Author Topic: Comparison Of Burson, WFS, Tranquility, and JK Saber  (Read 3809 times)

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
Comparison Of Burson, WFS, Tranquility, and JK Saber
« on: August 11, 2011, 12:40:23 PM »
Hi Guys

First Mike contacted me and they will be replacing the Burson. A+ to Burson for correcting faults.

Have the Burson direct connected to my Patek and am using Pure Music. Just finished listening to some Roy Orbison and have now switched to Rebecca Pidgeon Hi Res Retrospectives. When fed with the Offramp it really does flow in a beautiful and natural way and does not have the dryness of the John Kenny Saber.

Have completed a listening session against the WFS DAC2 fed by its USB and the Offramp. Via the USB the WFS DAC2 is soundly beaten. I preferred the WFS to the Burson HA-160D I had for a short time due to its increased detail but for sure I find the natural flow of the Burson better than the increased detail of the WFS with its glare, coldness and sibilance - no contest to my ears. But feed the WFS with the Offramp - Wow Wow - afraid the Burson is beaten. The detail and bass is staggering - I have not heard anything to touch it. It does not flow like the Burson - in fact its very in your face - but the coldness, glare and sibilance if not gone is reduced considerably. Do you want to relax into your music - then the Burson is the go - but the Trainquility is probably better at it - but does require a pre-amp and is USB only. But do you want something to excite you and whack you in the face - get the WFS and feed it with the Offramp - amazing. Its not dry like the JK Saber either.

Ok I am starting to form a few preliminary views of the DAC's in this price range - the Burson, the WFS, the JK Saber, and Tranquility. Forget about the WFS fed by its USB. If you like a free flowing easy to listen to presentation devoid of any trace of nastiness and would like to save money by direct connecting to your amp then the Burson is the go - it is not the last word in detail though - good - but other DAC's are better. If you like an analogue like sound with good detail close to the best out there (but beatable) and are willing to get a pre amp and only use USB - then the Tranquility is for you. Do you want a very neutral DAC and don't mind a slight trace of dryness (do not try it on dry bright speakers - it will not work well) that has close to the best possible detail and bass - get the John Kenny Saber. But if you want an excitement machine, really in your face with the best bass and detail I have heard the WFS fed by the Offramp will really fit the bill. But I have to say that will cost you $2700.00 and for that price you can get a PDX with built in pre amp or a Killer that will blow any of those DAC's away. But that $2700 could be reduced considerably to about $1500 by using an Audiopehlo 2 or JK Hiface Mark 3 - but may not scale the heights the Offramp with Turboclocks does.

Thanks
Bill