Author Topic: DIY Power Cable  (Read 40423 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
DIY Power Cable
« on: September 07, 2010, 10:05:39 PM »
Following the success of my first attempt at a DIY power cable (Click), I decided I wanted to make one with some better connectors.

The bits I've chosen for this cable are:
* Clipsal Power Plug 1439SHD - $6 from my local L&H
* Chinese IEC plug with red copper connectors - $15 from Ebay (Click)
* Double insulated wire from Bunnings - $0.90c/m  (Click)
* WBT solder (only used on power plug end)
* Aluminium foil
* Glitzy mesh - $3
* Ferrite ring - Jaycar, cant remember how much, came in a pack of 4.

The power cable is about 1.5m long.

Assembly pics....
Braiding - not that tight.
Shielding - connected to ground on the power plug

As stated, I could only solder the power plug end.   The IEC plug couldnt be opened up to do any soldering, I had to feed the cable into holes and screw it tight.   I dont like that, I prefer to solder.  Probably doesnt make a difference  ??? , it just makes me feel good to solder it.    :P    

The double insulated wire was thick, and it was a challenge to get the power plug cover over the braiding, but with abit of patience it went on.  The foil was another headache, I needed to use teflon tape,  at the power plug end, in order to get the cover on without tearing the foil.

And the finished product......

« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 10:09:43 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: DIY Power Cable
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 10:26:10 PM »
wow thats the business,no think how many other wires you can try.also try it on your subs
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 11:01:27 PM »
wow thats the business,no think how many other wires you can try.also try it on your subs
Yeah,  looks nice huh.  That mesh gives it a good look I reckon.  

The subs,  yeah thats the reason I made this one.  I have my 2 x DIY white power cables now driving the subs,  and the new glitzy powering the killerdac.

Fark me, the bass sounds cleaner.   You were right mate.

I'll be doing some more, but I'll be using some Clipsal IEC plugs (Click),   I dont like these chinese jobs.   I want to solder 'em.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 07:08:55 AM by ozmillsy »

Offline Upfront

• Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 11:32:49 PM »
I have a pair of Diy power cable that are doing nothing while my amps are off getting fixed AGAIN if you want to try them?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2010, 11:46:38 PM »
Yeah,  looks nice huh.  That mesh gives it a good look I reckon. 

The subs,  yeah thats the reason I made this one.  I have my 2 x original white power cables now driving the subs,  and the new glitzy powering the killerdac.

Fark me, the bass sounds cleaner.   You were right mate.

I'll be doing some more, but I'll be using some Clipsal IEC plugs (Click),   I dont like these chinese jobs.   I want to solder 'em.

your addicted to soldering fumes ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 06:56:12 AM »
I have a pair of Diy power cable that are doing nothing while my amps are off getting fixed AGAIN if you want to try them?

Sorry for the mix up,  my white ones are diy cables. I'll be right, but thanks for the offer.  

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 06:56:45 AM »
your addicted to soldering fumes ;)

Yes, I am.   8)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:13:35 PM »
Spent the last few days making up new power cables for everything.
Like you Oz I used the jaycar IEC's , quite like these , easy to work with and good clamping pressure on the pins.
Used 15amp mains cable , stranded at this stage and ordinary mains plugs.
All terminations screwed and soldered in place.
Another nice improvement.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:26:18 PM »
another cable for people to try i have used this cable and my friends still use it.remeber what works on my system doesnt mean it will work on yours.its a combination of parts that will create synergy.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-574
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 05:28:09 PM by kajak12 »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
Spent the last few days making up new power cables for everything.
Like you Oz I used the jaycar IEC's , quite like these , easy to work with and good clamping pressure on the pins.
Used 15amp mains cable , stranded at this stage and ordinary mains plugs.
All terminations screwed and soldered in place.
Another nice improvement.
this is only the begining oscal so many cables to try

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 09:36:01 PM »

Yep, I'm happy with the Jaycar IEC's,  but I've ordered some Clipsal 465CTR iec's,  will post my opinion of them when they arrive.  

The 1mm solid core copper wire from Bunnings is working well for me for power cables, it makes a noticable change.   Worth a try, to see what it does for you on your system.  I'm currently using it with the Dac and subs.

tuyen

« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:06:38 AM »
DIY power cord looks a beauty ozmilly. Surely an overall improvement over standard computer cable.    Yet Earle and ZB still firmly believe it is my equipment that is poorly designed  if I can hear differences in power cables. :)

Offline Upfront

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 11:37:53 AM »
I was skeptical. But we tried 3 different power cables into a cheap power supply powering a belcanto cd. My untrained ears could easily hear the difference. I wouldn't pay the $3500 of the last one we tried but it as still a fantastic exercise. Well worth doing. As for the only working in poorly designed gear I don't know. Would love to try the same thing in one of earles time machines.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
I was skeptical. But we tried 3 different power cables into a cheap power supply powering a belcanto cd. My untrained ears could easily hear the difference. I wouldn't pay the $3500 of the last one we tried but it as still a fantastic exercise. Well worth doing. As for the only working in poorly designed gear I don't know. Would love to try the same thing in one of earles time machines.
i have tried a power cable in earls topaz amp and it also makes a diffrence.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 11:50:35 AM »
I've made 2 more today,  for my SGR amps (active speaker plateamps).    

Placebo effect could be in play,  but the music is giving me chills after installing them......   ;D   8)

Offline Upfront

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2010, 11:56:13 AM »
Nothing wrong with the placebo effect! As long as it gets you listening to more music!

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2010, 11:59:40 AM »
yeah, the interesting thing about the placebo effect (belief affecting perceptions),  is it can cut both ways.

if you dont believe that changing power cables can possibly make a difference,  then there is a good chance you'll never hear a difference.

I can understand technicians that dismiss it.  [shrugs]

Offline Upfront

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2010, 12:08:00 PM »
The difference I heard was deffinate. I just want to know how it was built now so I can make a $50 version rather than 3500! Very visually impressive power cable. Thick enough to beat whales to death. 

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2010, 12:12:21 PM »
another cable for people to try i have used this cable and my friends still use it.remeber what works on my system doesnt mean it will work on yours.its a combination of parts that will create synergy.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=100-574

Thanks for the link Mario.

I am starting to think about the power side of my rig (still need to get a dedicated line put in).

The referenced cable could be a good starting point for me to have some cables made.  Do you recall what diameter this stuff is.  I cant find any reference.  Trying to figure out if the clipsal plugs (Clipsal 465CTR & 1439SHD will fit).

Is there anybody else in Perth interested in this cable?  Parts Express have a minimum order value of $50US to ship internationally (Have not figured out how much freight is yet). 2 x 25ft is about $52.  I can use 1 x 25ft (about 8m) but need someone who wants a second reel, or something else from there worth more the $25us.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2010, 12:28:19 PM »
murray you will be able to use clipsal plugs with that cable easily.(letting too many secrets out now)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 12:31:22 PM by kajak12 »