Author Topic: DAC Project- build or modify or ?  (Read 22703 times)

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
Re: DAC Project- build or modify or ?
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2012, 07:48:20 PM »
when we press play its the only thing that counts the rest is bs.

Then why did you want to know what the output stage might be? I'm beginning to think this group is nothing but bs pushers who have memorized the latest buzzwords, like async USB, and reclcoking, but don't have a clue as what it means or how it works. I won't waste any more of your time or mine.

Tam,

Please state your case respectfully and explain clearly. If you feel that re clocking is not a good idea then
you should explain why. I will most certainly understand what you are talking about and am interested in your POV,
even if it is controversial.

Controversial opinions and approaches are often the fruits of progress.

I think you will find most of the people here are extremely open minded and actually embrace solutions that
are not necessarily the status quo.

cheers

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Regardless of the starting voltage, a single-ended clock, like the I2S clock, will degrade over distance. A good clock requires fast transitions because slow transitions lead to uncertainty in determining exactly when the clock changes logical polarity and that creates jitter. Not only is the I2S clock single-ended, it is not pre-conditioned and is rarely transmitted with a proper driver. Usually it’s just the output if a simple logic gate. That’s why my preference is to slave the digital source to the DAC clocks and not the other way around.

WRT slaving source off the DAC clock - yes this is a good solution.

In fact the DAC that Steven used before the series of 'Killer DAC's' was configured this way.

The master clock was inside DAC box, it was sent back to the transport with a dedicated BNC connected line.

So jitter was very low. However there are other issues and added complexity.

I think I2S is a good solution, most of the people here who are using it, have very short connection distances.
To put it in perspective, I think a badly implemented I2S, even with sub optimal driver is better than a receiver
chip and it's inferior PLL generated clock. And that would mirror the results most people have had when implementing I2S. 

Also it is not that difficult, especially with some logic types today to do I2S extremely well.   

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2012, 08:01:10 PM »
Go easy Oz, this bloke has a product coming up so will not be too keen on giving the game away.

I was going easy.   8) 
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.