Author Topic: IEC C15 Connector wanted  (Read 3138 times)

Offline onthebeach

• Liked: 75
IEC C15 Connector wanted
« on: October 07, 2017, 03:09:20 PM »
I have a nice long length of Yamamura power cable I have bought via SG and I want to cut it in half ( :-\ ) and make 2 cables out of it for my 807 amps I've recently bought from Falls audio.
I have the Furutech IEC the cable came with and I have 2 Aus AC plugs. So I just need one C15 IEC.

Any recommendations for a cheaper quality connector without me buying a new Furutech??

If anyone has a spare quality one laying around I would be interested.

cheers

nath

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: IEC C15 Connector wanted
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 12:24:32 PM »
Hi Nath.  I would recommend matching the manufacturer when it comes to plugs and sockets.  This way at least you know it's made to fit.  :o :o  Whilst that may seem obvious you'd be surprised what's inside a lot of basic mains IEC connectors, some of them are real shockers. :-X

One piece of advice I would offer is to get some standard black electrical tape and wrap 2 turns around the IEC plug end, this ensures a tighter fit of the plug into the socket and helps prevent it coming lose.  You can also get spring clips mounted to the socket which locks over the input plug which a lot of pro gear uses.

Furutech gets a thumbs up from me.  They are a cut above the usual run of the mill connectors.  You are getting into bling territory price wise with their rhodium plated offerings but they do not dull off like so many others.

There is such a small contact area in many of these IEC's that they can be spark generators and give rise to noise.  Buy right and buy once comes to mind, the cable deserves it and so does your ears.

A gas tight soldered or compression crimp is a better way of getting the electrons into your devices but a whole lot more aggro that most are unwilling to undertake!

Below are some images of IEC connectors.  I think they are pretty dire with their small contact areas; it's not until you move up to the 20amp kind that you get better quality and contact areas IMV. All the IP rated connectors are considerably better too, but butt ugly!  IEC's are cheap and can be fitted to smaller devices hence their proliferation.

Happy listening. ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.