Author Topic: Valve operating points for best sound  (Read 3564 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Valve operating points for best sound
« on: February 11, 2018, 08:12:17 PM »
Open question regarding 6J5's.  Does anyone have a set of recommended operating points for these valves?  I have the data sheet, but nothing beats actual setups.  They are being used as part of a phono amp with ecc88's upfront and 300B's downstream.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Valve operating points for best sound
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:46 AM »
Open question regarding 6J5's.  Does anyone have a set of recommended operating points for these valves?  I have the data sheet, but nothing beats actual setups.  They are being used as part of a phono amp with ecc88's upfront and 300B's downstream.
V
I have some tasty 6J5s here rare brown base. Half of a 6SN7. I find with most tubes there is no real set parameter, usually is just trial and error, and you are right there is a sweet spot. That is why a variable resistor is handy. 

Offline hedalfa2

• Liked: 26
Re: Valve operating points for best sound
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2019, 11:04:15 AM »
I have some tasty 6J5s here rare brown base. Half of a 6SN7. I find with most tubes there is no real set parameter, usually is just trial and error, and you are right there is a sweet spot. That is why a variable resistor is handy.

Yes thats what Paul Baker and I have found, its trial and error. Getting the sweet spot can make quite a difference with some valves.