Author Topic: Bricasti M1  (Read 5276 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Bricasti M1
« on: February 09, 2012, 01:33:31 PM »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: Bricasti M1
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
 ;D Hmmmm Mr. T, well the write up was fairly good.  I liked the bit about the difference between design goals / performace / sound quality.
Not too sure about the gubbins inside, switch mode supply, torroidal transformers, surface mount ceramic caps and resistors, all looks built down to a price other than the box it's in.  In fact it looks like a typical engineers soloution with the accountant sat on his every move.  At under 8K I guess there has to be compromises but.................................... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2012, 03:38:30 PM »
Grrrrr. the lessloss high res music linked from that article seems to be  all dead... :|

Edit: Wow.. lessloss is good.. Send them a email just now, and responded 2 minutes later.. Hopefully they can fix the broken links.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:50:02 PM by treblid »

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 09:50:54 PM »
;D Hmmmm Mr. T, well the write up was fairly good.  I liked the bit about the difference between design goals / performace / sound quality.
Not too sure about the gubbins inside, switch mode supply, torroidal transformers, surface mount ceramic caps and resistors,

May / may not be ceramics. There are a lot of film caps that are getting down to ceramic form factors these days.

all looks built down to a price other than the box it's in.  In fact it looks like a typical engineers soloution with the accountant sat on his every move.  At under 8K I guess there has to be compromises but.................................... :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X :-X
V

I think from -their- perspective they didn't build to a price. Thats just the way they do stuff. 

I'm not sure you are aware but Bricasti's expertise is actually studiio spatial effects, Reverb etc Their M7 http://www.bricasti.com/m7.html is currently probably the best
stereo reverb processor available. Studios used to have stuff like Lexicon (480) etc which was huge money, later Sony did some really top end processors now it's
Bricasti.

I heard an M7 a few months back at a Studio and it was pretty impressive. Digital reverb is hard to do well.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 11:36:57 PM »
Fair enough but my beady eye spots 6 opamps per channel and four volatge regs, hardly bleading edge design resorting to opamps and most know that weedy switch mode power supplies are not always the best for audio.  This is obviously my prejudiced and some what jaded view of the new kid's on the block and their accountants.  Studio stuff is usually full of 50 cent opamps.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 12:27:28 AM »
Fair enough but my beady eye spots 6 opamps per channel

opamps make sound not music imho
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time