Author Topic: Special TDA DAC commemoration edition from the Lampizator  (Read 55687 times)

Offline wisnon

• Liked: 0
Special TDA DAC commemoration edition from the Lampizator
« on: August 22, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.239790472725871.57076.100000847605447&type=1

Very interesting development. It would make a nice comparison with the KILLER DAC.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Special TDA DAC commemoration edition from the Lampizator
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 03:43:20 PM »
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.239790472725871.57076.100000847605447&type=1

Very interesting development. It would make a nice comparison with the KILLER DAC.
Wisnon. Had a look, but the link did not work. Interestingly there is a Lampizator dac in Melbourne, and they where talking about it on the SNA forum, but nobody seems to be that keen on it. certainly no rave revue. I must say i expected more from one of his Dacs. But to be fair i have looked at his work on the different stuff he mods,  and he gets to his final result (Sound) in a different way than i do. He does not know the valves to use in his Dacs, but i guess the valves he uses, are cheap and plentiful.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 03:50:16 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline gthicm

Dac tube output choices
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 07:33:37 PM »

Wisnon. Had a look, but the link did not work. Interestingly there is a Lampizator dac in Melbourne, and they where talking about it on the SNA forum, but nobody seems to be that keen on it. certainly no rave revue. I must say i expected more from one of his Dacs. But to be fair i have looked at his work on the different stuff he mods,  and he gets to his final result (Sound) in a different way than i do. He does not know the valves to use in his Dacs, but i guess the valves he uses, are cheap and plentiful.
I agree with you Steve, at least with respect to the implementation of his output stage.  I think that it has a lot more to do with that than his choice of tubes.  As is apparent, everyone has different likes and dislikes.  A while ao I became aware of the D3A tube from Germany developed for the German Postal Service.  It is a pentode, but has high gain and is quiet triode strapped.  What about using that in a dac output stage?

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 07:48:44 PM »

This cap is a gigantic Silver/Mica military cap which is good till giga-Hertz, and it sounds heavenly as S/PDIF transmitting cap.
The king (or really queen mother) of all DACs - Philips TDA1541A in my rather radical application. I did everything from scratch, using the experience from over 100 TDA players which I lampized before.
The TDA supply (very quality sensitive) is provided by three LM317 regulators, dedicated transformer, and a handful of Roedenstein Tantalum caps, Sanyo OScon Polymer electrolytes and Philips orange heads. Only then the TDA sings !
The output caps are the legendary Jensens from Denmark. The original Copper Foil Paper in Oil, made famous by Audionote Level5 products. At 1uF they are of monstrous size like cans of beverage.
The supplies to the DAC are based on 8 shottky rectifiers and orange head filter caps
Tubed rectifier of the high voltage power supply based on Soviet military 6c5s dual diode
The first cap after the dual diode is Polish military paper in oil TELPOD of monstrous size !
The anode supplies have no less than 3 custom chokes, one 20H and two 40H ones for each channel.
The analog stage tubed circuit is SRPP dual triode , based on the Soviet military supertubes 6N2P and using red MLT Soviet metal film resistor which I love for detailed sound.
The tubes are mounted upside down and visible from under the chassis. The sockets are ceramic, with gold plated pins and all signal wiring is silver in teflon monostrand.
The DAC receiver chip before the TDA is a newest one from 2011, so in this "marriage" the groom is 25 years older than the bride. To my knowledge no one applied TDA with such superb receiver which is miles ahead of CS8112 or 8114 or 8416. It is supplied by three separate regulated lines with Rubycon MCZ ultra low ESR caps.
The anode supply has separate dedicated custom EI transformer for 200V AC
The toroidal transformer is a 100VA type with separate secondary for heating each of the 3 tubes individually. The transformer is wrapped in Alpha Core Goertz copper tape from Sweden (for shielding).
The general view of Level 4DAC with SDE extension (Super Duper Edition) to mark first Anniversary of Lampizator as a business . To make something radically different I chose the TDA1541A legendary chip to be the heart of my DAC.
The above description is taken from facebook
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:19:15 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
Re: Dac tube output choices
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:42:27 PM »

Wisnon. Had a look, but the link did not work. Interestingly there is a Lampizator dac in Melbourne, and they where talking about it on the SNA forum, but nobody seems to be that keen on it. certainly no rave revue. I must say i expected more from one of his Dacs. But to be fair i have looked at his work on the different stuff he mods,  and he gets to his final result (Sound) in a different way than i do. He does not know the valves to use in his Dacs, but i guess the valves he uses, are cheap and plentiful.
I agree with you Steve, at least with respect to the implementation of his output stage.  I think that it has a lot more to do with that than his choice of tubes.  As is apparent, everyone has different likes and dislikes.  A while ao I became aware of the D3A tube from Germany developed for the German Postal Service.  It is a pentode, but has high gain and is quiet triode strapped.  What about using that in a dac output stage?
Well, Mario has posted pictures. There is some OK parts there, but its way too complicated, and all those electrolytic caps, No NO No. The chip is an early Holland 1987, OK sound but not the best, He could do better example, Studer Holland double crown. I like that he uses some old oil caps. Funny thing is that its a complicated mess with good and then some ordinary parts but you never know it may sound better than we think it will.  I say it will be good sounding, but not amazing. As for the D3A tube from Germany There is so many tubes we can use, the only thing you can do is try it and see. I have a massive tube inventory, but no one has time to try them all.  I have even used a STC 3A/167M (very good) as an output tube for the DAC.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:55:38 PM by stevenvalve »

tuyen

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:21 PM »
Indeed the D3a tube is very good one to try. Me and hens have heard an old Sony Cd spinner hooked upto a tube output stage based on the D3a tube.  We were very impressed.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 09:02:10 PM »
Yes, but where does it end, Maybe,we are (audiophiles) as my girl said, All mentally ill, Are they dual triode. If he runs them in SRPP, then yes. Mario try one of these tubes and give me a report.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 09:27:38 PM »
Yes, but where does it end, Maybe,we are (audiophiles) as my girl said, All mentally ill, Are they dual triode. If he runs them in SRPP, then yes. Mario try one of these tubes and give me a report.
I will stick with the tubes i have now but i could try them in a pdx ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 09:40:23 PM »
http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1051&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

simulations, measurements - probably best you not click on that link mario... ;)

hint: schematic is in the ltspice files

4 tubes as its a phono stage, the output is choke loaded common cathode d3a triode connected
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:42:20 PM by omodo »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »
http://www.intactaudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1051&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30

simulations, measurements - probably best you not click on that link mario... ;)

4 tubes as its a phono stage, the output is choke loaded common cathode d3a triode connected
measurements are no good i can't listen to them ;)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 09:49:02 PM »

Are you going to build one?
You build it and measure it and i will listen to it and modd it ;)

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 10:06:43 PM »

I've tried the d3a once before, the main problem is it's super high gain (77 mu) which is more than double the 6922 (at 33 mu), even with a low i/v resistor, 18r from memory, the output was very high, I tried stepping it down using a lundahl ll1660 line transformer wired as 4.5:1 with a highish i/v, around 56r or 65r, one of the two, and it wasn't too bad but in the end I preferred Pedja's output stage so disconnected it.. might be better with all the killerdac power supplies and what not but the gain will still be an issue unless you deal with it somehow

Offline kajak12

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:38 PM »

I've tried the d3a once before, the main problem is it's super high gain (77 mu) which is more than double the 6922 (at 33 mu), even with a low i/v resistor, 18r from memory, the output was very high, I tried stepping it down using a lundahl ll1660 line transformer wired as 4.5:1 with a highish i/v, around 56r or 65r, one of the two, and it wasn't too bad but in the end I preferred Pedja's output stage so disconnected it.. might be better with all the killerdac power supplies and what not but the gain will still be an issue unless you deal with it somehow
Too much work and not enough know how for me if you cant get it my chance are none and fcuk all,unless zenelectro or paul baker can help me out.
ps:have you tried a pdx yet?

Offline gthicm

Who needs tubes?
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 10:22:23 PM »

The D3A is a single triode, so SRPP for two channels would require 4 tubes, as would mu follower, which is what Tuyen's photo might be.  Again, and I know that reasonable minds would differ, I would not bother with SRPP.  Don't like it.  The gain may be too much with the D3A, but whatever gain there is, it is plenty clean.  Stockpiled two dozen of these things for future use.  I am using a pair in a phono stage now.  Very clean sound.

As to Rogic's design, it is really great and revealing and look Ma, no tubes!  He uses transinductance opamps with no negative feedback, so it is really not an opamp configuration.  I think that it also uses JFETs and the IV resistance presented to the dac chip outputs is very low impedance.  I prefer this solid state circuit to the tubed circuits I have heard, even with the stock electrolytics for decoupling.  Heresy!
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:26:03 PM by gthicm »

Offline kajak12

Re: Who needs tubes?
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:01 PM »

The D3A is a single triode, so SRPP for two channels would require 4 tubes, as would mu follower, which is what Tuyen's photo might be.  Again, and I know that reasonable minds would differ, I would not bother with SRPP.  Don't like it.  The gain may be too much with the D3A, but whatever gain there is, it is plenty clean.  Stockpiled two dozen of these things for future use.  I am using a pair in a phono stage now.  Very clean sound.

As to Rogic's design, it is really great and revealing and look Ma, no tubes!  
No tubes no magic  ;) imho sna style clean means what? i am after timbre,texture, emotion
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:33:41 PM by kajak12 »

Offline gthicm

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 10:38:22 PM »

No tubes no magic  ;) imho sna style clean means what? i am after timbre,texture, emotion
Well, whatever.  Many would argue that you are after distortion and harmonics.  If you like that, cool.  For a toobular D3A phono you can easily build, have a look here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/quanghao-audio-design/161394-old-thread-hi-end-phono-preamplifier-andrea-ciuffoli.html

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 10:42:08 PM »

Well, whatever.  Many would argue that you are after distortion and harmonics.  If you like that, cool.  For a toobular D3A phono you can easily build, have a look here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/quanghao-audio-design/161394-old-thread-hi-end-phono-preamplifier-andrea-ciuffoli.html

Dont natural instruments have harmonics?  The last time i played an accoustic guitar it had plenty of lovely harmonics.
Distortion? You have yet to hear a great valve amp or valve dac it sounds like real music not a cardboard cutout imho sna style
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 10:48:27 PM by kajak12 »

Offline wisnon

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 10:48:49 PM »

Wisnon. Had a look, but the link did not work. Interestingly there is a Lampizator dac in Melbourne, and they where talking about it on the SNA forum, but nobody seems to be that keen on it. certainly no rave revue. I must say i expected more from one of his Dacs. But to be fair i have looked at his work on the different stuff he mods,  and he gets to his final result (Sound) in a different way than i do. He does not know the valves to use in his Dacs, but i guess the valves he uses, are cheap and plentiful.

How old? What level?

Since April he has made a quantum leap from even Level 2.5 and has been upgrading older models at reasonable costs. The new StereoMojo review is NOT (correction) on the latest Level 4, Generation 3 and it uses the passive summator circuit in single ended (March build). RAVE reviews all over the place. I have 5 other (new) friends who bought like me and I got direct feedback over the phone or via email. I have seen about 20 other positive/raving feedback reports. Most comparing the sound to analog and asking if it can even do the unthinkable...

The stereomojo review (though raving) is actually slightly milder than the in-person feedback I have gotten. Let us see what the blog owner of www.digitalaudioblog.som says when he gets his L4 later this week.

I think Lukasz is onto something here!
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:11:26 PM by wisnon »

Offline gthicm

The magic of tubes
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 10:57:37 PM »

Well, whatever.  Many would argue that you are after distortion and harmonics.  If you like that, cool.  For a toobular D3A phono you can easily build, have a look here.

Dont natural instruments have harmonics?  The last time i played an accoustic guitar it had plenty of lovely harmonics.
Distortion? You have yet to hear a great valve amp or valve dac it sounds like real music not a cardboard cutout imho sna style
Of course there are harmonics.  There are natural harmonics and then added harmonics that are not natural.  As to whether I have heard the sound of tubes and as to wwhether I appreciate them, let me do a count in my current two systems.  There are 63 tubes, 24 of which are power tubes, not to mention tube regulated power supplies.  The topologies are push pull power, SET and DSET power and preamplification and Aikido in preamplification.  No SRPP at the moment, but it would be ok as a driver for an amp, but surely not for a preamp or dac output, IMHO. I like the sound of tubes, but that is not to say that a properly designed solid state configuration sounds bad or not as good as tubes. BTW, what is SNA?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 10:58:16 PM »

How old? What level?

Since April he has made a quantum leap from even Level 2.5 and has been upgrading older models at reasonable costs. The new StereoMojo review is on the latest Level 4, Generation 3 and it uses the active summator circuit in single ended. RAVE reviews all over the place. I have 5 other (new) friends who bought like me and I got direct feedback over the phone or via email. I have seen about 20 other positive/raving feedback reports. Most comparing the sound to analog and asking if it can even do the unthinkable...

The stereomojo review (though raving) is actually slightly milder than the in-person feedback I have gotten. Let us see what the blog owner of www.digitalaudioblog.som says when he gets his L4 later this week.

I think Lukasz is onto something here!
Steromojo is a waste of time in the last dac shootout they used monarchy amps they are  crap good only for a boat anchor,so to me what stereomojo writes means nothing as they cant even set a system up properly if they had any idea about music they would not use monarchy audio amplification,before you ask yes i had one for a demo a few years back even modded its average and good for back ground music while your  mowing the back lawn.(and i am serious)
So to get any credibility what transports and systems are run with the lampizator dacs,so many times reviews are written based on ordinary to average front ends which don't do justice to music in the first place.