Author Topic: For the record  (Read 3773 times)

Offline gthicm

• Liked: 0
For the record
« on: August 26, 2011, 11:51:42 AM »
I have no doubt that the units sound good.  The real question is, relative to what?  As I said, I will wait and see how it all shakes out in the end.  However, from what I see and have followed for years, I am not too intersted in the design approach taken here.  People may differ, but from my experience and POV, the value is not there.  Time will tell.

As to other dacs available, I do not own and likely will not own a Killerdac.  I have not heard one and am really not intersted in doing so, which is the same for the Lampizator products.  It is easy enough to duplicate much of what has been done with these things, so if I were really interested in their respective design approaches, I would fiddle around with duplicating it.  Likewise, I really have no interest in that, nor am I Australian or in Australia.

Oddly enough, I do agree with many things that Lukasz says, including that the best digital source is PC audio, that much of the highly touted commercial product does not deliver, that Audionote products and their philosophy is good and that one can always extract more of what they like through modifications.  I also prefer the sound of NOS and think that the TDA1541A is a great chip, with few equals or better.  So, enjoy what you are hearing and let the products sell themselves.  They will either stand or fall on their own merits.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
Re: For the record
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 05:13:58 PM »
This is a very mature answer but I would like to know what in preference the writer would employ for musical enjoyment.  PC replay can be OK but I have yet to hear really great PC replay, a littel more detail on the technique and parts / unit used in the replay chain would be nice.
Ta V.  ;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline wisnon

• Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »
I think he uses a Pace Car with a SBox and a Empirical audio DAC (overdrive).

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2012, 12:14:51 AM »
I have no doubt that the units sound good.  The real question is, relative to what?  As I said, I will wait and see how it all shakes out in the end.  However, from what I see and have followed for years, I am not too intersted in the design approach taken here.  People may differ, but from my experience and POV, the value is not there.  Time will tell.

As to other dacs available, I do not own and likely will not own a Killerdac.  I have not heard one and am really not intersted in doing so, which is the same for the Lampizator products.  It is easy enough to duplicate much of what has been done with these things, so if I were really interested in their respective design approaches, I would fiddle around with duplicating it.  Likewise, I really have no interest in that, nor am I Australian or in Australia.

Oddly enough, I do agree with many things that Lukasz says, including that the best digital source is PC audio, that much of the highly touted commercial product does not deliver, that Audionote products and their philosophy is good and that one can always extract more of what they like through modifications.  I also prefer the sound of NOS and think that the TDA1541A is a great chip, with few equals or better.  So, enjoy what you are hearing and let the products sell themselves.  They will either stand or fall on their own merits.
I don't really care or do other owners of the kd if your interested in the design approach, we care what it does in our systems since your a genius make a killer dac i bet you wont get close.As for pc transports they are good thats all i would not demo my system with one.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time