Author Topic: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A  (Read 22142 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2019, 12:19:56 PM »
Nice work Danny, sounds promising, a usb input on the KillerDac is a long long time overdue.  :)

I hope to do away with the computer being required to select music,.so the raspberry solution is a little different..

But obviously, it's the SQ that matters, and it isn't often Steven gets so excited.  ;D

Can you tell me, if the supplier of this board provides USB drivers for Linux?

Yep, all drivers available.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »
Fark me, it works !!  ;D

Pics and info coming shortly.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 11:29:49 PM »
The pic shows the end result,,, the Kali-I2S-reclocker is the little unit on the left,,,, i2s connections out the back to the Killer.

It is sitting on top of the Marantz cd94,  where I was previously using digital rca cables for my i2s connections,,,, i just lifted them off the '94, and plugged them into the Kali.

I am now streaming my digital files over my home network, into the killerdac.    Music selection is from smart phone,  no keyboards or notebooks in sight.

:)
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:30:54 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2019, 11:34:09 PM »
this is a view through the bottom, showing the Sparky (raspberry pi) board, that is handling the network connectivity.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2019, 11:40:19 PM »
this pic shows the Kali board sitting on top of the Sparky.

the Kali is buffering and reclocking the data,,,, it has dual clocks (44.1 and 48 based clocks) as is typical of current reclocking boards.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2019, 11:43:54 PM »
this pic shows how I ran the i2s connections off the Kali 40pin outs,,, to the RCA outputs.
[BCK- pin 12, LRCLK(WS)- pin 35, DATA- pin 40, GRD- pin 39].   

I had some cheapy rca sockets sitting around, that I threw on to test it out, I may change them to something better in due course.  Or bypass them and run wires direct, like SV does.    I still have kids running around, so the rca cables are still more desirable for me (for robustness).
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:09:42 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2019, 11:50:29 PM »
Slightly closer look at the finished product.

It runs off a 5V-3.0A power supply, so should be easy to run off a battery pack, I think.

There were some hoops to jump with the software, it wasnt straight forward.   More info to come.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:24:32 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2019, 12:06:57 AM »
OK, the software.   I mentioned earlier, that I am using roon to stream my own digital files from my nas. 

To make this Kali-I2S unit work, requires a boot memory card that has roon client software loaded on it, that receives the streaming data and passes it to the Kali reclocker.

So I wasnt figuring everything out from scratch, I ordered a boot memory card from Allo, with the Dietpi linux image pre-loaded.
Dietpi is pre-configured with the roon receiver, airplay and some other bits.  All loaded ready to go.

But it didnt work first go.  There were a bunch of sound card drivers, that I had to work through and pick the right one, via trial and error.  It wasnt obvious, because the drivers are named after Dac boards, not the Kali board (the one that worked was the Allo-Piano dac soundcard driver).  Anyway, once I had the right audio driver selected,, then all of a sudden the Roon backend discovered my I2S device on the network.

Next hoop, was in Roon smartphone app,  it had a few different device options for my Kali.   All of the options didnt work, except one.   As long as I have one that works, I am happy (they were named the same, so you just have to try them one at a time).

This Kali board supports up to 192k sampling rates,,, so I had to tell Roon to limit the sampling rate to 16/48k.

And, in playing back a 44.1k file,,, the 44.1 light on the Kali lights up.  It correctly detects the right sample rate and clocks accordingly.  Roon wasnt resampling to 48 (which I had a mild concern about).

So, thats my software tips to get this to work (with Roon).  If you want to attempt it yourself and have questions, feel free to PM me or post here. 

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:30:40 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2019, 12:07:41 AM »
I havent done any critical comparisons yet.   But on first listen, it sounds good.   :)

So, to summarise,,,, what this device/solution is doing is.....

1. Provides home network streaming into my Killerdac using I2S
2. On my smartphone, I browse my library of music files stored on my nas, and search/select/queue the music I want to play on the Killerdac.
3. I have also integrated Tidal into my Roon system, and via the Roon smartphone app, can queue/stream any music from Tidal to the Killerdac.
4. The Raspberry-Kali device is headless, once setup, its an appliance.   No other computers, keyboard or mice required to drive anything in my music system.   Roon has a backend that reads and pushes data out, but again, that is headless.   All I need to play music, is my phone or tablet.

I feel so happy, like a pig in sh!t,,, browsing and playing music.  No more disc swapping.   Oh, I can play my dsd files too,, roon handles the resampling.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:34:41 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2019, 11:35:48 AM »
I will provide links to all the components, so if you are interested you can read the tech specs of each.

Component list:

1. Raspberry PI- Sparky-sbc.
      I have chosen the Sparky built by Allo, as it seems to be a well developed solution with alot of software options that have been tested and are known to work with it. 
       Provides network connectivity, usb inputs,, and configurable to run various software solutions.  Boots from a memory card, and runs headless.   As far as the music system is concerned, its just a dumb appliance.    Tested boot images are available on the Allo site, to run the Sparky.

2. Kali I2S reclocker.  The Kali,  Allo board built to seamlessly plug together with the Sparky. 

3. Acrylic-case-sparky-kali-piano-2-1 , pre-fabricated case to sit them in.   

4. USB wifi dongle

For software,,, I will test Volumio, Moode Audio and the Roon system.   

For Roon, the Sparky becomes a receiver/end point, and all the software smarts are done elsewhere (more on that later). Roon is an expensive solution that I am currently evaluating. Not sure I will license it at this point?
I need to provide an updated parts list, because I needed some other items to complete the build.   Next post.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2019, 12:01:09 PM »
Complete parts list for the Sparky Kali I2S streamer:

1. Sparky-sbc (Raspberry PI motherboard)   U$24
2. Kali I2S reclocker  U$65
3. Acrylic-case U$15
4. USB wifi dongle U$14
5. 5V power supply U$11
6. 16GB Memory Card with Dietpi U$13.50
7. Plug to socket jumper leads A$5.95
8. 2.5mm DC adapter A$2.95

Freight on the items from Allo was U$24.   

Total raw cost in Aussie after all conversions was $267.26

[Note: there are 2 versions of the Kali board, the one I have linked above is the right one to get for use with a TDA1541A.  I'm told the newer Kali isnt suitable]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 05:18:56 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2019, 12:30:32 PM »
I should add, that Roon is totally optional. 

Allo will also supply the memory cards preloaded with Volumio,, they have tested Volumio and the image they supply is configured with the drivers needed for their hardware.

Volumio is open source and free.
It is a single system solution (not multi room like Roon).
It can read files off a home nas, connected usb drive, and can also integrate streaming services like Tital, Spotify, etc.
It can be driven from your smart phone or tablet.

Now that I have licensed Roon, I am committed to that software package.   I am abandoning my plans to test Volumio or anything else.  I have no need for it, and its time to simply enjoy the music.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 12:34:41 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2019, 08:27:53 PM »
spoilt for choice, what to queue next from the tablet?  ;D

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2019, 10:10:23 PM »
Complete parts list for the Sparky Kali I2S streamer:

1. Sparky-sbc (Raspberry PI motherboard)   U$24
2. Kali I2S reclocker  U$65
3. Acrylic-case U$15
4. USB wifi dongle U$14
5. 5V power supply U$11
6. 16GB Memory Card with Dietpi U$13.50
7. Plug to socket jumper leads A$5.95
8. 2.5mm DC adapter A$2.95

Freight on the items from Allo was U$24.   

Total raw cost in Aussie after all conversions was $267.26

[Note: there are 2 versions of the Kali board, the one I have linked above is the right one to get for use with a TDA1541A.  I'm told the newer Kali isnt suitable]
I had a listen to this device at Andrews, it does sound good and all so convenient to use. i want one already

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 04:24:04 PM »
This may provide a lower jitter option;

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html

::)
Well here is the transport killer fresh from Danny Digitals hands and working on one of my secondary systems. As you can see its battery powered. I am afraid its telling me CDs and transports are yesterdays fish and chip wrapping paper. I am using foobar with many add on apps. I can play any file including hard drives and Youtube. Moving house so it will be a little wile before i play it on my big system and a full report on its sound.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:31:00 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
Cool.

Can you drive it from your phone?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2019, 02:11:56 PM »
Cool.

Can you drive it from your phone?
Noooooooooooo. But next on the agenda is one like yours.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2019, 11:26:51 AM »
Noooooooooooo. But next on the agenda is one like yours.

Just implement what you have properly and you will be done.

There are quite a few possible options with 1541 up to full
stereo, 2 chips in simultaneous mode. 

I have just finished upgrading another PDX. 1704 DAC chips running directly off USB bridge, sans
digital filter. Will be testing next day or so. I'll post some pics later. It's a very clean build, max
distance between USB bridge and DAC chips = about 20mm. Both ground planes joined.

Next DAC will be running DSD256 / 512 native directly from USB bridge.

We are spoiled these days with options but knowing what to do / how to configure
the whole deal is the real challenge.

T

Offline dannydigital

• Liked: 8
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2019, 02:15:41 PM »
I Agree, it's getting overwhelming with what's out there & the possibilities are endless!
 :o

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »
Just implement what you have properly and you will be done.

There are quite a few possible options with 1541 up to full
stereo, 2 chips in simultaneous mode. 

I have just finished upgrading another PDX. 1704 DAC chips running directly off USB bridge, sans
digital filter. Will be testing next day or so. I'll post some pics later. It's a very clean build, max
distance between USB bridge and DAC chips = about 20mm. Both ground planes joined.

Next DAC will be running DSD256 / 512 native directly from USB bridge.

We are spoiled these days with options but knowing what to do / how to configure
the whole deal is the real challenge.

T

I can't wait for these developments to happen.

But I am wondering if USB is redundant?

It's ok if you dont mind sitting a laptop computer in your audio system.   

But that isn't ideal, from my perspective.  And driving a keyboard and mouse, to queue music, detracts from my personal enjoyment of the music.

The Pi device I am using, doesn't require USB.

Roon backend queues the music, sends the data over the network to the Pi,,, the Pi receives/buffers/reclocks and sends it directly out the i2s outputs.

I am not suggesting it is technically superior.   But I am suggesting that having to handle a laptop computer in the audio system isn't required.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 10:10:53 AM by ozmillsy »