Author Topic: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A  (Read 22162 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A
« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2019, 10:09:14 AM »
Noooooooooooo. But next on the agenda is one like yours.

We should compare them Steve.

I think Danny's board will sound better.   But I wonder how far behind the Pi is?

I have a spare Roon server and Nas, I can bring them to your place with the Pi, and we'll do some testing.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2019, 01:56:37 PM »
I can't wait for these developments to happen.

But I am wondering if USB is redundant?

It's very frustrating, especially the Pro side of things having gone through 1394 (firewire), thunderbolt, USB etc
We all should be using Ethernet. I could never work out why dig audio over Ethernet took so long, it has huge BW and is reliable.

There are a few Ethernet options out there, it depends how you want to set the system up. The best are pretty expensive.

It's ok if you dont mind sitting a laptop computer in your audio system.   

But that isn't ideal, from my perspective.  And driving a keyboard and mouse, to queue music, detracts from my personal enjoyment of the music.

The Pi device I am using, doesn't require USB.

Roon backend queues the music, sends the data over the network to the Pi,,, the Pi receives/buffers/reclocks and sends it directly out the i2s outputs.

I am not suggesting it is technically superior.   But I am suggesting that having to handle a laptop computer in the audio system isn't required.

The Pi looks good but the only thing I'm not sure about is if it has galvanic isolation. This makes things more complicated
as you have to send clocks -> back over isolators to wher I2S is generated. JLsounds does all of this.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2019, 09:07:29 PM »
This may provide a lower jitter option;

http://jlsounds.com/i2soverusb.html

::)
Hi, Danny
Could I add one of these to my Marantz CD player to add usb input, would it need to connect in simultaneous mode directly to the TDA1541A?

I'm trying to work out how much messing around I'd need to do to add USB input to my CD player and be able to switch between CD playback and USB.

Is it possible with this I2SoverUSB v.III ?

I was thinking it might be easier if it could connect after the SAA7310GP and before the position where the SAA7220P/B used to occupy, but that would be i2s wouldn't it?

Sorry, I'm limited in my understanding of these system BUS's.

Cheers
Ian

Any advise would be appreciated :)

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2019, 10:20:44 AM »
Hi, Danny
Could I add one of these to my Marantz CD player to add usb input, would it need to connect in simultaneous mode directly to the TDA1541A?

I'm trying to work out how much messing around I'd need to do to add USB input to my CD player and be able to switch between CD playback and USB.

I was thinking it might be easier if it could connect after the SAA7310GP and before the position where the SAA7220P/B used to occupy, but that would be i2s wouldn't it?

Cheers
Ian

Play your CD's on your computer or rip them to your computers HDD.

USB from your computer -> DAC using a good USB bridge is superior to CD player. 

TCD

Offline data

« Reply #44 on: November 14, 2019, 03:57:43 PM »
Only problem is I don't have a DAC, only a CD Player that contains a DAC.

I'll just continue spinning CD's with the player ;)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #45 on: November 14, 2019, 05:39:51 PM »
The Pi looks good but the only thing I'm not sure about is if it has galvanic isolation. This makes things more complicated
as you have to send clocks -> back over isolators to wher I2S is generated. JLsounds does all of this.
Yep, sure does. It is a modular design, where little boards can be stacked..

They have a (galvanic) isolator board that can be inserted in between the Pi board and the Kali reclocker.

I haven't tried it yet, but it can be added fairly simply.    I think it would mean adding another power source.   So I would power the Pi off the mains, and reclocker off battery.

It already sounds significantly better than the modded cd94 I was using, without using the isolator on my Pi.

« Last Edit: November 14, 2019, 05:56:35 PM by ozmillsy »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2019, 05:55:44 PM »
There are a few Ethernet options out there, it depends how you want to set the system up. The best are pretty expensive.
I have been impressed enough with Roon, to license it.

In terms of cost, there are 2 aspects.to consider,.  Software licensing and hardware setup.

Roon software is $100 a year subscription.  I find this cost quite reasonable, given what it brings to the table.

Hardware, you need .....
* Endpoints (ie: the Pi device etc)
* Rock server (Can be sourced cheaply, I got mine for $150)
* NAS storage (I already had it, but can be found cheap on gumtree)

I had a few.squeezebox devices, and they have been repurposed as Roon endpoints.   So I can send my music all over the house.     And every smart device in the house, can hook in and queue music, in any given room.    I really love it.

Offline dannydigital

• Liked: 8
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2019, 07:20:28 PM »
Hi, Danny

Cheers
Ian

Hi Ian,
Yes it can be done with switching in I2S between CD and USB inputs. Depends on how much room there is inside the player inorder to implement it well, otherwise it can be external enclosure with a cable interface, not as practical though. The TDA would have to run in its current mode as is in the player (time multiplexed mode).
What model player do you have?

Offline data

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2019, 08:17:15 PM »
Hi, Danny
It's a Marantz CD-60SE, with the variable output board removed and a few modifications done, like the SAA7220P/B has been replaced with a nos reclock module off ebay.
I noticed a CD-40 being sold on ebay with a USB modification (switchable) so got me thinking. He seems to have added the switch between the SAA7310 and SAA7220 chips.

As seen here in a pic off the sale, and I have marked on the schematic of the CD60 here where it looks like he has interrupted the connection. the CD40, CD50 adn CD60 use the same Philips board.

Offline data

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2019, 08:26:41 PM »
This is a pic inside mt CD-60 as it is now.

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #50 on: November 16, 2019, 08:49:02 PM »
KillerDACtoUSB Project coming along; :-X

Switching will be at I2S logic level between SPDIFcoax and USB inputs.

All needs to be wired up now! Let the FUN begin ;D

« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 11:06:56 PM by dannydigital »

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #51 on: November 16, 2019, 08:57:56 PM »
More pics; :-X
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:34:11 PM by dannydigital »

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #52 on: November 16, 2019, 09:18:21 PM »
I made the pics smaller now;
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 09:54:01 PM by dannydigital »

Offline data

« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2019, 04:12:59 AM »
Found the type of basic board that guy selling on ebay used, so I'll just use the same, and work out where to interrupt the signal (add a switch), so I better start reading up on i2s feeding TDA1541A. Not in a hurry, so have plenty of time to nut it out.

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2019, 11:26:42 AM »
Found the type of basic board that guy selling on ebay used, so I'll just use the same, and work out where to interrupt the signal (add a switch), so I better start reading up on i2s feeding TDA1541A. Not in a hurry, so have plenty of time to nut it out.

You can find the I2S bus on the tracks from pins 1, 2, 3 on the TDA1541A. Pin 1 is WS, pin 2 BCK, pin 3 DATA. Best way to switch it is using a logic cct, otherwise keep your leads as short as possible.
Hope this helps.

Offline data

« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2019, 02:54:01 PM »
It all helps, thanks, Danny  8)

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #56 on: November 20, 2019, 12:34:33 AM »
KillerDACtoUSB Preliminary testing of the setup and looking good.

Running I2S into the TDA1541A at 192kHz "(time multiplexed mode)" and sounding great!

So far meeting all expected functionality. I'm about to test an Android app with this. (USB Audio Player PRO)
There might be a way to make this work with the Raspberry Pie too. I'll try and look into it.(I'll have to find my pie..)
« Last Edit: November 20, 2019, 12:45:50 AM by dannydigital »

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2019, 09:15:01 PM »
KillerDACtoUSB Preliminary testing of the setup and looking good.

Running I2S into the TDA1541A at 192kHz "(time multiplexed mode)" and sounding great!

So far meeting all expected functionality. I'm about to test an Android app with this. (USB Audio Player PRO)
There might be a way to make this work with the Raspberry Pie too. I'll try and look into it.(I'll have to find my pie..)

Danny,

WRT 'time multiplexed mode'  (simultaneous mode) I've had my TDA541 DAC ('eneterprise')
running at 384 kHz sample rate without any problems.

Terry

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2019, 10:12:03 PM »
Danny,

WRT 'time multiplexed mode'  (simultaneous mode) I've had my TDA541 DAC ('eneterprise')
running at 384 kHz sample rate without any problems.

Terry

Thanks Terry,

I'm Keen to build a TDA1541 DAC configured in simultaneous mode soon. This one I'm leaving in multiplexed mode as it will have the convenience of switching between spdif and USB inputs at I2S level and I haven't looked into whether the receiver chip can output simultaneous mode to suit the TDA1541.
Do you know if the CS8414 can be configured to o/p this mode?
Also, I'm a bit concerned about how bad the intialising/mode transitional pops are when operating in simultaneous mode as Lyuben recommends to use a muting cct in this mode (with his module). Have you observed any issues in this regard? Are you using muting in your setup?
Cheers,
DK

Offline zenelectro

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2019, 11:12:12 AM »
Thanks Terry,

I'm Keen to build a TDA1541 DAC configured in simultaneous mode soon. This one I'm leaving in multiplexed mode as it will have the convenience of switching between spdif and USB inputs at I2S level and I haven't looked into whether the receiver chip can output simultaneous mode to suit the TDA1541.
Do you know if the CS8414 can be configured to o/p this mode?
Also, I'm a bit concerned about how bad the intialising/mode transitional pops are when operating in simultaneous mode as Lyuben recommends to use a muting cct in this mode (with his module). Have you observed any issues in this regard? Are you using muting in your setup?
Cheers,
DK

Danny,

Mate, I have not used a CS8414  receiver chip for years so not sure, you'll have to check the data sheet. 

WRT clicks and pops, yes, that can be an issue. They are not really that loud, just annoying after a while. :)

I think it's time to move on from TDA1541, there are some good options out there now.

Terry