General HIFI > Other DACs

Marantz 94 mark 2

(1/6) > >>

stevenvalve:
Ian was over a few days ago with his full house modified Marantz 94 Mark2. He has spent many years perfecting it to this level. In its present state it is just brilliant and yes it has no valves. Its the only DAC that has been through this door that went neck and neck with my killerDac, it was very clean clear and noise free (one of his aims) Black indeed around the notes and they appeared to come from empty space. The sound stage is not as big and it does not have quite the bloom as the KillerDac, but is very similar in timbre and texture as mine and what i really like is it is not bright or white, instruments sound real, unlike most digital playback. It has none of the slow plodding nature of standard Marantz 94s. It is relaxed, natural, smooth, and has presents, with a solid image focus, yum its nice. Shows you can build brilliant from just good. But before you run out and buy a Marantz 94 remember he has spent many years tuning this machine and he knows how to get all the hard to find esoteric capacitors and resistors, and most are not commercially available. Anyway i will not rave on any more, but hopefully he can come to this page and explain how it works. The pictures do not show the full story, because underneath there is a compartment stuffed with more toys. I really could live with this Marantz because it makes Music, They should have built them like this in the first place.

vitavoxdude:
Hi Steve and Ian :)
Yes indeed it would be great hearing a blow by blow account of the upgrade path Ian has traveled in order to be able to be praised by SG!!!  It must have a couple of great sounding TDA chips inside it then.  What other equipment is the CD spinner being used with??

For something with OP-amps in the output chain it does not always mean it's bad............I recently put some dexa discrites in place of some OP-amps and was shocked at how much better it performed all round. I tired to avoid the more usual Burson's etc.

It is easy to spot  a lot of the changes implemented, the changed dac decoupling caps, the obvious clock board and the diode replacements.  I remember those original POOGE articles and that couple of hundred page Marantz CD65 upgrades on the  DIY hifi site.

I would love for Ian to describe the process and give a guide to the uplift various stages took on.  This website could do with more helpful information and it will bring increased readership I feel.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

brenden:
Hi guys . I am travelling back home to Newcastle  at the moment. Rest assured  I will    post a detailed account  of  my  experiences  with  the Marantz cd 94 mk 2 as well as  other equipment  upgrades.
    One thing I will say now is that it is a holistic approach rather than using a super  TDA1541  double crown chip for example .  You need to reduce noise in every circuit  because its all connected .
  In digital ,  added noise means jitter . Capacitor quality  both in Electrolytic  and   film bypasses are critical to take things to the next level . Attention to clock power supply is critical as well as  the decoupling caps around the TDA1541  ( super sensitive )  .
     Thanks again to Steve  and Jen for being so welcoming   .It was an absolute  pleasure  to spend  quality  audio time   at their home . 

brenden:
  Its difficult to know  where to  start.  I could seriously  write a book  about  my  experiences .
       i bought   myself  a brand new  Marantz cd 94 mk2  around 1990  , but i was never satisfied with my sound  and , after being on the merry go round  for a number of years  buying and borrowing high end equipment it seemed that every substitution  always had tradeoffs  when it came to  musical satisfaction.
     My gear was mostly excellent  design and  build  quality  such as the Stax mono blocs Classe DR6  so  I came to the conclusion  that  it would be worth modifying  my  gear to  add refinement   to the reasonably  dynamic sound i had .
  During the late 90s i had performed literally thousands of mods  and built up a memory bank of  practical  experience  in what  worked and what didnt  . Not knowing  aĺl that much in theory  I wasnt constrained  by preconceived  ideas   so I tried  lots of radical  stuff back then . I was even running  battery clocks  a decade before  i realised there were other  nutters out there 😊 . Eventually  i   achieved  excellent sound  quality   through perseverance   and trying to understand  why things changed . For example this led me to studying capacitor construction  quite intently .
     Not algebraic  theory mind you   ,    rather , what different construction  and materials   bought to the  table  in a practical  sense .

Anyway ,   kids came along  and  the system was totally  dismantled  sold or stored .

A few years ago i decided  to  rebuild  a  sound  system   based around  the 94   and was confident  i could improve on my original.

The  Marantz cd  94  machines  had all the ingredients  for greatness . Arguably  the best  drive  ever made in the CDM 1   and possibly  the  best  chip  ever made  in the tda1541a  ,excellent  multiple regulated power supplies   with  generally  good parts quality   for a commercial  product.

So what do we do  to improve it if its so good ?     Well the devil is in the details.

Firstly , to achieve  greatness   ,a component is only as good as its weakest link.  There is no single  place to start  really .Its a matter of  identifying and working through every single weak link till they are all eliminated or  improved  .

In the  90s  I did a shootout  with probably  20 different op amps   .The bottom line without boring everyone  about the differences  was that the  AD 827    and  AD 847  were the clear favourites being excellent in all areas  including dynamics  which seemed to be a problem for many op amps being too smooth or bland  . The originals  in the 94 also had good dynamics  but are coarse   or ragged  in comparison.

These are the op amps in my machine today .  Not cheap   but  very capable.   Op amps upgrade probably gave a few percent of the  improvement  in sound quality  so dont expect miracles  from  any  single mod or you will be sadly  disappointed   as with any of the other mods  in isolation  .As I said  it is a wholistic approach   with each  mod being rather small incremental  improvements
       I will detail some more of  the 94  changes in a number of posts as  there is a fair bit to get through  ,so i will end this one  for now .. Cheers Ian .

vitavoxdude:
Well, I for one will look forward to your audio travels IRT the Marantz silver spinner.  Of course having two of them I have an obvious interest on finding the things that worked  ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version