Author Topic: parts for killer dac upgrades  (Read 35846 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
parts for killer dac upgrades
« on: September 05, 2010, 07:59:56 PM »
i thought i will start this thread it will be handy for people wanting an upgrade.
please keep in mind their are so many diffrent caps on the market that nor steve or i tried them all.
so you buy blind just like we do.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/8MFD-8UF-600V-DUBILIER-OIL-FILLED-CAPACITOR-Z112825-1P-/350199584015?pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item518985950f

THIS ONE IS THE BUSINESS I HAVE 3 AT HOME TUYEN USES IT ASWELL.YOU MIGHT NEED 2 IN YOUR DAC DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF THE CHOKES
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 09:51:44 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: parts for killer dac upgrades
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2010, 12:35:04 PM »
Congrats Flemo,   I'm on the lookout too.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
Yes the big problem we now face is competing with each other for vintage parts, and will only get worse as knowledge of the killerdac gains momentum!

tuyen

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2010, 03:03:43 PM »
You beauty. They look good.

perfect specs for the DAC too.  Mine are 8H 125mA.   no hum with them and a 8H dublier cap.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2010, 07:11:28 PM »
Yes the big problem we now face is competing with each other for vintage parts, and will only get worse as knowledge of the killerdac gains momentum!
meh,  there's plenty of vintage stuff in the US to bring over.  Just have to be patient.    I dont mind waiting.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2010, 10:12:35 AM »
I'm interested to know the reasoning behind using Vintage chokes, over a quality new production choke, something like a Lundahl for example. I can see there would be an improvement over the small/cheap chokes I've seen in some of the DAC pics, but against a top quality choke would the vintage chokes still be better?

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »
I'm interested to know the reasoning behind using Vintage chokes, over a quality new production choke, something like a Lundahl for example. I can see there would be an improvement over the small/cheap chokes I've seen in some of the DAC pics, but against a top quality choke would the vintage chokes still be better?
I have multiple theories,

#1 is vintage parts are built to function, while modern parts are built to price (often at a compromise), even top quality ones.
#2 vintage parts are aged, and may be better that way. New parts needs time to realise it's full potential while vintage parts gives instant gratification (great for impatient folks).
#3 Materials used in vintage may not be available to use now due to RoHS, or other standards.

Prob none of the above, but just theories.. :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2010, 08:32:51 PM »

treblid got the answer spot on,i have never tried lundahl chokes but i know someone that has tried the output transformers on a set.and sold them back on ebay and went back to vintage.i use what i know works for me on my system
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:57:53 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

tuyen

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 08:37:26 AM »
I agree with treblid on this one.

Some vintage high-end parts seem to be made with no compromises at all.  Maybe that's why they sound better compared to current 'high-end' components that most often do have compromises? 

Not all parts though.  For example, capacitors I still haven't heard of a vintage cap that is as good as current Duelund Coherent audio caps.   But things like chokes, transformers, tubes and even some speaker drivers I think generally fall in the first category.

I guess it's a very generalised opinion and wouldn't be much help as things like chokes and which sound best is very system dependant. 

I'm using vintage Chicargo chokes (and vintage UTC ones too at one stage) which replaced some standard current stock chokes and the improvement in sonics was noticable straight away.

tuyen

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:48:40 AM »
I don't see the point getting custom value chokes made when there are standard value units that work perfectly on the DAC already??  Unless the custom ones are cheaper of course :)

Not sure where the raw materials of my UTC (United Transformer Company) and Chicargo chokes are sourced from though.  I can't imagine them using any worse(less pure) materials then components made now days?

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

tuyen

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 08:25:00 PM »
Yes! those UTC-40 chokes work very well in the KillerDAC.  I had a pair in there before I took them out to put into my amp.

Using them means you can get away with using only 1 dubilier and not have any hum.

Highly recommended!

Offline kajak12

crazikid

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2010, 08:36:33 PM »
william...you know you want them...bin!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2010, 08:38:34 PM »
william...you know you want them...bin!
or i will for my next killer

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 08:47:25 PM »
Money is a bit tight now Mario  :'(

But I'm happy if anyone here got it.

crazikid

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 09:25:23 PM »
maybe i'll buy one for your bday :P

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2010, 09:45:03 PM »
Lol... I want your Axiom 80!

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:42 PM »
Lol... I want your Axiom 80!
its my birthday everyday for axiom 80.
 :D