Author Topic: Anyone using M-Lytic HV in their amp?  (Read 8161 times)

Offline data

• Liked: 24
Anyone using M-Lytic HV in their amp?
« on: September 14, 2011, 03:13:04 PM »
I ordered some of the 200uf + 200uf 500v ones last night and now I see Jensen 500uf 500v caps on the bay :(

Have I made a mistake in not finding the Jensen's first?

Edit:Ah...they have to be better than the used Aerovox caps that are in there ATM.

Though I wouldn't mind hearing of any thoughts on the Mundorf's

« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 06:28:25 PM by data »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Anyone using M-Lytic HV in their amp?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:44 PM »
I ordered some of the 200uf + 200uf 500v ones last night and now I see Jensen 500uf 500v caps on the bay :(

Have I made a mistake in not finding the Jensen's first?

Edit:Ah...they have to be better than the used Aerovox caps that are in there ATM.

Though I wouldn't mind hearing of any thoughts on the Mundorf's

I  wondered about m lytics  for a while, may be one day i will try them in my dac,amp where i have jensens,Jensens are cream of the crop electro cap
Aerovox are very good caps for the money
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline data

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:56 PM »
The Aerovox were out of another valve amp and there age unknown so I thought it best to replace them.

Hmm... looking at it now I wouldn't have been able to meet the cost of Jensen's, only just managed the Mundorf  :D

Heh..see how they go, not a lot of headroom being 500v though, might need to add another pair later and connect them in series.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 11:52:19 PM »
The Aerovox were out of another valve amp and there age unknown so I thought it best to replace them.

Hmm... looking at it now I wouldn't have been able to meet the cost of Jensen's, only just managed the Mundorf  :D

Heh..see how they go, not a lot of headroom being 500v though, might need to add another pair later and connect them in series.
I run 4 x 500uf in my amp does the job keeping 2x 5r4gy 1x 6l6 1x6v6 1x vr150/od3 voltage regulator
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline data

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:21 AM »
Yeah, but your plate voltages are around 350v are they not?

I have plate of around 400v, so I'm not sure if 500v caps provide enough headroom for switch on and off.

Unless I'm mixed up on how things operate?

Meh...I guess they should be OK.

Hmm...I'll see what they sound like after some burn-in and maybe contemplate by-passing them with some oil for flavor  ::)

Offline data

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 05:39:19 PM »
Well the two Mundorf HV caps are in my amp, but I'm too worried about switch on surge to fire up the amp!

They say that 1.4x the secondary voltage is needed in order to cope with the switch on surge, and in my case with a secondary of about 435vdc, that means the switch on surge can be in the order of 609vdc.

That's 609vdc through the Mundorf's that are rated for 500vdc continuous & 550vdc peak!

I'll just need to wait till i can get another pair of caps and hook them up in series, but then that lowers capacity to 200uf from 400uf and adds ripple too  :'( 

I should have gotten higher rated caps in the first place *sighs*

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 05:47:21 PM »
hi data,

what about a diy switch on delay (surge protection) module?  the pass F5 i borrowed recently had 1 installed.    but in saying that, my yaqin had 4x jensens running that are rated at only 500v and if i can recall, the rubycons that they replaced were only rated at 450V ? 

Didn't have any issues with them.

Tuyen

Offline data

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 06:43:20 PM »
Hi mate :)

I thought that the 4 caps in the Yaqin were connected as 2 each in series giving twice that 450vdc rating(900vdc), then the two pairs paralleled, where they not?

I'm finding this all pretty confusing as the way they were connected will make a lot of difference...

Edit:Ah! I couldn't wait for more caps anyway, so fired my amp up with the Mundorf's and straight away I think the sound is better than with the Aerovox caps  ;D

Now for a all night run-in session of vinyl  8)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 11:48:53 PM by data »

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:12:47 PM »
have you modelled it in psud2 to see what the start up peak is?

Offline data

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 08:17:48 PM »
No, I haven't, I guess I should have.

But as seen in my edit above I have her running with the Mundorf's and maybe I'll run like this till i can afford some Tube Caps to replace them with.

I will run things through psud2, cheers mate, i didn't even think of using that app...still wearing "L" plates here.

Edit:Oh PSUD2 hasn't got my rectifier and I don't have full specs on my transformer.
Caps-After about an hour running I have noticed a good improvement in the sound stage, more air with better (more defined) position of instruments and voices, deeper too!

Edit2:
Hmm...looking at amps like the Ming-Da those power caps are in series connected pairs, so the originals were in effect 800v handling power, that's 2x 330uf/400v, the Jensen caps you guys are using are 500uf/500v so now effectively 250uf with 1000v power handling per pair.

I think I'm under rated using just two single Mundorf HV 500v caps that are only rated for surge up to 550v, and taking a risk... so I'll be getting another pair to run in series with the existing two, or replace these two with 200uf/550v (595v surge) Tube caps, even these Tube caps are borderline unsuitable.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 05:46:36 AM by data »