Author Topic: Special TDA DAC commemoration edition from the Lampizator  (Read 55655 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Special TDA DAC commemoration edition from the Lampizator
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2011, 04:41:30 PM »
The weird thing about this lampzator TDA1541A dac, he is selling on Ebay is it uses a very ordinary sounding TDA1541A early 1987 chip. I have about 100 TDA1541A chips and about 5 the same as this, yet he said the dac is nearly as good as his best, so if you put one of my brilliant late Holland S2s  it will be on an other planet. What does this say for his top dac.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:05:53 PM by kajak12 »

Offline wisnon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2011, 06:24:15 PM »
It is a great product besting others at higher prices. Great guy making it as well.

Not just my opinion either.

Yes, the truth is out there and armchair quarterbacking wont find it. Try to get a listen and make up your own mind. Mine is!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The product cant speak for itself if nobody knows of it and nobody auditions it.

I COULD just keep quiet and keep this remarkable discovery to myself or I could try to share by getting the word out. I chose the latter and its my choice to make.

BTW, the Mojo review was done with a March build. The Generation 3 was finalized in April, so they did not even hear the latest build Level 4 with the new summation circuit and tweaked parameters. I know this as my own DAC was updated in July with the latest and greatest. The latest Level 2 will give the older Level for a run for its money. The new Level 4 is game over. Read all the evolving feedback at www.lampzatorforum.com
Your level of performance here is at an unknown level. Understand for me and others here your idea of great may to some of us, be ordinary. Talk is cheap. What the feedback at lampzatorforum forum, say is meaningless, allmost all have no idea what great is. The truth is there is so much bullsh!t flying around by the blind, leading the blind.  As for game over, well it never is.
UHHH,

I meant game over for HIS line of products.

It is meant to be compared to COMMERCIAL products. Even on his website he says that it is possible that DIY builds out there may best his. DIY builds are completley unconstrained by ANY commercial reality and so can be anything.

Forgive me if I gave the impression that this was a comparison to leading edge DIY. That is still the gold standard, even for me, despite the impression you seem to have drawn from my posts.

However, do not discount this boutique quality/DIY-inspired commercial offering. For us non-techie/non-DIY type, this product pushes the envelope enormously.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 07:22:31 PM by wisnon »

Offline wisnon

« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2011, 06:27:01 PM »
The weird thing about this lampzator TDA1541A dac, he is selling on Ebay is it uses a very ordinary sounding TDA1541A early 1987 chip. I have about 100 TDA1541A chips and about 5 the same as this, yet he said the dac is nearly as good as his best, so if you put one of my brilliant late Holland S2s  it will be on an other planet. That does this say for his top dac.

Maybe you can send him one to do a build and see how it turns out??? That would be interesting.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2011, 09:14:11 PM »
Your minds are already made up. Good luck to you in your quest.

One thing I know about Lukasz is that he is NOT a BS artist. If you followed his work as long as you said, you would know this too. His receiver chip is a video DSP chip with audio only enabled and its 24 bit.
I can tell you 2 important things i have followed fikus  for a long time,i admire his dedication to audio modding and tweaking and now also manufacturing,however i have seen him write on his forum about the sqeezebox modded by him,we have a sb modded in perth to his specks and its well below my reference line of a transport,yet he was full of praise so his reference is not what my reference is.I do wish him all the best in the future, we do have something in common we are both polish  :D
Ps:What system do you run at home besides the lampizator dac?
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2011, 09:42:47 PM »
It is a great product besting others at higher prices. Great guy making it as well.

Not just my opinion either.

Yes, the truth is out there and armchair quarterbacking wont find it. Try to get a listen and make up your own mind. Mine is!

The proof of the pudding is in the eating. The product cant speak for itself if nobody knows of it and nobody auditions it.

I COULD just keep quiet and keep this remarkable discovery to myself or I could try to share by getting the word out. I chose the latter and its my choice to make.

BTW, the Mojo review was done with a March build. The Generation 3 was finalized in April, so they did not even hear the latest build Level 4 with the new summation circuit and tweaked parameters. I know this as my own DAC was updated in July with the latest and greatest. The latest Level 2 will give the older Level for a run for its money. The new Level 4 is game over. Read all the evolving feedback at www.lampzatorforum.com
Your level of performance here is at an unknown level. Understand for me and others here your idea of great may to some of us, be ordinary. Talk is cheap. What the feedback at lampzatorforum forum, say is meaningless, allmost all have no idea what great is. The truth is there is so much bullsh!t flying around by the blind, leading the blind.  As for game over, well it never is.
UHHH,

I meant game over for HIS line of products.

It is meant to be compared to COMMERCIAL products. Even on his website he says that it is possible that DIY builds out there may best his. DIY builds are completley unconstrained by ANY commercial reality and so can be anything.

Forgive me if I gave the impression that this was a comparison to leading edge DIY. That is still the gold standard, even for me, despite the impression you seem to have drawn from my posts.

However, do not discount this boutique quality/DIY-inspired commercial offering. For us non-techie/non-DIY type, this product pusheds the envelope enormously.
Well said. Luckily i am not constrained with any parts, Except finding the vintage stuff i use is a big problem. I use what works new and old. Price is never a consideration.

Offline wisnon

« Reply #45 on: August 24, 2011, 06:57:53 AM »
Your minds are already made up. Good luck to you in your quest.

One thing I know about Lukasz is that he is NOT a BS artist. If you followed his work as long as you said, you would know this too. His receiver chip is a video DSP chip with audio only enabled and its 24 bit.
I can tell you 2 important things i have followed fikus  for a long time,i admire his dedication to audio modding and tweaking and now also manufacturing,however i have seen him write on his forum about the sqeezebox modded by him,we have a sb modded in perth to his specks and its well below my reference line of a transport,yet he was full of praise so his reference is not what my reference is.I do wish him all the best in the future, we do have something in common we are both polish  :D
Ps:What system do you run at home besides the lampizator dac?

What IS YOUR reference Transport? His were: http://lampizator.eu/LAMPIZATOR/TRANSPORT/Transports/tlzeroVSaudionote.html

That SB modded by him is not his commercial transport that is found here:
http://lampizator.eu/szop/szopproducts/LZ-TRANSPORT/Lampizator%20transport.html

I am running Mac pre/power vintage, NAD Rowen Swiss power integrated/ Heil AMT Syrinx and Aulos speakers and SPDIF/power cap modded SBox receiver with linear power supply from the DAC. Also Onkyo SACD/DVD-a/CD players one outputting DSD. 2nd small system used SB Touch Bantam Gold Class D low distortion amp and Davis Dufy bookshelves. I also have vintage Celestion 3s.

Nowhere near as expensive as the setup at the local dealer where they have Cary source/Manley amps and YG Acoutics Anat reference speakers, but I have enough material to work with to make good music. Still my buddy's Emerald Physics CS2.3s best even the YGs for that "LIVE" experience and they are not even properly set up yet.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 07:11:52 AM by wisnon »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #46 on: August 24, 2011, 09:31:28 AM »
Hi wisnon,

Welcome to our forum!

Our reference transport here is all based on Philips CDM-1 transport, e.g. Marantz CD94, Wadia 3200, Philips CD 960 and so on. We dumped SPDIF in favour of I2S to connect the transport to the killerDAC, very worthwhile upgrade from my personal experience. An upgrade on the transport's clock is also another significant improvement, so far kajak12, Burson and Trichord clocks are our favourites here, however this may change soon with the upcoming zen clock, so stay tune!  ;)

Cheers,
William

Edit: I need to add CEC TL1 to that transport list. Another heavyweight and very musical transport, please don't ask why as I don't care about spec or measurements, all I care is my ears and musical enjoyment  :P IMHO, you don't need to spend big bucks to get great performance so you might want to give these vintage transports a try  :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:43:11 AM by Jehuty »
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline gthicm

Maximizing SB as transport
« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2011, 11:11:45 AM »
The price of the Lampizator transport is rather steep, at over 2,000 Euros.  For a bit less, once could set up an SB slaved to a Pace-Car from Empirical Audio.  In addition to outputting spdif, it can also output reclocked i2s.  To me, this is a much better solution.  Or, if one wants to avoid the Squeezebox altogether, the Emprical Audio Offramp offers the same flexibility.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Maximizing SB as transport
« Reply #48 on: August 24, 2011, 12:37:07 PM »
The price of the Lampizator transport is rather steep, at over 2,000 Euros.  For a bit less, once could set up an SB slaved to a Pace-Car from Empirical Audio.  In addition to outputting spdif, it can also output reclocked i2s.  To me, this is a much better solution.  Or, if one wants to avoid the Squeezebox altogether, the Emprical Audio Offramp offers the same flexibility.

That makes a lot of sense and I believe the Pace-Car is the only usb-I2S that ticks all my boxes (I think)

- low jitter clocks
- I2S reclocked
- low noise PSU's
- galvanic iso of I2S

Unfortunately with ALL the add ons (best clocks etc) it's up around $2k.

T

tuyen

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2011, 02:11:46 PM »
Hi Terry,

I'm sure you have a million other projects happening, but do you have plans to design/redesign a usb-i2s interface with those features anytime in the near future? Even if it is low on the priority list? :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #50 on: August 24, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
Good question Tuyen
Several people wanted to ask this and now you have.
One step at a time comes to mind, he is busy sourcing great crystals currently and I for one can hardly wait like a Kid waiting for Christmas to come (well for us Chrsitian types anyway).
It does seem like a logical progression but if I were in his shoes I would want to get the clock establihed first and recover financialy before more time and resources go into a interface.  With the reputation that will come from the 'zen clock' once it's out I can see he is going to be snowed under for quite some time.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #51 on: August 24, 2011, 03:49:19 PM »
Hi Terry,

I'm sure you have a million other projects happening, but do you have plans to design/redesign a usb-i2s interface with those features anytime in the near future? Even if it is low on the priority list? :)

Who said it was low on the priority list. :)

I have some 22M / 24M low jitter clocks coming + edel board. 

The clocks have about 30dB (30 x) better phase noise than the standard edel clocks at 100Hz offset so there is a good start right off.

I'll have a quick look at the board to see whether it is a suitable platform - they do tick most of the boxes and do have galv iso of I2S OP so it looks to be a good start.

A main concern with this board will be to manage the cost, the boards are not cheap to start with.

T

tuyen

« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2011, 04:03:24 PM »
Woohoo!  Great stuff  8)

Happily put my name down to be a prototype tester if you need!

Offline wisnon

« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2011, 04:07:51 PM »
Hi wisnon,

Welcome to our forum!

Our reference transport here is all based on Philips CDM-1 transport, e.g. Marantz CD94, Wadia 3200, Philips CD 960 and so on. We dumped SPDIF in favour of I2S to connect the transport to the killerDAC, very worthwhile upgrade from my personal experience. An upgrade on the transport's clock is also another significant improvement, so far kajak12, Burson and Trichord clocks are our favourites here, however this may change soon with the upcoming zen clock, so stay tune!  ;)

Cheers,
William

Edit: I need to add CEC TL1 to that transport list. Another heavyweight and very musical transport, please don't ask why as I don't care about spec or measurements, all I care is my ears and musical enjoyment  :P IMHO, you don't need to spend big bucks to get great performance so you might want to give these vintage transports a try  :)
Thanks William

Offline kajak12

« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2011, 07:18:33 PM »
Woohoo!  Great stuff  8)

Happily put my name down to be a prototype tester if you need!

Hey Hey Hey    No jumping the cue tuyen line up at the back of the line  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline gthicm

Reclockers
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2011, 10:22:02 PM »

That makes a lot of sense and I believe the Pace-Car is the only usb-I2S that ticks all my boxes (I think)

- low jitter clocks
- I2S reclocked
- low noise PSU's
- galvanic iso of I2S

T
Indeed, it is not an inexpensive solution, but everything is relative.  For example, what would it cost to acquire one of the preferred transports here, make modifications to it and then maintain it?  I think the cost is the same, or perhaps more, yet I doubt it would sound as good as the computer based solution.  To me and from my observations, as well as from a technical point of view, the computer based solution sounds better.  Plus, there is no Reed Solomon error correction so it is bit perfect, as well as better performance with respect to electrical and mechanical induced jitter.  This does not take into consideration the added convenience, as well.  A relatively stock version without the add ons sounds great, too.  I guess it is a question of diminishing returns.

Relative to the Lampizator solution, it is clearly less expensive and I think a clearly better solution.  A DIY solution is possible, but I do not think it would be that easy to implement.  For sure it is worth a try.  For the moment, the only choice for me is a Pace-Car SB solution.

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2011, 10:38:11 PM »
Wisnon,

From the above Lampizator diagram, what is an 'MR superclock'?

I have not heard of this.

cheers

Offline zenelectro

Re: Reclockers
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2011, 10:49:09 PM »

- low jitter clocks
- I2S reclocked
- low noise PSU's
- galvanic iso of I2S

T
Indeed, it is not an inexpensive solution, but everything is relative.  For example, what would it cost to acquire one of the preferred transports here, make modifications to it and then maintain it?  I think the cost is the same, or perhaps more, yet I doubt it would sound as good as the computer based solution.  To me and from my observations, as well as from a technical point of view, the computer based solution sounds better.  Plus, there is no Reed Solomon error correction so it is bit perfect, as well as better performance with respect to electrical and mechanical induced jitter.  This does not take into consideration the added convenience, as well.  A relatively stock version without the add ons sounds great, too.  I guess it is a question of diminishing returns.

Relative to the Lampizator solution, it is clearly less expensive and I think a clearly better solution.  A DIY solution is possible, but I do not think it would be that easy to implement.  For sure it is worth a try.  For the moment, the only choice for me is a Pace-Car SB solution.

WRT pace car, fully optioned looks good, the only thing I don't like is the I2S connector.

3 x BNC's is the go.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17:00 PM »
Wisnon,

From the above Lampizator diagram, what is an 'MR superclock'?

I have not heard of this.

cheers

You have not heard it but you can see it ; ;)

Offline gthicm

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2011, 11:21:17 PM »
WRT pace car, fully optioned looks good, the only thing I don't like is the I2S connector.

3 x BNC's is the go.

I believe that you can order it that way if you like, and for not much money.  Or, change it yourself, which is probably the easiest solution.  How long a run for i2s do you use?