Author Topic: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A  (Read 1377 times)

Offline dannydigital

• Liked: 7
Re: Raspberry PI transport with I2S output into TDA1541A
« Reply #60 on: November 24, 2019, 10:00:41 PM »
Danny,

Mate, I have not used a CS8414  receiver chip for years so not sure, you'll have to check the data sheet. 

WRT clicks and pops, yes, that can be an issue. They are not really that loud, just annoying after a while. :)

I think it's time to move on from TDA1541, there are some good options out there now.

Terry

Yes, but none of the new DACs come with any genuine crowns on them!  :D :-\ ???

I'll be trying another setup that I've been taking ages to put together, it consists of Lyubens AK4490 DAC stacked on top of the I2SOVERUSB board. I've got it layed out on an aluminium plate with some independent transformers & regulators and a J-FET o/p stage.
I'll post some photos if I get around to it.
D
« Last Edit: November 24, 2019, 10:15:40 PM by dannydigital »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 175
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2019, 01:33:54 AM »
Yes, but none of the new DACs come with any genuine crowns on them!  :D :-\ ???

I'll be trying another setup that I've been taking ages to put together, it consists of Lyubens AK4490 DAC stacked on top of the I2SOVERUSB board. I've got it layed out on an aluminium plate with some independent transformers & regulators and a J-FET o/p stage.
I'll post some photos if I get around to it.
D

Crowns - haha, very expensive ones. :)

WRT AK4490, I'm sure these are pretty good but it has all been done before. Clay is already making very good AKM based DACs

I'm always interested in something truly different and unique.

T

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »

I'm always interested in something truly different and unique.

T

I often wonder if anyone has ever attempted to build a semi-descrete DAC (no DAC chip) simply just using cmos logic, memory and analogue ccts on a large pcb. You could trim any part of the cct for whatever parameter you need at every stage.(Such as linearity)
This would be something different. :)
D

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 175
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2019, 06:51:52 PM »
I often wonder if anyone has ever attempted to build a semi-descrete DAC (no DAC chip) simply just using cmos logic, memory and analogue ccts on a large pcb. You could trim any part of the cct for whatever parameter you need at every stage.(Such as linearity)
This would be something different. :)
D

Lots of people have done it.

What sort of DAC do you want?

There are tons of discrete R2R DAC's, single ended and balanced.
There is one discrete, segmented R2R + unity weighted DAC (like AD1865 etc) being done that I know of.
There are discrete (1 bit) DSD DACs with 16 or 32 unity weighted OP bits arranged as an (averaging) FIR filter
There is another guy I know doing (1 bit) DSD differential current source DAC with various number of unity weighted elements

It's interesting, when you look at all these various approaches, they all have advantages and disadvantages.
To get any of them to work really well requires a very broad knowledge from PCB design to intricate details of logic families, clocking etc etc.

And then there are aa myriad of chips out there that can be used in so many different ways.

That's just the DAC - you have to get all the bits into the DAC without messing up.

So many options. :) :)

T

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #64 on: December 09, 2019, 01:29:18 PM »
KillerDACtoUSB  I2S Logic switching completed and working nicely.

Quad 2-input multiplexer 74HCT157 logic is used to switch I2S modes between COAXIAL/USB inputs. The spare 4th bit in the mux chip is used to indicate the switched state by an LED in the physical selector switch.

The logic chip also serves as a compatibility interface between the USB module, a 3.3V device and the TDA1541A which is a 5V device.
(Ensures reliability between active high & active low states in the transferred data.)

« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:12:46 PM by dannydigital »

Offline dannydigital

« Reply #65 on: December 09, 2019, 01:39:53 PM »
Installed & wired up

Single core copper wire power cables made up from high grade CAT6a data cable. (23AWG)

For the I2S bus, mil-spec OFC silver plated, Teflon insulated cabling is used. (22AWG)

The USBtoI2S module is implemented in completely isolated mode with two independent low noise regulated power supplies for the USB side & re-clocking side which are fed by a potted toroidal transformer from two (2 x 5VA) separate secondary windings. This provides better noise immunity from the computer environment that's fed on the USB side allowing for a cleaner re-clocked I2S bus feeding into the TDA1541A.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 04:12:01 PM by dannydigital »