Author Topic: Lampizator mods  (Read 12271 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Lampizator mods
« on: September 09, 2010, 07:41:31 AM »
Has anyone on the forum successfully applied the Lampizator (tube output stage) mods to a CDP ?

I'd like to give that a go,  but I think I need advise and guidance from anyone who has done it before.   

The Lampizator instructions are not completely clear,  for those of us who are not experienced with electronics and circuit diagrams.  eg: each Lampizator mod he's done on his website he tends to tweak and do things differently,  the generic instructions dont necessarily apply to all?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline davewantsmoore

• Liked: 0
Re: Lampizator mods
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 02:24:59 PM »
I second this request.  (and Hello guys, nice new site) .... I've been reading for months, and understand a good lot of what I read (university physics) ... although I've got little experience with a soldering iron.

I figure something along the lines of a "lampizator" style tube output stage... and/or a DAC kit, is something I'd like to try .... However I'm a bit lost as to how to get started.

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 03:25:14 PM »
Has anyone on the forum successfully applied the Lampizator (tube output stage) mods to a CDP ?

I'd like to give that a go,  but I think I need advise and guidance from anyone who has done it before.   

The Lampizator instructions are not completely clear,  for those of us who are not experienced with electronics and circuit diagrams.  eg: each Lampizator mod he's done on his website he tends to tweak and do things differently,  the generic instructions dont necessarily apply to all?

DQ828 on SNA did some dac mod's as per the Lampizator, nor sure if you guys saw it so here's the link: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/26548-Dac-Mod-Started?highlight=DQ828

Cheers, flemo.

tuyen

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 11:04:48 PM »
I have a Marantz CD75 MKII SE which I will lampize eventually when I have some spare time to see how good the lampizator mod is compared to the killerDAC.

Will document the modifications in full with photos when I get around to it!

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2010, 10:39:52 PM »
http://www.lampizator.eu/szop/L-Szop/Garage_Sale.html

45 triodes on the output that is interesting i must say
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2010, 12:42:42 AM »
he does use very ordinary parts the chokes are a joke and the electrolitics need replacing not much would be left if i got my hands on it.
silver wire in teflon  dont swear lampizator
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
I've done abit of reading through his old site, he's an interesting character.   It's clear that he's believes that there is more to be gained through simple design, and doesnt believe in exotic/expensive parts.    Everyone has there own views, and are entitled to them.

I'd love to hear 1 of his dac's,   or even 1 of the players he's modified.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2010, 08:06:57 PM »
I've done abit of reading through his old site, he's an interesting character.   It's clear that he's believes that there is more to be gained through simple design, and doesnt believe in exotic/expensive parts.    Everyone has there own views, and are entitled to them.

Many exotic/expensive parts are ordinary, but not all. Its the combination's that give you greatness

Offline kajak12

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2010, 08:49:28 PM »

Many exotic/expensive parts are ordinary, but not all. Its the combination's that give you greatness
steve he uses 32 bit chips that is a problem

Offline yoshio

« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2010, 09:21:55 PM »
Uhm but whats technically wrong about 32bit DAC?

Offline kajak12

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 09:24:20 PM »
Uhm but whats technically wrong about 32bit DAC?
we feed the 16bit  cd's so where are the 16 extra bits coming from?
sabre chips that is what he uses

Offline yoshio

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
Music format is not only limited to CD, lots high quality recording recorded in hi res format. 24/32 bit are available for downloads, and I mean not simple upsampled music, but real hi res recording

Offline yoshio

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2010, 09:30:10 PM »
There are other 32 bits DAC too, not only SABRE

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2010, 09:31:59 PM »
I must admit, there is some pretty good 24bit material around.   I've got a fair bit on dvd-a and hi-res flac downloads.   It's handy to have a dac that can play it back properly,  but,,,,, does it sound as good as the old tda1541a ?  

Dunno, a part of me suspects that we havent heard the best out of these newer dac chips......

Offline yoshio

« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2010, 09:34:14 PM »
Hi ozmillsy,

Yes I agree, hearing is believing, and hear it with an open mind, thats what I usually do anyway.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2010, 09:45:02 PM »
Hi ozmillsy,

Yes I agree, hearing is believing, and hear it with an open mind, thats what I usually do anyway.

i have yet to hear it lost confidence in new chips long time ago.
does he use upsampling?

Offline yoshio

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2010, 09:48:02 PM »
I am not sure about that, but I know there is no upsampling chip.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 10:27:06 PM »
i enjoy lampizators journey he is a great inspiration to people like us some of his ideas just dont work for me anyway.i dont agree with him on certain matters that i found to be beneficial yet he claims `they are not.

he is going commercial and most great people loose their way when it becomes a business passion turns into $$$$$ imho

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 11:02:39 PM »
i enjoy lampizators journey he is a great inspiration to people like us some of his ideas just dont work for me anyway.i dont agree with him on certain matters that i found to be beneficial yet he claims `they are not.

he is going commercial and most great people loose their way when it becomes a business passion turns into $$$$$ imho

I think Lampizator could well be very very good, but obviously we will not know till one lands here.

He has covered more ground WRT evaluating different DACs, filters, receiver chips and circuit topologies than just about anyone I know.

This requires very disciplined approach otherwise you just get lost. He came from GM level in corporate world - so I am assuming he does
indeed have the ability to get results from such a complex task.

- The final DAC does not use Sabre32 - although I believe he did like it a lot. I believe it may not even be an audio DAC chip.

- WRT 16 bits into 32 bit DAC, there are no problems, the lower bits are just noise.

cheers

Terry

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 11:21:49 PM »

I think Lampizator could well be very very good, but obviously we will not know till one lands here.

He has covered more ground WRT evaluating different DACs, filters, receiver chips and circuit topologies than just about anyone I know.

This requires very disciplined approach otherwise you just get lost. He came from GM level in corporate world - so I am assuming he does
indeed have the ability to get results from such a complex task.

- The final DAC does not use Sabre32 - although I believe he did like it a lot. I believe it may not even be an audio DAC chip.

- WRT 16 bits into 32 bit DAC, there are no problems, the lower bits are just noise.

cheers

Terry

buy one terry so we can have a listen   i know he is smart when it comes to circuits just some of his ideas like stock standard rca plugs will do i dont agree with.gold plated brass is a no no for signal connection imho