Author Topic: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A  (Read 22141 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:21 AM »
Hey, has anyone played with a Raspberry PI transport, into the Killerdac yet?

I stumbled onto this webpage, where someone has successfully done this with their TDA1541A based dac/player.

http://www.haarie.nl/2019/04/23/allo-kali-reclocker-i2s/

It even gives the pinout information, for i2s from the reclocker board into the TDA1541A.

The solution can be used for streaming audio files, into our Killerdacs over a home network.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2019, 11:46:18 AM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline dannydigital

• Liked: 8
Re: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 03:19:04 PM »
This may provide a lower jitter option;

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html

::)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 05:51:03 PM »
Hi Danny, hope you are keeping well?

I didn't see any jitter specs on that link?

The Kali reclocker,,,,

First, it has a very low jitter NDK crystal feed by LDOs in series for ultra quiet power supply. Second, the FPGA will read the incoming stream, will buffer the DATA 0.7s while discarding the incoming clocks. Using the NDKs it will reclock the buffered data OUTSIDE the fpga (since fpgas introduce about 200ps of jitter) and provide a MCLK/BCLK that is direct from crystal, providing a jitter-free (almost) to your DAC.

More importantly, it pairs directly with a Raspberry pi board, to provide the network streaming connectivity.

Offline ozmillsy

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 07:48:17 AM »
I think I know just enough to be dangerous.

So I am going to order the parts, and assemble the i2s streamer device,,, and test it feeding the i2s inputs on my Kdac.

I guess there are many boards out there that can do the job, and the SQ of them can vary.   But specs don't tell us what the sound is like, the only real way to know, is to try them.

I want the convenience of browsing my library of music, and streaming it into my music system.

A solution like this for the KillerDac has been far too long in the making.   I'll put it together, test it,,, then take it up to the local reference system and see how it sounds (compared to his modified spinner).

I'll use this thread, to document the build, and capture the experiences in getting it to work.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 08:44:55 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 08:34:41 AM »
So,,, lets start with my requirements.   The solution I would like for my Killerdac system would ideally include the following functions:

* Mandatory: Network connectivity (both wired and wireless), with the ability to read my music files on my NAS over the home network.    On this, I do not want to have a PC or laptop sitting in my audio system, just to feed files in.   I would like a simple device in my audio system, that receives and plays files (over the network).
* Mandatory: USB input,,,, so I may connect an external HDD to the unit, and read files off it (without additional PC's or laptops in the mix). Very handy when visitors come, with their USB hdd's loaded with music.  :)
* Mandatory: I2S connectivity, for direct connection to the Killerdac.
* Nice to have: Smart phone/tablet remote control.  I would like a solution, that has an app, that lets me browse and search my files, and queue up playback,,, from a tablet or phone, without having to sit on a keyboard to drive it.   I an am IT guy, and I farken hate keyboards, it reminds me of work.   
* Nice to have: Music service streaming integration (integrate Tidal, Spotify, Google Play Music, etc), so that playback of new music is seamless and fed into the music system.
* Nice to have:  Bluetooth input
* Nice to have:  on the fly downsampling and format conversion (take any music file and convert it to 16/44.1).  Not only am I sick of burning CD's, I am also sick of converting files to 16/44.1, its a time waster.   HQplayer seems to be the reference standard for this, so a solution offering HQplayer integration would be nice.

The mandatories are non-negotiable.  They are a must have, otherwise the solution isnt for me.   The 'nice to haves' would be good, but I could live without, they are for convenience more than anything else.

There are many retail streaming devices that offer alot of these features.  But I'll be farked if I can find any that offers suitable I2S outputs.

If you read these requirements, and know of a solution that will do the job, let me know.

The solution I will build/test is this;

Raspberry Pi board, paired with a reclocking i2s output board.   Further details on the next post.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 02:13:47 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 09:14:13 AM »
I will provide links to all the components, so if you are interested you can read the tech specs of each.

Component list:

1. Raspberry PI- Sparky-sbc.
      I have chosen the Sparky built by Allo, as it seems to be a well developed solution with alot of software options that have been tested and are known to work with it. 
       Provides network connectivity, usb inputs,, and configurable to run various software solutions.  Boots from a memory card, and runs headless.   As far as the music system is concerned, its just a dumb appliance.    Tested boot images are available on the Allo site, to run the Sparky.

2. Kali I2S reclocker.  The Kali,  Allo board built to seamlessly plug together with the Sparky. 

3. Acrylic-case-sparky-kali-piano-2-1 , pre-fabricated case to sit them in.   

4. USB wifi dongle

For software,,, I will test Volumio, Moode Audio and the Roon system.   

For Roon, the Sparky becomes a receiver/end point, and all the software smarts are done elsewhere (more on that later). Roon is an expensive solution that I am currently evaluating. Not sure I will license it at this point?
« Last Edit: August 08, 2019, 10:48:38 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 08:39:29 AM »
Hi oz,

I’m looking for exactly same thing as you.  So most interested how you go with the pi route.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 09:00:26 AM »
Hey T, cool.

Will post pics and experiences.   All items have been ordered.

We have the electronics wizards here, to build high quality i2s boards,, and that is where alot of beauty is found or lost for handling digital music.

But I need more than that,,, I need the network connectivity and music library management options aswell.   

I figure if I can make this work,,, then a better i2s board could possibly be integrated with the Pi down the road?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2019, 09:16:12 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Got a shipping notice over the weekend,  so the gear is in transit from China India.

To kill some time on the train this morning, I drew a diagram of the first configuration I will try,,,, the Roon system.

Everything is in place, except the Raspberry Pi I2S box that will connect the KillerDAC into the Roon system.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2019, 10:54:57 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 09:58:10 AM »
The Roon rock controller does alot of smart things.

It is multi room aware, and can stream audio to end points all over the house.   It was developed by the same guys who wrote the Sonus system.

With different end points, it gives the user the ability to configure how those endpoints receive the data.   If it is an endpoint that only does 16bit pcm,,, the rock controller can convert all data to that format on the fly.    I can't comment how good the conversion is yet, until I connect the KillerDac and do some critical listening.  But it can be configured to use HQplayer, if you have that licensed.    I can confirm that DSD conversion works with Roon, without any extra software.   It is currently streaming my DSF files, to Squeezebox endpoints in my home office and bedroom.

The Rock controller also integrates Tidal and Qobuz streaming services. I am doing a free trial on Tidal at the moment,and the integration is really nice

But the Roon solution is expensive .  U$100 odd a year to license it. 
« Last Edit: August 14, 2019, 10:46:13 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 10:35:16 AM »
The second scenario I will test, is a simpler configuration where the Raspberry PI does more work, in that it is not just streaming but also doing the music library management.

See the pic attached.

In this solution,  the Raspberry Pi is booted with the Volumio solution.
The music files will be on a USB drive, directly connected to the Raspberry Pi.  I am doing local files via USB, to remove network latency from the equation.   But I can read files off the home nas aswell if I want.   
Volumio also has plugins for Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz, etc.
It's free.
It isnt multi-room, it is a single system solution. 

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 02:57:39 PM »
This is the Boss DAC, from Allo.

I ordered it a week before ordering the components to make the i2s box.

The Boss is operating as a Roon end point, booting with same dietpi OS and running over wifi.

It is sounding quite nice, for its U$129 price tag.

It's promising,,,, if the i2s version feeding KillerDac sounds better, I will be happy.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »
The items have arrived,,,,, now to find the time in the busy schedule to assemble and test.

Roon has been licensed, I will be using it as my software solution of choice for streaming, whether this i2s unit works or not. 
The boss dac sounds bloody good, for its economical price point. I also have 3 squeezebox devices, that Roon streams to (in place of my Logitec Media Server).  Its a nice multiroom system, that I will be keeping.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2019, 11:41:28 PM »
Hi all, Danny has brought over his device for USB to I2S direct streaming into the Killer Dac. I will let him explain how it works, and i have some pictures

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2019, 11:42:33 PM »
Hi Danny here at Steves,

The unit is an XMOS based device USB to I2S. Using foobar2000 with SACD/DSD component installed for DSD playback possibility. DSP configured to output 16bit/44.1kHz obviously for the TDA1541. (For PCM sources you could do 48kHz too if you want, but best to choose the sampling rate that is evenly divisible into the source sampling rate. eg. 44.1kHz for 88.2kHz, 176.4kHz or 48kHz for 96kHz, 192kHz sources etc...)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:06:13 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2019, 12:26:53 AM »
More pictures for your entertainment. Connected direct to Clock, word, Data, ground. This device sounds amazing, amazing, amazing, i am getting mine battery powered as soon as possible. Is it that good, nooooo its better. Never heard it so good. WoW
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:32:04 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2019, 01:49:27 AM »
We ran 48kHz into the KillerDac, I have never heard it sound do good. Computer audio has arrived. It just annihilated any computer audio system i have ever heard. No actually it annihilated any front end i have heard. I guess it always should have in theory and it finally did.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 01:59:12 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2019, 06:03:06 PM »
Nice work Danny, sounds promising, a usb input on the KillerDac is a long long time overdue.  :)

I hope to do away with the computer being required to select music,.so the raspberry solution is a little different..

But obviously, it's the SQ that matters, and it isn't often Steven gets so excited.  ;D

Can you tell me, if the supplier of this board provides USB drivers for Linux?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 07:17:05 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:16 PM »
Hi all, Danny has brought over his device for USB to I2S direct streaming into the Killer Dac. I will let him explain how it works, and i have some pictures

Yes - I have been using these USB interfaces for years now.

Ironically the one you have appears to be quite an old one and they don't make them like that anymore.
The newer mark3 versiion uses different re-clocking (inside FPGA) and a separate (direct) master clock.
Newer DACs require HQ master clock so it's OK for them. Older DACs like 1541 need HQ bit clock.
So the older version might well suit the 1541 better - not sure. 

I spoke to Lubyen about this but he changed design to accommodate DSDx512 and PCM 768k sample rates.

T