Author Topic: pure red copper?  (Read 9579 times)

Offline yarhevarhe

• Liked: 0
pure red copper?
« on: September 08, 2017, 08:15:58 PM »
Does anyone know what pure red copper is?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: pure red copper?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2017, 08:19:49 PM »
I was told it could handle high temperature, but is it just a red coating. I know it sounds colder, more analytical than the yellow stuff. WHY

Offline yarhevarhe

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2017, 02:58:57 AM »
I will see what I can find out,...hopefully something

Offline yarhevarhe

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2017, 11:51:12 PM »
It would appear that pure red copper can be many types of Copper... T2, T3, TU1, TU2, TP1, TP2, C11000 and there are probably other types.  The purity seems to be 99.9% and higher.   Overall, quite a few types and it seems to also depend on the country of origin.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 02:28:56 PM »
I have been to a transformers manufacturer, He said they use the high temperature red coloured wire because it is more robust, and they find it more reliable and less returns. Is that true, no idea. does the yellow wire have a lower melting point. It does have a sound that is very different than the yellow wire and not to my liking, but it will also be so system dependant.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 02:33:18 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline yarhevarhe

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 07:10:43 PM »
Can types beryllium copper (BeCu/CuBe) be red in colour?    It would appear that red copper can also be beryllium based copper (BeCu/CuBe), which can be red in colour, but I don't think that they would be called pure red wire.

OCC/CCC copper can be red in colour https://www.ebay.com/p/20awg-OCC-Pure-Solid-Copper-Magnet-Wire/913168059?iid=112418636937

I have been to a transformer manufacturer, He said they use the high temperature red coloured wire because it is more robust, and they find it more reliable and less returns. Is that true, no idea. does the yellow wire have a lower melting point.
Which type/designation of red wire did the transformer manufacturer say that they use?

It does have a sound that is very different than the yellow wire and not to my liking, but it will also be so system dependant.
Which type/designation of red wire have you listened to?   
I would have thought that a yellow colour would be brass, which can be yellowish, but do you know the type/designation of the yellow wire that you are familiar with?

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 12:08:13 PM »
I have been to a transformers manufacturer, He said they use the high temperature red coloured wire because it is more robust, and they find it more reliable and less returns. Is that true, no idea. does the yellow wire have a lower melting point. It does have a sound that is very different than the yellow wire and not to my liking, but it will also be so system dependant.

Steve,

That's the insulation not the copper. There are various grades of insulation broadly speaking single land double layer, low temp and high temp.
Generally the very dark red is high temp double insulated. Jim usually uses this for reliability reasons.
You may hear very slight difference between the various colour wires, however the transformer core / how hard it's run
will have a bigger effect on the sound for sure.

I had a Marshall that had a kind of weird buzz and didn't sound quite right. Ended up being transformer mounting bolts shorting out on the
end caps constituting a kind of shorted turn and lots of eddy current losses. When I looked at the heater wave form there was a very sharp
spike that was the core 'snapping' off. Make sure your transformer has the little insulating washers on the bolts.

T

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 07:30:21 PM »
It seems coatings do make wire sound different, just look at the Alpha Core Goertz's M 1 from parts connection. That cable has a coating probably to stop oxidation, and the exact same cable but T2 version that you can only get direct from Goertz has no coating, the T2 version is so much better then the other, WHY. Ask Faraday's laws.   

Offline yarhevarhe

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2017, 07:51:21 PM »
I wonder if Faraday and Newton would  succeed with setting up a sensational audio system?    Thiele and Small were very clever, thank goodness for their research, they were very clever, indeed.   There have been many clever researchers, thank goodness for their research, they have been very helpful, indeed, but I wonder how much has been lost? 

So, what exactly is pure red copper?    I guess it is a mystery like Alpha copper?   The mystery, continues? 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:54:52 PM by yarhevarhe »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2018, 11:00:59 AM »
I like cotton dialetric.    Sounds more natural.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.