Author Topic: Marantz CD85 transport problems  (Read 3822 times)

Offline Tweedle12

• Liked: 1
Marantz CD85 transport problems
« on: November 11, 2011, 06:49:40 AM »
Well I picked up a highly modified Marantz CD85 that had converted to a transport, with a new clock and separate external power supply as well as a separate TDA1541A-based DAC with an additional 2 external power supplies. All highly customised in the early 1990s by Geoff Bull of Covent Garden Records in London. Anyhow, the transport was faulty before I bought it, with a malfunctioning mechanism and dodgy display and control panel.

By good fortune, and after looking for some time, I have pocked up a perfect CD85 to get this set up going. The problem I have is working out how to remove the rear panel of the player. Do I really have to desolder the mains cable and other connections from the power supply boards? Can anyone with experience of working on one of these help me before I go any further -I'm guessing I am just a bit stupid or lacking in lateral thinking about this one.

Best wishes,
TD

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Marantz CD85 transport problems
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 01:33:44 PM »
Well I picked up a highly modified Marantz CD85 that had converted to a transport, with a new clock and separate external power supply as well as a separate TDA1541A-based DAC with an additional 2 external power supplies. All highly customised in the early 1990s by Geoff Bull of Covent Garden Records in London. Anyhow, the transport was faulty before I bought it, with a malfunctioning mechanism and dodgy display and control panel.

By good fortune, and after looking for some time, I have pocked up a perfect CD85 to get this set up going. The problem I have is working out how to remove the rear panel of the player. Do I really have to desolder the mains cable and other connections from the power supply boards? Can anyone with experience of working on one of these help me before I go any further -I'm guessing I am just a bit stupid or lacking in lateral thinking about this one.

Best wishes,
TD
What country are you in, If Australia i have someone in mind.

Offline Tweedle12

• Liked: 1
Re: Marantz CD85 transport problems
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 04:09:21 AM »
Thanks Steven,
Alas, I'm in Ireland. I'll post a few photos when I get the chance.

Kind regards,
TD