Author Topic: New production rectifiers  (Read 7682 times)

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
New production rectifiers
« on: February 26, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Always seem to be looking for advice (prolly coz I don't know much  :( )
Current rectifier is 5Z4P, I believe a 5AR4 will work in this amp, not looking for "best" here as they all seem rather well out of my budget.
Interested if there is any particular recommendation or stay away, for the current production and relatively inexpensive ones, such as Sovtek, JJ or Shu Guang.
Equally any other recommendation <$50 would be welcome.
thanks for any ideas.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: New production rectifiers
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:11:20 PM »
Always seem to be looking for advice (prolly coz I don't know much  :( )
Current rectifier is 5Z4P, I believe a 5AR4 will work in this amp, not looking for "best" here as they all seem rather well out of my budget.
Interested if there is any particular recommendation or stay away, for the current production and relatively inexpensive ones, such as Sovtek, JJ or Shu Guang.
thanks for any ideas.
A nice cheap 5AR4 tube is the vintge RCA -1950s 1960s Black plate. A good rich full bodied sound. Only worth abour $35 to $50. If i find one in my stash, i will let you Know.

Offline audiophool

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 01:32:10 PM »
Steven,
thank you, that is much appreciated, as also is your recommendation.
TG

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 07:23:23 PM »
Always seem to be looking for advice (prolly coz I don't know much  :( )
thanks for any ideas.

5Z4P is equivalent of GZ30 (also 5Z4S).

The main thing is check your HT DC voltage before you sub the rectifier and after.

I subbed a vintage 5Y3 into an amp recently and the HT dropped almost 40V as a result - yep the amp sounded softer and dropped a bunch of power too!

Thatch

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 06:50:27 AM »
Since I don't know what you are using this rectifier in it is hard to recommend something. I went to a rectifier rolling session once and the best was a Mullard 5AR4, but the next best was an old RCA 5V4G. The 5V4G won't take the voltage and amps a 5AR4 will so you can't just pop one in untill you check your specs.
I think that part of the sound differences we heard was the amount of voltage drop, but the good ones went far beyond that. Sound stage, dynamics, bass, the sound of brushes on symbols, vocals, you name it were all changed by every tube and I think we tried close to 50. It gets a bit tiring listening to the same thing that many times but the only thing changed was the rectifier in the amp which was a flea watt at around 3 watts per channel, but the speakers were around 105 db SPL and 3 watts can hurt you with that. It was one of the best tube rolling sessions I have set in on and is a tube often overlooked by many guys with great systems.
All the rectifiers used were vintage and most were US made, the others all came out of Western European factories like Amperex or Mullard. The 5V4G was a great tube and they sell for low $$, at least in the US. I like the WWII JAN RCAs myself.
I have heard amps with the new globe rectifiers from China, but without rolling you can't tell how much the sound was influenced by them, though the owners swore by them.
This is my first post and I haven't really begun to go through the site. Is there a scale of lethality of the DACs and if so can you aim them? Not that I would.Yet.

Thatch

Offline audiophool

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 06:02:55 PM »
Thanks for that Thatch, I now have a 5V4G to try along with a couple of 5AR4 on loan, one a Sovtek which looks like a Mullard copy and one a Matsush!ta.
Your other remarks are noted, welcomed and filed.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:52:42 PM »
I found a 5R4GY Brimar for you. i have 5AS4, GZ32 and GZ34s Holland and England.  GEC U52 genalex gold lion U52s. U18-20s- U12s, I have many 280s type globes. Do you what me to send you the brimar 5AR4.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:29:11 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline audiophool

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 12:42:34 AM »
If it fits my budget that would be good thanks Steven.
Would you email or PM me the details please.
Thank you

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 07:20:54 PM »
Thank you

Sent them today, about 8 rectifiers enjoy.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 08:56:35 PM »
Thank you

Sent them today, about 8 rectifiers enjoy.
Thanks..............
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline audiophool

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 09:58:40 PM »
8 ? !!!!!!! - landsakes Mr Valve Sir, that will have me listening my ears off 'til the middle of the year.
Thank you indeed, will keep an eye out for the Post.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2012, 11:27:11 PM »
8 ? !!!!!!! - landsakes Mr Valve Sir, that will have me listening my ears off 'til the middle of the year.

javascript:void(0);
Don't listen  measure them :P :P :P :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline audiophool

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2012, 12:21:14 AM »
You're just obsessed with measurements Kojak - maybe I should get Deborah Harry and Goldie Hawn in and give them a double blonde test too  :o
Anyway what would be best, short and wide or longer and not so thick ?

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »

You're lucky he sent you eight! I had a hard time getting one off him.

The sonic difference between recitifiers are quite pronounced in my system and I was comparing two brown base U52, physically they were the same and had the same D getter, the only difference between the two was the code on the glass. It took me about a week to decide which one I could live with in the long term.

Eight rectifiers of the same type? You will have fun comparing those for a while  ;D

Steve, send me eight U52 please...  :P
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.