Author Topic: Psu caps  (Read 16653 times)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
Re: Psu caps
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 05:59:50 PM »
Hi V , 5ar4 valve rectifier, kept the capacitance the same ie 100uf in series with 2uf.There is also a choke in the psu  not sure what value.
Will take some pics the next time I have the psu upside down :)
So come on then Grodon, 8) we are still waiting for the pictures you mentioned. :'(  Additionaly to what Terry said re cap sizes the big cap will too much if driven direct from the rectifier but it's more than likely on the other downstream side of the choke and smaller 2uF cap is hooked up to the valve as this is the only way the circuit makes sense. :-X  I would also try replacing the 2Uf with a nice Dubullier PIO up to 8uF if space permits as this should bring a tad more colour / body/realness and may obviate some of the wiryness metioned earlier, love that word, got a few scratching their heads here (All IMV).
V ;D
Hi Steve , the long awaited pic of the inside of my upgraded Supratek pre psu :
Listening with my ears :)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
All up what kind of money are these (Supratek pre psu) worth.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 12:07:26 PM »
Hi Steven , A standard finish non remote Chardonnay pre and psu was $2000 back in 2008 when I bought mine , the piano black and Chrome with remote volume was $2500.
Since I got the pre I have changed : all caps in the signal path to Deuland Alexander , all caps in the ht supply to Obligatto film oil psu caps, caps in heater supply to Elna Slimic 2 , output transformers from line fit to Lundahl 1793 ?. I have also replaced the Alps blue pot and input switch to the same system used in the Tram2.
Oh and recently changed some of the resistors to Shinkoh tant 2w.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 05:38:03 PM by ozcal »
Listening with my ears :)