Author Topic: Battery powered clocks  (Read 12853 times)

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
Battery powered clocks
« on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
A quick question regarding power draw from (car) battery powered clocks.

My battery has gone flat a couple of times in quick succession.

I am trying to figure out it the battery is on the way out, or if something else is going on.

So to the question, if the battery is left connected and the CDP (Marantz  CD85) is turned off, will there normally be a draw on the battery?

Thanks

Murray

tuyen

Re: Battery powered clocks
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 11:00:55 PM »
Hi Murray, yep there will still be draw as the clock circuit is separate to the rest of the cdp, thus still closed and active (ie. drawing current from the battery).

PS. I have a Optima Yellow top deep cycle sealed battery  that I'll sell for $100 if you are interested :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 11:30:49 PM »
Sold if the other guy does not want it!
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline mcb

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 11:48:52 PM »
Hi Murray, yep there will still be draw as the clock circuit is separate to the rest of the cdp, thus still closed and active (ie. drawing current from the battery).

PS. I have a Optima Yellow top deep cycle sealed battery  that I'll sell for $100 if you are interested :)

Thanks for your response T.

I will do some quick research on deep cycle batteries (I have heard of them but don't know anything about them) and get back to you.  Do you charge them with a normal charger, or do you need a specific charger.

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2012, 12:12:25 PM »
Hi Murray , just a thought but you could take the battery down to your mechanic and have them test it.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline mcb

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2012, 06:14:28 PM »
Thanks Gordon,

It is down there now.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 06:27:18 PM »
Hi Murray , just a thought but you could take the battery down to your mechanic and have them test it.
A mechanic test it....................well they can place a discharge meter across it but you really need to take it to some one who is much more familiar with batteries than a motor mechanic.  Whilst this battery is described as a deep cycle type it also lists being used for motor start duties which is completley the opposite end of the scale. 

Deep discharge batteries are generally designed with relatively low discharge rates in terms of amps per hour compared to car starter motor drain i.e. massive amps for short durations and can sustain being drained to lower current and ultimately voltage levels that would kill a normal car tpye.  This battery is a AGM type, if  you place a whacking great discharge test across it you may well end up fcuking it if it's not conducted correctly.  Go ahead, be my guest, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, I am thinking about  heated buckled plates and bubbling electrolyte.  The same goes for charging cycles.  The blokes at Battery world can tell you all about appropiate charging devices and correct testing, a car mechanic potentially less so.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline mcb

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 08:15:46 PM »
Thanks for your comments V.

It was the testing of my current car battery, that Gordon was referring to rather than Tuyens battery. 

I agree that with some mechanics, you would be scratching to trust them with changing an oil filter, never mind electrics  :o.    Fortunately, the mechanic I use knows his auto electrics and has a proper battery tester.  His machine has confirmed what I thought.

The (old car) battery is stuffed.  It will charge up, but the 0.02 amp draw (according to my el cheapo multimeter) kills it in a couple of days, where as it used to last for ages.

I take on board your advice regarding the testing of AGM batteries.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2012, 08:51:06 PM »

I am trying to figure out it the battery is on the way out, or if something else is going on.

So to the question, if the battery is left connected and the CDP (Marantz  CD85) is turned off, will there normally be a draw on the battery?

Thanks

Murray
mr.mcb the battery should last over a month easy with the kajak12 clock its only when you plug a zen clock that batteries go flat quick.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline kajak12

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2012, 09:06:11 PM »

Are you still breathing????
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline mcb

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2012, 09:18:19 PM »

Thanks

Murray
mr.mcb the battery should last over a month easy with the kajak12 clock its only when you plug a zen clock that batteries go flat quick.

Thanks Mario,

You have confirmed what I thought was the time span between charges, for the Kajak12 clock.

Offline mcb

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2012, 09:22:09 PM »

He was, when I saw him a couple of weeks ago ;D

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2012, 11:26:08 PM »

Thanks

Murray

Thanks Mario,

You have confirmed what I thought was the time span between charges, for the Kajak12 clock.

WRT sealed lead acid or gel cell, just don't let the voltage drop below 12V.
Once they get below 11.5V they will drop very quickly and this reduces life of battery.

Offline mcb

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:21 AM »
Terry,

Thanks for the tip.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2012, 09:43:29 AM »
Terry,

Thanks for the tip.

They say a pictures worth a thousand words, ref attached.

Top curve would be closest to the light load of a clock.
As you can see after 12V things go south.

Has anyone tried Lithium ion on their clocks?

I'm thinking 3 x 3.6V in series will give 12V as they actually charge up to about 4.2V.

You can buy a bunch of Li battery stuff at dealextreme.

Z

tuyen

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 12:19:56 PM »

Still breathing mate. Just busy on and off for the past week looking after mum while both of my sisters are away. Hopefully more free time next week!

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2012, 07:48:16 PM »
Has anyone tried Lithium ion on their clocks?
I'm using these on my clock and Lightspeed.   Much better WAF than having car batteries with long wire runs in the hifi room.......

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Lithium-Li-ion-Rechargeable-Battery-CCTV-Camera-Amplifier-/230681549207?pt=AU_Security_Equipment&hash=item35b5b11997#ht_2048wt_802

Works well,  although I have never compared directly to a car battery.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 08:22:00 PM by ozmillsy »
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2012, 10:33:59 PM »

OZ you need better clock and oscons in you transport for tanoys ;) ;) ;)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2012, 10:39:47 PM »
Oh Mario stop teasing us with your zenclock, just get back to your zenclock R&D...I've been waiting for ages to upgrade my clock too you know  :-\
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.