Author Topic: Hiraga amp's  (Read 12365 times)

Angelo

Hiraga amp's
« on: September 16, 2011, 08:17:05 PM »
hi guys

i am thinking of going for multiamplification. I am looking for a  DSP solution, to be more flexible when trying out different crossover configurations,  and transistor amps, which combine well with horns.

There is a original Hiraga  Le Classe A for sale at ebay. Asking price is 689 euros.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Endstufe-LAudiophile-Hiraga-Le-Classe-A-20-Watt-/290607309457?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_77&hash=item43a98ba291#ht_720wt_1396

What do you think, guys, is that a good price, and is it better to buy a original one, or
a diy version ? What i am unsure, is, if the original capacitors and components, which are not available anymore today, where better than the ones found today to make the replicas ?

Stefano wrote :

http://twogoodears.blogspot.com/

Mixed reports says they sounds nice to great... only beware a Class A power amp is a strange beast: Jean Hiraga-san carefully and tirelessly fiddle around this VERY circuit and project for years, and the choice of properly sized and quality caps is paramount... if he used in the 30W 1.456.000 microfarads capacity, there is a reason: my ears tell me every day;-)

The much cheaper 20W "only" sports a 456.000 microfarads capacity and it sounds vastly less dynamic and pronto than its bigger bro.

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Solid/Jean-Hiraga-Class-A-Amplifier/

this version uses :

The capacitor bank was also increased to six 220000 uF capacitors (yes that is 1.2 Farads).

Angelo

tuyen

Re: Hiraga amp's
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 10:56:35 AM »
Hi Angelo,

Would recommend getting the genuine model if you can find them. Then you get the exact sound of how Jean had intended his design to sound like.   Nothing wrong with custom DIY built ones either. Aslong as the design/builder have good technical knowledge and follow proper layout/wiring techniques to avoid grounding issues/hum/noise etc. and most importantly, is safe to operate..

The hiraga le'monstre(8watt) and le'classA(20watt)  are great designs (when done right!).

I will not recommend you the guy who built mine, as he is not a technician but only did it as a hobby.  The units work, but due to poor implementation and layout, incorrect ground wiring, not best power cap choices &  the custom made enclosures being too small,   has resulted in bad ground noise/hum   when hooked upto the 110db+ drivers.  On his 85-89db bookshelf speakers he tested them on, the issue was not as obvious, and he claims there should be no problem.. that is no excuse in my opinion. He has not replied back since me explaining the issue..     

No big deal to me though, the experience has made me realise the importance of some of these technical aspects of component design/layout which I never really appreciated in the past.   Plus I am currently rebuilding one of the amps my own way.  Bit of fun :)

Tuyen

Angelo

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 11:52:23 AM »
hi Tuyen

thanks for your answer. The original Hiraga amps are quit old, 20,30 years or so. And components not easy and ready available, if something breaks,( can happen with shipping etc..... )  or is not original. So i am a littlebit reluctant to give a try because of this....

Offline Erik van Voorst

• Liked: 3
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
Hi guys,

Maybe fun to know Jean Hiraga is gonna pay me a visit.
He saw my stuff on fora and contacted me.
He wanted to come over this month but January suited me better.
The idea is to interview me and place an article.....he does that all over the world.
I am not that keen on being in a magazine but obviuosly he himself is more than welcome.

I am always inspired by his products....great stuff...knowledgeable man

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 01:12:42 PM »
Wow that should be great Erik. Can you post something on it afterwards and tell us about the end result?
Cheers, Andy

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 03:42:30 PM »
Yeah, I'd be interested to read it too.. :)

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 10:14:52 PM »
I am gonna mail him soon, keep you informed.  ;)

Angelo

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 10:48:28 AM »
Got my DIY Hiraga Le Monstre a few days back. It looks gorgeous.

I should hook it up soon, and tell listening impressions..... :)

http://www.audiovoice-acoustics.com/forum/showthread.php?p=5490#post5490

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2012, 07:14:03 AM »
Great  8)

btw Jean is coming the 18th of this month...

Just in time I build yesterday a tuberectifier circuit for the pre amp....even the elcheapo test setup makes far more music than my solid state stuff so he will experience a lot more music  ;D

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2012, 01:25:54 PM »
Great  8)

btw Jean is coming the 18th of this month...

Just in time I build yesterday a tuberectifier circuit for the pre amp....even the elcheapo test setup makes far more music than my solid state stuff so he will experience a lot more music  ;D
What rectifier will it use?
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Erik van Voorst

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »
At the moment I have a 5R4GYB  "at work" ...I will try 5U4 and GZ37 later on...and maybe a 274B
This is going off topic  ;D