Author Topic: Anyone tried the Arizona Cactus capacitors?  (Read 3416 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Anyone tried the Arizona Cactus capacitors?
« on: June 03, 2019, 12:55:59 AM »
As the title asks :)

Read a little about them on the net, and am curious if anyone has tried them here? 

They describe the sound of these caps with one word 'Real' apparently.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Anyone tried the Arizona Cactus capacitors?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 06:37:36 PM »
I have never heard of them, but i will read about them right now, always interested in a new capacitor

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 07:08:44 PM »
As the title asks :)

Read a little about them on the net, and am curious if anyone has tried them here? 

They describe the sound of these caps with one word 'Real' apparently.
I would not go for the Mylar dielectric. In the past i have had ordinary results with that material. The Kraft paper dielectric model looks more interesting to me, paper is usually more natural sounding .
« Last Edit: June 11, 2019, 07:11:59 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline data

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 10:58:38 PM »
These are a consideration for output caps for a friends player, I'll head your advise and consider the paper one if it eventuates, the players he has now aren't really worth modding so he's on the eye out for something better.

Thanks, Steve.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:01:31 AM »
These are a consideration for output caps for a friends player, I'll head your advise and consider the paper one if it eventuates, the players he has now aren't really worth modding so he's on the eye out for something better.

Thanks, Steve.
Info from a seller of these caps .

But I have felt the tone of metalized polypropylene capacitors don’t have the natural warmth of human touch, and lacks the true naturalness of the hermetic seal oil-filled capacitor that is made of mainly Kraft paper as the dielectric. I suppose it might come from the fact that the frequency also has a level of characteristic vibration, and with polypropylene it would be higher because of the high Young’s modulus (hardness) and the small value of internal loss. I think the metalized electrode might emphasize the tendency.

Offline data

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2019, 06:05:13 PM »
Yeah, I don't know about Young’s modulus ect'  ??? But have read some interesting things about them over on https://jeffsplace.positive-feedback.com/a-real-sound-adventure-with-the-vintage-mcintosh-mx110z/