order, so probably won't happen. But all good! :)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 04:03:39 PM »
Just a quick update i have installed a duelund on the clock on the input of the 12v car battery,nothing like a duelund very very good.
Vitavox will be coming down for a listen on the weekend if anybody else would like to come down send me a pm.This clock will be going to steve's house next monday, express post with a express post bag included for the return to my house I know steve too well so i really hope it doesn't perform well on his system or i wont be getting it back for a while.
ps:To stevenvalve all the postage costs will be covered for the return of the ZEN clock to where it belongs  :P

What clock Ha Ha.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 04:10:25 PM »
Hi Terry,

12.000MHz for one of Doede's USB I2S module. But as you say need numbers for an order, so probably won't happen. But all good! :)

You can have it, if you are prepaired to pay extra for a one off crystal.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
Hi Terry,

What about 2 clocks for the jkenny hiface tuyen? 
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 04:40:52 PM »
Guess it will boil down to what the price is for one piece and also how much Terry wants for the rest of the module.  :)

Don't want to mod the jkeny (yet anyway..) as at the moment it won't even work with the dddac.  still waiting for a high speed buffer chip to arrive and see if it will make the two units work together.  then I can compare the differences between the jkeny and doede and decide which one suits me more.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 05:02:44 PM »
Guess it will boil down to what the price is for one piece and also how much Terry wants for the rest of the module.  :)

Don't want to mod the jkeny (yet anyway..) as at the moment it won't even work with the dddac.  still waiting for a high speed buffer chip to arrive and see if it will make the two units work together.  then I can compare the differences between the jkeny and doede and decide which one suits me more.

Tuyen,

12MHz means it is non integer of 44.1 so the usb converter that ddd use is NVG - probably that TI dac chip (2707?).
Seems like a waste of money to me as there would be other huge sources of jitter in this setup.

I would put the money into better usb - i2s conversion. Just my opinion as always ymmv

T

tuyen

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 05:24:13 PM »
No problems Terry :)

Indeed it uses the PCM2707 dac chip to pick the i2s data. Just using the included tentlabs chip and it's doing a decent job for now.

I hope the jkeny unit paired with this unit below will allow it to play with my dac.  I know Doede had to fit some optocoupler (buffer?) module for his jkeny module to work with his dddac too.  

quoted from an email  by Doede "Hi Tuyen, That is an optocoupler board and functions as a buffer. It seems without this buffer, the USB board cannot drive so many DAC Towers….   (as you are experimenting ahead of me ;-) I have not been able to test this extensively …. "

« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:42:11 PM by tuyen »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:53 PM »
Tuyen how much is this buffer?
Very interesting i wouldn't mind trying it between my cd94 and dac to hear what the buffer does to sq
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 05:58:26 PM »
Worked out to be about $17AU posted.

Contact Oliver (dvb-projekt) on diyaudio if ya interested

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/dvb-projekt/

Offline kajak12

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 06:18:17 PM »
Worked out to be about $17AU posted.

Contact Oliver (dvb-projekt) on diyaudio if ya interested

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/dvb-projekt/
That is cheap worth a try so longer leads can be run for i2s also gives me a yard stick against zenelectro buffer for i2s which will be available soooooooooooon.
ps:you have too much time on your hands finding all the toys do some bloody work tuyen

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2011, 11:56:52 AM »
Just a quick update

The wheels are turning, parts being sourced, board design started etc.

ATM I am thinking:

- A 12V DC IP (fused) for hard core battery buffs.
- A 10V AC input with all rectification/filtering on board, all that is required is a small 240/10V transformer.
- access to main voltage ref film cap for those who like to mod stuff (who doesn't)

cheers

Terry

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2011, 12:43:56 PM »
Just a quick update

ATM I am thinking:

- A 10V AC input with all rectification/filtering on board, all that is required is a small 240/10V transformer.
- access to main voltage ref film cap for those who like to mod stuff (who doesn't)

cheers

Terry

Hey T

Mario really rates your clock, nice one.  ;)

Don't go pussying around with crap torrodials,  :-X get some manly plate and frames roughly 10 times what you actually need in terms of VA, that way you know you've done your best, those piss willy little 5 VA and 20Va's are a joke.   :'( Do it right the first time and there is no inclination  to faff with it later.  Having said that leave the Duelands to those with big hipsters with deep pockets!  :P
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2011, 01:42:26 PM »
Just a quick update

ATM I am thinking:

cheers

Terry

Hey T

Mario really rates your clock, nice one.  ;)

Don't go pussying around with crap torrodials,  :-X get some manly plate and frames roughly 10 times what you actually need in terms of VA, that way you know you've done your best, those piss willy little 5 VA and 20Va's are a joke.   :'( Do it right the first time and there is no inclination  to faff with it later.  Having said that leave the Duelands to those with big hipsters with deep pockets!  :P
V

WRT transformer, I used to work at the place that mario / steve get their transformers and
have a few design tricks up my sleeve - if needed.

WRT toroid, agreed it's not my first choice at all. One of the advantages of a small EI tranny
is it can be made with very low coupling back to the mains. Then it's a case of
getting rid of noise and filtering.

cheers

T

Offline kajak12

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
Just a quick update

ATM I am thinking:

cheers
Terry
What is this word fused ?
I dont like this kind of bad language nothing on my clock will be fused,if it has a fuse its called cat 5 in teflon :P

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2011, 07:43:55 PM »
Hey Mario :D

You are allready listening to your CD95 which is fused.  :-X The transformer has a built in thermal fuse which is not get- at- able, at least with an external fuse and holder you can bypass you household insurance and hard wire it!  :o  All manufacturers have to meet code, hence the fuse.  I don't blame Zenelectro in placing a fuse on the mains 240V side, here it does least harm but can always be improved upon by spending a tad more to replace it with a mini circuit breaker which senses current draw, these stay out of the way (unlike fuses) until they really need to kick in, then you have a problem!  :P So don't panic Mr.Mannering, resetable circuit breaker to the rescue, available at all good outlets of Farnell RS etc for low bucks  ;)  That's what I use.
V ;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2011, 08:34:03 PM »

You are allready listening to your CD95 which is fused.  :-X The transformer has a built in thermal fuse which is not get- at- able, at least with an external fuse and holder you can bypass you household insurance and hard wire it!  :o  All manufacturers have to meet code, hence the fuse.  I don't blame Zenelectro in placing a fuse on the mains 240V side, here it does least harm but can always be improved upon by spending a tad more to replace it with a mini circuit breaker which senses current draw, these stay out of the way (unlike fuses) until they really need to kick in, then you have a problem!  :P So don't panic Mr.Mannering, resetable circuit breaker to the rescue, available at all good outlets of Farnell RS etc for low bucks  ;)  That's what I use.
V ;D
I will be running a clock with 12v battery no fuse needed,oh and yes a audiophile grade circuit breaker will happen one day made in germany.
As for 240v power supply good idea to have a fuse just in case.I wonder why my cd94 has an external fuse if they use an internal fuse inside the transformer?

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2011, 12:05:12 AM »

V ;D
I will be running a clock with 12v battery no fuse needed,oh and yes a audiophile grade circuit breaker will happen one day made in germany.
As for 240v power supply good idea to have a fuse just in case.I wonder why my cd94 has an external fuse if they use an internal fuse inside the transformer?
I think ones user replacable and untrusting manufactures (na only kidding) use thermal one's so they can't be dicked with and your fire insurance may pay out????  Of course you could always replace your transport transformer with a better C or IE core of higher VA which means a more stable circuit voltage wise.  A 500vA plate and frame well designed will have a far lower voltage drop and much better regulation than a squity 50VA jobbie and sound better too.  IT's a bit like a 5ltr engine going up a hill and a 500cc with the same load, guess which one has an easy time of it does not get HOT  nor saturate its core ( that is if no DC is on the line) or drops voltage below nominal!
V

Offline kajak12

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2011, 12:38:55 AM »

V ;D
I think ones user replacable and untrusting manufactures (na only kidding) use thermal one's so they can't be dicked with and your fire insurance may pay out????  Of course you could always replace your transport transformer with a better C or IE core of higher VA which means a more stable circuit voltage wise.  A 500vA plate and frame well designed will have a far lower voltage drop and much better regulation than a squity 50VA jobbie and sound better too.  IT's a bit like a 5ltr engine going up a hill and a 500cc with the same load, guess which one has an easy time of it does not get HOT  nor saturate its core ( that is if no DC is on the line) or drops voltage below nominal!
V
very true i could replace the transformer in my cd94 question is when does it stop? answer when you get a divorce and spend money on a new mate

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2011, 12:55:31 PM »

V ;D
V
very true i could replace the transformer in my cd94 question is when does it stop? answer when you get a divorce and spend money on a new mate
Well if you do not smoke or buy booze then that leaves a few pennies for when you are not appeasing the wife by buying new sitee's.  On a serious note, it never changes, there are always changes to wring, wether it's substantially better and worth it is down to personal tastes.  Dutch Eric looks to have his priorities firmly set but probably can  easily afford it.  A case of cutting your cloth according to means.  I would love to be able to go out and splash 100G's on a front end, the same on amps and the sky is almost the limit for speakers and room to put them in, then there's the mains feed, acoustics WAF oh man it NEVER ENDS.  Some times I think it cheaper to attend the conceet hall on a regular basis, but then there is not the choice.............damn Oh to be KING. Anyway this is hijacking this thread about clocks, get onto Terry and ask what frequencies he can accommodate for the new design as I feel sure this has 'pricked the interest' of quite a few viewers of the fourum.
V

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:28 PM »

Anyway this is hijacking this thread about clocks, get onto Terry and ask what frequencies he can accommodate for the new design as I feel sure this has 'pricked the interest' of quite a few viewers of the fourum.
V

WRT Frequencies - most audio related frequencies can be accommodated. The first batch however will be 11.2896
as that is the most popular frequency. I also have some interest from pro audio for studio master word clocks.

All good!

cheers

T