Author Topic: Tranquility DAC  (Read 43213 times)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: Tranquility DAC
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2010, 10:59:02 PM »
I headed down to Mike Lenehan's place to check out the Tranquility with Pure Music on his reference system. I was hopeful it may now pip the prototype of the DAC he is working on, the PDX. But they had made a few changes to it that lifted it to another level and it wasn't to be - it still was better. It must be pointed out it is also more expensive. The signature is the PDX's more natural competitor.

We verified PM in hog mode was better. However we noticed a couple of things - first for some reason Itunes was louder which really should not happen if it is bit perfect. Which is not bit perfect who knows. Secondly it took on a 'cold' character and Mike thought it may have been a bit grungy. I really couldn't hear the grunge thing but the coldness was there for sure. I will have to give Eric a ring to check out what's going on.

Thanks
Bill
Bill, I often wonder, with all this talk from these manufacturers, about these new breakthroughs, so there stuff should be getting better and better, but is it really, or just being different, they do a lot of talking there stuff up, but show me great sound. A lot of them seem to be good at marketing and not so good at making great music.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 11:01:51 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline Hens

• Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2010, 02:16:17 AM »
I agree with you Steve. Ironic how they seem to be going backwards to move forwards.

Problem with audio, is its all big buzz words these days and marketing hype. I know the killer has gathered a following, but at least the beneift is that I personally know, that they have all heard the dac. I myself heard it too before I had ever considered buying it, noone had to convince me, it sold itself on its own merits.

I'd personally like to "try" these other dacs in my own system or in one that I am familiar with (such as Tuyen's or Mario's) because at the end of the day 2k+ is a lot of money to spend on "trying" an "unproven" piece of equipment.

Offline bhobba

• Liked: 9
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2010, 11:25:24 AM »
I'd personally like to "try" these other dacs in my own system or in one that I am familiar with (such as Tuyen's or Mario's) because at the end of the day 2k+ is a lot of money to spend on "trying" an "unproven" piece of equipment.

Yea - sure.  I get a lot of fun out of this hobby trying different stuff and seeing if others can check it out as well.  I don't mind buying a piece of equipment that strikes as interesting in some way and having others tell me what they think.  I understand others aren't that interested in this - thats fine. We accommodate all sorts in this hobby.

Thanks
Bill

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2010, 03:04:52 PM »

Yea - sure.  I get a lot of fun out of this hobby trying different stuff and seeing if others can check it out as well.  I don't mind buying a piece of equipment that strikes as interesting in some way and having others tell me what they think.  I understand others aren't that interested in this - thats fine. We accommodate all sorts in this hobby.

Thanks
Bill
Yes i agree, where is a lot af fun to be had playing with components, as you know i do the same thing with parts for my AMPs and DACs, I have a draws full of discarded parts. Its Audioitis. And you never know, its great to fined a cheaper part or component, that is excellent. Ask tuyen, he is building up a collection of stuff.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 03:07:08 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline bhobba

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2010, 07:40:27 PM »
Hi All

The Tranquility Signature just arrived and right out of the box we noticed better bass, more cohesion and better inner detail and resolution.  Interestingly Mike Lenehan thought Itunes was better than Pure Music and is something we will need to investigate further.  Mike will be listening to it further tonight and I will be going down there tomorrow and will be able report further the next day.

Thanks
Bill

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2010, 07:49:27 PM »
that is great news bhobba looking forward to your findings
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2010, 07:02:02 PM »
Hi All

Me, our very own Mario (thats right he finally made it over to Mikes), Mike, Graig Conner, and the designer of the PDX Clay Geisler, all had a chance to compare the newly arrived signature and the PDX last Tuesday evening.  OK Eric says we should not seriously listen to the Signature without some serious break in time.  But we had this thing and were itching to give it a listen.  Officially guys I am going to have to wimp out because everyone, without being told, said exactly what Eric said - this thing needs serious break in time and at the end of our time when I wanted to get a consensus of what we thought everyone said we must say this thing needs serious break in time just as Eric said.  

But because this forum is unlikely to be visited by anyone who would be too worried and/or offended by impressions of unbroken-in gear I will go a bit beyond that.  Mario and Craig didn't particularly like the signature - too hard.  Clay, myself, and Mike did not agree with this - we did not think it was hard.  Clay and I really liked it.  Mike didn't particularly like it compared to the PDX but thought it was was up there with the best DAC's at the shootout.  I know the sound of the base Tranquility quite well and thought it has better bass, cohesion, inner detail and resolution.  It is too early in the break-in period to say exactly what it will end up like but this is encouraging.

That said everyone did prefer the PDX, this is really one great DAC - and it wasn't even the latest production version which will be better again.  To me the signature sounded lean and dry but still with wonderful liquidity and smoothness - to me it was very analogue like.  Its sound reminds me of my first experience with an ME amp.  When I heard it I was left scratching my head - it had this dry sound I had never heard before.  It was explained the ME is a very neutral amp that grips and bullies loudspeakers into submission like few others do.  That dry sound is the sound of neutrality.  You may not like it but it is accurate.  To me the signature is like that.

Of course as the break-in proceeds I will report some more.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 22, 2010, 11:27:03 AM by bhobba »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2010, 08:44:05 PM »
That dry sound is the sound of neutrality.  You may not like it but it is accurate.  To me the signature is like that.

Hmmm, not sure I'd describe "neutral" the same way......    dryness is another form of "colour" to me.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

crazikid

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2010, 09:16:14 PM »
great bill.. thanks for sharing... give it a few more months of burn in.. then compare and let us know what you think.

Offline Hens

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2010, 09:20:29 PM »
That dry sound is the sound of neutrality.  You may not like it but it is accurate.  To me the signature is like that.

Hmmm, not sure I'd describe "neutral" the same way......    dryness is another form of "colour" to me.

Well, its true, it depends on how you describe neutral. Unfortunately, in audio terms, to me, neutral just = unrealistic to me. I've never heard a performance and thought, wow, that was so neutral.

Great to see that you are enjoying your tranq and good to see Mike is progressing well with his pdx!

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #50 on: October 21, 2010, 09:29:25 PM »
Well, its true, it depends on how you describe neutral. Unfortunately, in audio terms, to me, neutral just = unrealistic to me. I've never heard a performance and thought, wow, that was so neutral.

I describe neutral as "uncoloured".     "real" and "alive" is also uncoloured, to my ears.    If it seems real,  then it is "true",  and I associate "true" with "accurate".    

Is there enough dots being joined?  haha.   :P

Neutrality is a dirty word in stereo talk,  and I've never understood why.     Stevens system is neutral to my ears,  it's the most realistic system I've heard.

Offline Hens

« Reply #51 on: October 21, 2010, 11:21:13 PM »
I agree, it shouldnt be bad.

But I'll bet that if a normal person were to listen to his system, that would never agree that it was neutral.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2010, 08:08:02 AM »
But I'll bet that if a normal person were to listen to his system, that would never agree that it was neutral.

LOL,  are you suggesting we arent normal ?   ;D

They would definetly agree it was "lifelike" and "real".    The system certainly isnt skewed towards either end of the spectrum, bass is there without being in your face,  top end is extended, without being bright in anyway.  I reckon it's an accurate system, that delivers an uncannily real experience with good recordings.   

Offline kajak12

« Reply #53 on: October 23, 2010, 07:53:06 PM »
this tranquility dac does nothing wrong yet it doesn't do anything right .the mac mini transport is a pain in the arse to setup and use if i owned one i would sell it before it was working.so much easier to just put a cd in the tray and press play.
pdx dac is a winner for me against the tranquility.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 10:10:52 PM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline bhobba

« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »
this tranquility dac does nothing wrong yet it doesn't do anything right .the mac mini transport is a pain in the arse to setup and use if i owned one i would sell it before it was working.so much easier to just put a cd in the tray and press play.pdx dac is a winner for me against the tranquility.

Yes eveyone who heard the PDX compared to the Trainquility signature preferred the PDX.  Heard the latest production version yesterday - man is it sweet and it was only the base grade model.  Mario did not like the Trainquility finding it 'hard' which is perfectly OK.  However others present did not agree with that.  I have the Trainquility Signature in my system right now and have noticed a buzz or hum issue  >:( >:( >:(.  Need to get to thre bottom of that.  

Computer audio is not that bad once you have it sorted out basically you simply need to switch it on and play.  Interestingly when we compared the PDX via USB and SPDIF blind Mike preferred the SPDIF but others including me preferred the USB.  Interesting hey?

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 01:05:25 PM by bhobba »

Offline kajak12

« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2010, 01:18:15 PM »
this tranquility dac does nothing wrong yet it doesn't do anything right .the mac mini transport is a pain in the arse to setup and use if i owned one i would sell it before it was working.so much easier to just put a cd in the tray and press play.pdx dac is a winner for me against the tranquility.

Yes eveyone who heard the PDX compared to the Trainquility signature preferred the PDX.  Heard the latest production version yesterday - man is it sweet and it was only the base grade model.  Mario did not like the Trainquility finding it 'hard' which is perfectly OK.  However others present did not agree with that.  I have the Trainquility Signature in my system right now and have noticed a buzz or hum issue  >:( >:( >:(.  Need to get to thre bottom of that.  

Computer audio is not that bad once you have it sorted out basically you simply need to switch it on and play.  Interestingly when we compared the PDX via USB and SPDIF blind Mike preferred the SPDIF but others including me preferred the USB.  Interesting hey?

Thanks
Bill
bill you have yet to hear a cd95 with i2s then your usb will be forsale on sna ;D

Offline kajak12

« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2010, 01:42:03 PM »

Thanks
Bill
the tranquility is not for people that would like the ultimate digital playback it is not worth the money they are asking for it.on friday we compared a terra dak modded by craig connor to the tranquility i wish you where their bill then you would understand why the tranquility is so over priced.
if one is after a refrence system without upgrading digital play back in the future then its not a dac for them.if you like using usb mac mini computer audio then get yourself a tranquility.
tranquility produces sound but no magic it lacks weight and texture cant reproduce natural instruments for shizer.no instrument separation from front to back at all its a wide flat sound stage.
eric has to get himself diffrent master tape players if he thinks this is a great dac.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2010, 02:23:49 PM »
bill you have yet to hear a cd95 with i2s then your usb will be forsale on sna ;D

Probably correct actually.  But I will wait until I actually hear it.  Probably will keep both since the PDX can do either.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:39:30 PM by bhobba »

Offline bhobba

« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »
the tranquility is not for people that would like the ultimate digital playback it is not worth the money they are asking for it.on friday we compared a terra dak modded by craig connor to the tranquility i wish you where their bill then you would understand why the tranquility is so over priced.if one is after a refrence system without upgrading digital play back in the future then its not a dac for them.if you like using usb mac mini computer audio then get yourself a tranquility.tranquility produces sound but no magic it lacks weight and texture cant reproduce natural instruments for shizer.no instrument separation from front to back at all its a wide flat sound stage. eric has to get himself diffrent master tape players if he thinks this is a great dac.

Yea would have loved to be there as well.  That terra DAC sounds pretty darn good.  However heard the latest production PDX the next day and man does it sound good - even through the USB.  Myself and some others actually preferred the USB.  That is the base grade version - the version I will be getting will be above that.  Love to hear that compared to Craig's Terra DAC - much tougher competition.  The Tranquility has its place - but it is beatable.

Thanks
Bill
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:35:30 PM by bhobba »

Offline Audio

« Reply #59 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:51 AM »
Hi, is the Craig Connor dac a commercial offering? How does it compare to the pdx?