Author Topic: Steve Nugent Offramp 4  (Read 6186 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Steve Nugent Offramp 4
« on: August 06, 2011, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi Guys

My Steve Nugent Offramp 4 has arrived and hooked it up to a WFS DAC which is to my ears the worse DAC I own - holey crap - its now above any other Saber based dac I have heard - even the JK Saber. I do not have any other DAC's with an input other than USB so can't comment on its effects on other DAC's right now. I will be taking it to Mikes who has an I2S PDX on Monday (Clay has made a cable to connect the two) and can comment further then. But things look very promising. Now the downside - it costs $1700.00.

The difference is the increased detail and better more controlled bass in the WFS with the Overdrive.  It seems to have reduced the sibilance and cold top end of the WFS - the slight upper mid-range lower treble glare may have been reduced as well - but not to the same degree.  Now I would definitely say its better than the John Kenny Saber - but bear in mind its cost.

Anyway more info later when I have had a chance to connect it to more DAC's.

But my gut feeling right now is this could be the USB input you Killer DAC guys really want to check out rather than the Edel or JK.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 09:07:31 PM by bhobba »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Steve Nugent Offramp 4
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 02:04:40 PM »
Hi Guys

My Steve Nugent Offramp 4 has arrived and hooked it up to a WFS DAC which is to my ears the worse DAC I own - holey crap - its now above any other Saber based dac I have heard - even the JK Saber. I do not have any other DAC's with an input other than USB so can't comment on its effects on other DAC's right now. I will be taking it to Mikes who has an I2S PDX on Monday (Clay has made a cable to connect the two) and can comment further then. But things look very promising. Now the downside - it costs $1700.00.

The difference is the increased detail and better more controlled bass in the WFS with the Overdrive.  It seems to have reduced the sibilance and cold top end of the WFS - the slight upper mid-range lower treble glare may have been reduced as well - but not to the same degree.  Now I would definitely say its better than the John Kenny Saber - but bear in mind its cost.

Anyway more info later when I have had a chance to connect it to more DAC's.

But my gut feeling right now is this could be the USB input you Killer DAC guys really want to check out rather than the Edel or JK.

Thanks
Bill

This could be the end of m2tech boards bill
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 07:31:29 PM »
This could be the end of m2tech boards bill

For me and some others who don't mind spending the dosh - maybe - but there is the cost.

Thanks
Bill

Offline bhobba

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 08:17:34 AM »
Hi Guys

Tried to get this working on an I2S PDX with a special cable that had been made to connect the Off-Ramp and PDX. Bummer - could not get it working. I have no doubt it can be sorted out but since the guy that made the cable is doing this for me as a favour I won't put him to any more trouble at this stage. What was decided is I am getting a new PDX made (the current one I have really belongs to a friend) and that will have both a modified M2Tech input and I2S input. While it is being constructed I have been assured they will be able to get the connection to the Off-Ramp working for sure. This will also allow easy comparison to the PDX's usual USB input. So checking this out on an I2S DAC will have to wait.

My Burson DA-160 also arrived and I had a quick listen with another guy. First up was with the Off-Ramp. Very good - just a touch of warmth to my ears compared to the Burson HA-160D. But it was thought a lot of the performance was from the Off-Ramp so we tried it via its USB. Surprise surprise - it was actually better which left both of us scratching out heads. So we went back to using the Off-Ramp but this time with no upsampling. Yes it was better than upsampled - but we didn't have time to check if it was better than USB. I now have it in my system and will give further impressions as my listening progresses.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:23:08 AM by bhobba »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 11:03:05 AM »
Hi Guys

Tried to get this working on an I2S PDX with a special cable that had been made to connect the Off-Ramp and PDX. Bummer - could not get it working. I have no doubt it can be sorted out but since the guy that made the cable is doing this for me as a favour I won't put him to any more trouble at this stage. What was decided is I am getting a new PDX made (the current one I have really belongs to a friend) and that will have both a modified M2Tech input and I2S input. While it is being constructed I have been assured they will be able to get the connection to the Off-Ramp working for sure. This will also allow easy comparison to the PDX's usual USB input. So checking this out on an I2S DAC will have to wait.

My Burson DA-160 also arrived and I had a quick listen with another guy. First up was with the Off-Ramp. Very good - just a touch of warmth to my ears compared to the Burson HA-160D. But it was thought a lot of the performance was from the Off-Ramp so we tried it via its USB. Surprise surprise - it was actually better which left both of us scratching out heads. So we went back to using the Off-Ramp but this time with no upsampling. Yes it was better than upsampled - but we didn't have time to check if it was better than USB. I now have it in my system and will give further impressions as my listening progresses.

Thanks
Bill

Bill,

What is happening with your Edel board?

Is it possible I can have a look at it and see whether it is physically possible to:

a) but 2 x Zen killer clocks on it and
b) add a reclocked I2S out of it
c) put some decent power supplies on it.
d) all of the above whilst retaining Edels galvanic isolation

That would be a pretty big job and I  imagine a complete additional pcb would be required
however if possible - I'd put it up against anything.

cheers

Terry

Offline bhobba

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 12:19:33 AM »

Is it possible I can have a look at it and see whether it is physically possible to:

That would be a pretty big job and I  imagine a complete additional pcb would be required

Hi Terry

I was chatting to Mike about it and the outcome was he was going to contact you to see how you may be able to help.  It looks like he hasn't got around to that yet.  I am more than happy for you to have a look at it.  Simply drop Mike a line and we can make arrangements for you to get a hold of it.  I will send Mike an Email saying its OK to send it to you.  I am game if you are to see if it can be hotted up and have a shootout between it, the Off-ramp and a modified M2Tech to see which is the best USB solution.

Thanks
Bill

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
Empirical Audio Products
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:35:50 AM »
Interesting comments about the Offramp 4.  I have not heard it but have used a Pacecar and SB3 connected i2s to an Aya II.  I had the same impression of the improvement to the sound.  I had taken it out of the system for a month for some repairs, that turned out to be a bad wallwart, and when I reinstalled it, I could really hear the benefits of the Pacecar.  I did have an Empirical Audio modified AckDac that was quite outstanding.  I am saving for the Overdrive dac he produces, as I have had nothing but positive experiences with the equipment and dealings with Steve Nugent.  The prices may seem steep, but the value to me is clearly there.

tuyen

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 01:44:20 AM »
Hi Dana,

Nice to see you managed to join our little forum :)

I believe we have another member here (omodo) who runs an AYA II too. Only good things to say about it.. 

Would be keen to see how your setup is going if you have a chance to do a little writeup (with photos if possible) of your setup!

Tuyen

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
Glad to Be Here
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 01:53:36 AM »
Thanks, Tuyen.  I will try to do this by the weekend.  Everything is in a little bit of disarray at the moment, but what the hell!  Will be moving from Vietnam back to the States by the end of the year.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 09:13:34 AM »

Hi Terry

I was chatting to Mike about it and the outcome was he was going to contact you to see how you may be able to help.  It looks like he hasn't got around to that yet.  I am more than happy for you to have a look at it.  Simply drop Mike a line and we can make arrangements for you to get a hold of it.  I will send Mike an Email saying its OK to send it to you.  I am game if you are to see if it can be hotted up and have a shootout between it, the Off-ramp and a modified M2Tech to see which is the best USB solution.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks Bill, I'll speak to Mike

cheers

T