Author Topic: Digital reciever chips  (Read 7049 times)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
Digital reciever chips
« on: August 04, 2011, 01:49:55 PM »
 While I2S would be my prefered method of connection I don't have a source that supports it.
My Satch dac uses the CS8412/2 but I think I can fit the DIR9001 via an adaptor board like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/DIR9001-Digital-receiver-CS8412-CS8414-converter-board-/320730020358?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item4aacffba06
Money is tight so if the chip is not thought to be a worthwhile upgrade I won't bother.
What do you think guys?
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Digital reciever chips
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 01:59:13 PM »
While I2S would be my prefered method of connection I don't have a source that supports it.
My Satch dac uses the CS8412/2 but I think I can fit the DIR9001 via an adaptor board like this : http://cgi.ebay.com/DIR9001-Digital-receiver-CS8412-CS8414-converter-board-/320730020358?pt=Receivers_Tuners&hash=item4aacffba06
Money is tight so if the chip is not thought to be a worthwhile upgrade I won't bother.
What do you think guys?

It will change the sound of the dac question will it be better or worse?  its a stab in the dark
what else would you like to add or take away on your system
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:32 PM »
I'd say it's worth a try G.  It will most certainly change the sound (either for the better or worse, is up to your setup and most importantly, your preference :)

I was talking to Braddles on the weekend and he was saying how he has tried the DIR9001 and the WM8805 spdif receiver boards on his Audio-GD NFB-2 and says they give different presentations.  One was smoother and other was more cleaner, stronger punchier bass.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 02:16:41 PM »
Not an apples with apples comparison, but my Monica DAC used CS8414 in its V2 config, for the V3 config the receiver was changed to DIR 9001 - general consensus amongst users was that it was a definite improvement.
There is also a published tweak for the DIR 9001 that involves lifting a couple of legs on the chip and setting them positive to further reduce jitter, bit fiddly but I thought it worthwhile.
Monica uses TDA 1545 chip with EIAJ rather than I2S input.
How this might translate for the Satch I have no idea.

Offline ozcal

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2011, 05:50:20 PM »
Thanks guy's , guess I will just have to take the punt.
Mario , what I don't want to do is go backwards in terms of musicality , in this case I mean PRAT or foot tapability  :D
 I don't want the tonal balance to change or loose any timbral resolution,
So I know what I don't want to happen but in terms of improvement , well to be honest, I am not really sure as it sounds great on good recordings to my ears.
My problem is that all my references are getting pretty long in the tooth and without wishing to put anyones nose out of joint I haven't heard anything locally that I prefer.
I do wish I could get down to your place for a listen or over to Tuyens but at the mo things are a bit unstable health wise.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
Thanks guy's , guess I will just have to take the punt.
Mario , what I don't want to do is go backwards in terms of musicality , in this case I mean PRAT or foot tapability  :D
 I don't want the tonal balance to change or loose any timbral resolution,
So I know what I don't want to happen but in terms of improvement , well to be honest, I am not really sure as it sounds great on good recordings to my ears.
My problem is that all my references are getting pretty long in the tooth and without wishing to put anyones nose out of joint I haven't heard anything locally that I prefer.
I do wish I could get down to your place for a listen or over to Tuyens but at the mo things are a bit unstable health wise.
if your not sure what else you would like then leave it alone and enjoy it
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 06:50:15 PM »

pussy cat - you're no fun - cut the man some slack, he's probably going stir crazy confined to barracks.
 ;)

Offline ozcal

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:43:08 PM »

pussy cat - you're no fun - cut the man some slack, he's probably going stir crazy confined to barracks.
 ;)
He he , there is a lot of truth in what you say :D
Mario , I'll stop trying to improve my system when you do the same with yours :D :P
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 08:51:27 PM by ozcal »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 09:16:30 PM »

;)
He he , there is a lot of truth in what you say :D
Mario , I'll stop trying to improve my system when you do the same with yours :D :P
not much for me to go 16 duelunds in the system

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2011, 10:56:08 AM »
When your health improve, and you want a driver, give me a call and I should be available (most weekends anyway). And there should be enough space in the Tucson for you to bring any gear you want along to do any test you like (or take anything away :lol:)...

Gives me a chance to drop by my broken crappy TT and hope you can do some magic to it... :lol: :p

Offline ozcal

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:51:22 PM »
Hi T , thanks for the very kind offer but you  don't have to wait to bring over your TT.