Author Topic: Neotech Wire  (Read 25376 times)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
Re: Neotech Wire
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 06:04:02 AM »
Compared the D2's to Steves Yamamura last night.    Not in the same league I am afraid.    :-\
That makes the pain of losing out the Yamamura on eBay even worse  :(
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:31 AM »
That makes the pain of losing out the Yamamura on eBay even worse  :(
The recent set on ebay were 6000's and Stevens are 5000's,  and whose to say they sound the same, better, or worse?   

But yes, I'm really disappointed to have missed them.  :(
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 04:14:52 PM »
The recent set on ebay were 6000's and Stevens are 5000's,  and whose to say they sound the same, better, or worse?   

But yes, I'm really disappointed to have missed them.  :(
The word is that the 5000 sounds better than the 6000. But I will only believe that if I hear it.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2014, 09:17:10 PM »
The word is that the 5000 sounds better than the 6000. But I will only believe that if I hear it.

I wonder what's inside the Yamamura - do you know Steven?

Z

Offline brenden

• Liked: 78
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2014, 08:26:20 PM »
I have a Yamamura power cord .Sounds as good as anything I have tried .Not sure what's in them ,but I might open it up one day to find out .

Also tried  one of the interconnects many years ago and was really impressed .Should have bought them but they were expensive at the time .

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2014, 10:32:08 PM »
I wonder what's inside the Yamamura - do you know Steven?

Z
The yamamura 5000 interconnects I own have a wooden fibre material outer jacket, with about 10 large gauge multistrand wires. It does not look like straight copper wire, but a mixture or blend of metals, but mainly copper. The plugs are unknown to me, they look to be rhodium plated.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 10:36:05 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline guru

• Liked: 21
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2014, 06:25:32 PM »
The Yamamura cables are a copper only with a very straight forward construction. There were 2 variations of the cable used internally as far as I now from talking to Be. The copper was the same but the insulation material was quite different between the 2. I once had quite a lot of the raw cable but used most of in making power supplies and internal wiring in some special personal pre's and power amps. Very nice sounding cable.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2014, 10:24:08 PM »
The Yamamura cables are a copper only with a very straight forward construction. There were 2 variations of the cable used internally as far as I now from talking to Be. The copper was the same but the insulation material was quite different between the 2. I once had quite a lot of the raw cable but used most of in making power supplies and internal wiring in some special personal pre's and power amps. Very nice sounding cable.
Interesting, the copper inside mine, and the few remaining pieces I have, just looked a bit (colour wise) unlike straight copper. If it is only copper, why the colour. Also it does not really sound like straight copper. Any ideas why.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2014, 10:45:42 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline braddo

• Liked: 2
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2014, 11:26:00 AM »
For what it's worth I have been using Neotech multi strand Litz as a headphone cable. Picked the assembled braided cable up for much cheaper than I could build one for. I snipped off the jack at the end and soldered on two Eichmann plugs, which I had laying around spare, to connect straight to preamp outs.

This is the biggest difference in cable change that I have ever heard. The stock cable was Mogami. I was expecting a small change but it was not small. I can't believe it's just the cable i'm thinking the connector change is a factor here too. VERY nice upgrade for very little money......

Offline brenden

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2014, 12:19:03 PM »
Hi Steven ,Be Yamamura used to use special coatings on lots of things including wires .I think it was some sort of resin for resonance control ,probably something  like C37 lacquer .

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2014, 12:51:20 PM »

I am starting to think about transferring my pcb kit based pre-amp from its temporary case to a decent case.

I am currently using cat5 cable from: i) input rca's to volume pot; ii) volume pot to pcb ins; and iii) pcb outs to rca outs.

As a part of the transfer to a new case, I am looking at replacing the cat5 with neotech wire.

Based on earlier posts, it would seem 24awg is the way to go.  Is this still the best size (out of 24 and 20 awg).

Also, based on recommendations from the pre-amp board supplier, my cat 5 wires are tightly twisted (cable twisted using a drill and vice).  Should this practice also be used with the neotech wire?

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2014, 03:06:26 PM »
Stripped solid core cat5 is a very good wire, often I have used it as a starting point thinking i will find better down the track, but after trying many cables, guess what sometimes the cat5 won out. As for twisting, its always trial and error. As you guys know what seems to work in someone else's setup, may not in your system. I have found the diameter of cat 5 solid core to be about right in most internal applications.   
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 03:09:10 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2014, 02:39:56 PM »
Thanks Steven, your thoughts are appreciated.

There are times I wish that there were only absolutes in this hobby, though it would not be anywhere as challenging/interesting!

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2014, 09:06:38 PM »
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/301216752117

This wire looks interesting?

Any experience?

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2014, 10:16:40 PM »
No experience, but am tempted to make a power cable out of it.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

• http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2014, 07:49:36 PM »

Any experience?
I think you should buy some
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Gee Emm

• Liked: 1
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2014, 02:02:29 PM »

I continually find it effing annoying where sellers on ebay provide ambiguous info.  >:(

The heading suggests 17AWG, which would be 1.13mm in diameter, but is ~1.0 mm2 cable eg 10A.
The rest of the page refers to 18AWG which is 1.0mm in diameter, ~0.8 mm2 cable eg 7.5A.

It would be illegal to make a power lead out of this wire if you were to put a 10A socket on the end of it, as it needs to be equal to or greater than 1.0mm2 for a 10A cable.

Nominating diameter of single cores is not a normal practice any where that I know of.
I speculate when they refer to "1mm" they are hoping you think it means 1.0 mm2, when it reality it is 1.0 mm in diameter. 17AWG in the header provided accidentally on purpose.  >:(

G
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 02:04:01 PM by Gee Emm »