Author Topic: DDDAC 1794-NOS 24-192  (Read 416664 times)

Offline rhlauranna

• Liked: 198
Re: DDDAC 1794-NOS 24-192
« Reply #360 on: February 12, 2015, 08:18:07 AM »
... a little off topic perhaps, but as it has to do with Jean Hiraga's presentation of his DDDAC1543 with 120 chips at the last ETF (European Triode Festival) in Berlin end of 2014 and several japanese audio afficionados of which I will happen to visit in some three or four months this coming may I thought this link might be of interest what "they" did and do...

...and if this is not really passionate, to carry some 800 kg of HiFi equipment around half the globe for a single presentation, then I don't know...

...this might be of special interest for tube afficionados...

...and on one picture you can see at least a little of what systems they listen to in their mother country:

http://www.jacmusic.com/html/diversen/ETF/2014/index-ETF-2014.htm

« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 07:59:34 AM by rhlauranna »

Offline Chanh

• Liked: 9
« Reply #361 on: February 14, 2015, 03:31:58 AM »
Hi R,
At some points, we must accessed the logic of one's opinionated rather eagerly convinced as reader. There is distinctly different between passionate vs blindly felt in love. For once, none of these guys at diy DDDAC thread have taken DDDAC beyond where I have previosly had in every possible way. Therefore claiming what Stijn has had is never realistic.  ;)

Fyi, I have done every possible tweaks there are to this DDDAC. Other than the CCS board tweak, where my gut feels not worth doing, but also I reaccessed the logical improvement of this if any? Hence never bother with it.

Hope not to offend anyone here, including you(R)!  ;)
Chanh

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #362 on: February 14, 2015, 05:23:10 AM »
Hi R,
At some points, we must accessed the logic of one's opinionated rather eagerly convinced as reader. There is distinctly different between passionate vs blindly felt in love. For once, none of these guys at diy DDDAC thread have taken DDDAC beyond where I have previosly had in every possible way. Therefore claiming what Stijn has had is never realistic.  ;)

Fyi, I have done every possible tweaks there are to this DDDAC. Other than the CCS board tweak, where my gut feels not worth doing, but also I reaccessed the logical improvement of this if any? Hence never bother with it.

Hope not to offend anyone here, including you(R)!  ;)
Chanh

no, no offending at all, it is always the facts and the results that count... and at least we are here to try it out...

...as it happens I am able now to invite you to come to Paris on June 5-6,7 to a DDDAC shootout on the best systems that Paris has to offer (different WE-systems 15a, 13, 16... and others, under the guidance of Jean Hiraga, and Doede Douma will come as well, fitting everything together...

as it seems to come out the long time editor of Jean will be with us as well, and my intention is to bring all those superb developments to a report, so it would be really great if your personal DDDAC1792 would come out on top....

on SNCF flight Paris - Melbourne and back at the moment is 920 €... I know money is always short, so I will give you 100 € as a contribution if you manage to come...

and with a little luck we will then have Doede's new DDDAC-DSD with us, but I cannot yet promise that...

...I just talked to him and he told me that he would be very happy to meet you and have your absolutely fantastic work here with us...

indeed, we are very curious to try this all out... and all side by side, with all the different kinds of power supplies, so that we then all will know what's going on and where we are...

and with a little luck we will have Supersurfer and DWjames with us as well, but they have not yet confirmed..

how about that ??? please tell me....
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:13:05 AM by rhlauranna »

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #363 on: February 14, 2015, 11:00:19 AM »
that sounds like quite the opportunity & experience with such company and systems, jump at it!

Offline Chanh

« Reply #364 on: February 14, 2015, 08:46:50 PM »
...as it happens I am able now to invite you to come to Paris on June 5-6,7 to a DDDAC shootout on the best systems that Paris has to offer (different WE-systems 15a, 13, 16... and others, under the guidance of Jean Hiraga, and Doede Douma will come as well, fitting everything together...

on SNCF flight Paris - Melbourne and back at the moment is 920 €... I know money is always short, so I will give you 100 € as a contribution if you manage to come...

how about that ??? please tell me....
Hi R,

I feel privileged and thankful for the invite! Certainly a rare opportunity with eyes/ears opener for me personally. Delightful accepting your invite pending my workload at time. Should unforeseen circumstance constraints I this opportunity when the time comes, I will endeavour sending this DDDAC over for the event.

Thank you for your offering with finiacial support, may I exchange the offer for your time during my stay? Funding should not be an obstacle, however, your time and mine can be a possibility! ;)

Will keep you posted via private email?

Many thanks again,
Chanh

« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 12:16:58 PM by Chanh »

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #365 on: February 22, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »
and yes, last not least, this is some very nice housing for the DDDAC1794 and the power supply done by James, which I admire very and which might serve for own inspirations... I still have to do this for my own DDDACs...

and to minimize the influences of the PSU on to the logic to do separate cabinets, this is a very good idea... I have done this for my own  pre-amp and channel deviders already some twenty years ago...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 11:07:14 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #366 on: February 22, 2015, 09:33:47 PM »
you know much better than me where to get the right things for DIY... but I don't know, personally I am not a plastic fan (neither in HiFi nor in the kitchen), but love "solid" connections... so I prefer Swiss LEMO... you might want to have a look here:

http://www.lemo.com/en/products

my type is FFA.4S

and the Lemo-connection mounted:

...both parts connected look like this... to be understood: this is for both the 12 Volt and the 5 Volt finely separated in one connection :

« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 11:36:11 AM by rhlauranna »

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #367 on: February 22, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »
you know much better than me where to get the right things for DIY... but I don't know, personally I am not a plastic fan (neither in HiFi nor in the kitchen), but love "solid" connections... so I prefer Swiss LEMO... you might want to have a look here:

my type is FFA.4S

and the Lemo-connection mounted:

...both parts connected look like this... to be understood: this is for both the 12 Volt and the 5 Volt finely separated in one connection :

very nice connectors  ;) ;)
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #368 on: February 23, 2015, 11:58:05 AM »
 :) Yes Lemo connectors are used where the connection needs to lock and provide a non tarnishing finish, they can also be stood on without breaking, many of the things demanded in industrial applications.  Ultrasonics and ACFM are two applications of such sockets and plugs. I like the red dot location guide, no more rotating the damn plug until it engages, the XLR connectors are another example of great connectors, RCA 'cinch' by comparison look awful and very fragile! However did these become the norm....probably low cost.
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2015, 01:05:33 AM »

my type is FFA.4S

Thank you so much for this useful info. I've been looking to upgrade my 45 amp power supply connectors and the Lemo seems to be the best available option.

I have to say though that I don't mind plastic connectors as long as they're high quality, e.g. WBT NextGen RCA sockets, Eichmann Bullet Plugs, Eichmann Cable Pods, etc

With regards to the Lemo FFA 4S that you use, I can't help but notice that the connectors are made of brass. I haven't thoroughly checked all the Lemo products but the connectors of the plastic Lemo are actually made of copper, see http://www.lemo.com/catalog/ROW/UK_English/P_series_catalog.pdf (WARNING: 9 MB PDF file).

So, based on the connectors material, I think I will go for the Redel P series. Not sure how much but I will be in touch with Lemo suppliers. If anyone knows where to get them, please feel free to share  :)
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #370 on: March 03, 2015, 10:49:28 PM »
there has been a fantastic shoot-out at Supersurfer regarding the most important tweakings of the DDDAC-1794 from over the last year...

I do not want to produce redundant information, so let me just link to the program:

Supersurfer #4085

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-409.html

dddac #4089
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-409.html

dddac #4094
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-410.html

and the results:

Supersurfer #4110
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-411.html

dwjames #4111
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-412.html

and there is another report which has impressed me very much:

emyeuoi from South Korea #4119

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-412.html

and the endlessly untamed efforts of dwjames regarding further developments, with "Hogeberg" and a bunch of pin20 ccs options mounted up for comparison

my, oh my, what a sesssion, and what tweakings !!! Bravo !!!!

« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 08:28:49 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline Peter A

• Liked: 0
« Reply #371 on: March 06, 2015, 02:01:28 PM »
Have a read at this link:  http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue77/dsd_master.htm.  It is titled:

Musings on DSD: Using Offline Conversion from DSD to High-Resolution PCM Files Rather Than Using a DSD-capable DAC

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #372 on: March 22, 2015, 05:27:15 AM »
well, you will always judge for yourself, but I think it can never be a disadvantage to listen to the experiences of other DIYers...

so let me quote this one from here:

http://www.audio-creativeshop.nl/?product=complete-dddac-kit-usb-spdif#reviews

"Adam (US) – 18 February 2015:

I finished my single-board DAC and two PSUs today, with Cinemag output transformers. I plugged it in to my Sqeezebox, configured everything, and let it rip on my SET 300b rig (DIY).
Holy smokes, my mouth hit the floor three hours ago and has not returned to my face! I have been listening all afternoon, hearing stuff I never heard before. The things I notice over my (cheap) tube DAC I was using are much tighter bass, more detail, wide staging, and more presence. Coupled with a very non-fatiguing, natural sound. It is also dead quiet on 98db/speakers.

Thanks for putting such an excellent DAC in the hands of the DIY crowd!"

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #373 on: April 19, 2015, 09:21:59 AM »
...there is some spectacular news going on on the DIYer site, from Chanh, regarding his researches for the power supply of his DDDAC1794...

for more pixes and datails you may go here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-436.html

let me quote Chanh with his newest results:

"I have wired up the dual unregulated ps to DAC. Thank God for no smokes coming out! The benefit was instance, bigger sound stage and every espects of the sound audibly resolutes to another level. Amazing!!! Clearly power is making up of 50% of the SQ. Will conduct another iteration with separate second choke on each analog line. For now, exceeding my anticipation! Wonderful!"

...what I told already quite some time ago regarding our controlled power supply here: it is making 50% of the SQ...

as these (special) results should be valid for any DAC, they may be valuable anyway...

Chanh, my congratulations !!!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 06:00:31 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #374 on: April 24, 2015, 03:38:59 AM »
...this is a new DAC by André Klein from Metz in France, you know the tube-afficionado with Western Electric 15 and double input WE555 on each side...

please, don't ask for details at the moment, I don't know.... and yes, this is not the right place to put it, I propose that we will do this later... when I know more about it... and when I have listened to it... presumably in June at the meeting in Paris...

it is just that I wanted you to be able to have already now a look at the one and only picture that I have just got from Jean... so here it is please...

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #375 on: April 28, 2015, 07:16:10 PM »
...other mothers do have nice daughters as well... so I thought you might want to "see" this here...

coming to a very very special theme... some of you might remember that I claimed already some years ago that there is no "bad" CD out there just "bad" masterings... and I was given a list of "worst" CDs.... but please read for yourself... this is the effect that I meant, now - as far as I have read - experienced for the first time by another ambitious DIYer for whose work I have the greatest respect...

",,,this [...] setup [...] really makes me very happy. I throw on it some music that never before atracted me, but on this I call it "The Magic Box" dac they just shine and reveal so much that I can't just stop to listen to them. It puts you in different dimension and sounds so dynamic, organic, magic and charming I've never heard before."

and

"Great! It is really difficult to imagine better sound that this now!"

when I saw the power supply a thing came to my mind of which there has been - as far as I have read - so far no discussion at all (it seems that all DIYers leave them as is when they get them): ameliorating the sound by stabilising the power supplies with self hardening fluid resin (to get rid of its own vibes)... I have done this for all my single power supplies already more than a dozen years ago... and the result was an amelioration of - say - 2-3% in sound, i.e. more coherency, more stableness, more neutrality, more focus... a small step perhaps, but (to my ears) very very effective in the right way...

if you should want more, please have a look here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/224108-nos-192-24-dac-pcm1794-waveio-usb-input-446.html

and for the upgraded Single Board PCM1794 NOS DDDAC here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/265228-upgraded-single-board-pcm1794-nos-dddac-48.html#post4267107

this might be of special interest for you and your own purposes because all the used parts in there are listed in detail...

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 10:59:01 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline Chanh

« Reply #376 on: May 21, 2015, 12:37:44 AM »
Hi R,
Many thanks for your nice compliments!
It is true that a well design ps will noticeable affecting the SQ. I have now finally put an end and able to box up this project! Here are some photos for reference.

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #377 on: May 24, 2015, 08:01:52 PM »
Dear Hifi-friends,

just returned from “the” HiFi-trip through Japan from north to south and east to west with André Klein (you know the DIYer from Metz in France with the self-built WE15 system), Dr. Jean-Laurent Veys (the owner of the Lencoheaven-site and great EMT and vinyl-lover), and of course our unique leader and infinitely inspirational source: Jean Hiraga who indeed absolutely perfectly planned, organized and executed our marathon-trip with some twenty extraordinary systems from the last century, including nearly every brand that ever has been written about and that mostly only can be read about but not listened to…

Jean Hiraga opened exactly those doors for us in Japan which presumably for normal HiFi-visitors ever will remain closed. For half a century Jean is a very well known and highly respected man over there, and those HiFi-aficionados, that we visited, gladly had their magazines and books from Jean, dating back till the 1960ies, signed by him with autographs…

Before reporting in detail – I do not know if this is the right place, so you might better put it elsewhere - I have to come back on my own regarding jet-lag… you understand…

For the moment just one picture which I got from Mr. Katou (personally I made more than 2.000), to get you inspired and your mouth watering… there is more to come…

Top: James Wallbridge (you may remember the australian astro-physician who has been already here with us at Cologne, becoming a professor in Japan), André Klein, me, Dr. Jean Veys, mid-range: Jean Hiraga, active musicians and singers of which Mr. Katou has made recordings on CDs), low: two Goto-system owners, Shinichi Tanaka from Goto-society (who planned and executed for Mr. Katou the installation of the whole Goto-system in the back), Toshihisa Katou (owner of the system and professional recording engineer chasing for “the” sound - like me), his wife, and another Goto-system owner)

Anyway: the whole trip was “the” HiFi-lesson in my life…

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:46:07 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline rhlauranna

« Reply #378 on: May 25, 2015, 06:36:42 PM »
mmmhhh, my thought is to report slice by slice, as I cannot do everything at once... when it will be finished we may put the whole story to "one" story, so that it is not interrupted ? so, let me start:

What a HiFi-trip !!!

The beginning

The first impression on the journey to HiFi-Japan to my big surprise I did not experience in Japan but way before, half way from Cologne to Paris, our meeting point, in Brussels (Bruxelles). After about 1 ½ hours from Cologne, just leaving Brussels South, Gare du Midi (the station for the European politicians - with corresponding police presence - to leave for The European Parliament)…

…while some sort of a little nervous dreaming of the HiFi-Trip to Japan to come quick like a flash of lightning I was struck in awe getting aware of that horn not in a HiFi-listening room but in the public, quickly passing by outside the window, free for everybody to use and shout out loud, getting amplified by this horn…

… the horn is called PASIONARIA, “Porte Voix” (translated: “transporting the voice”), it is made out of 10 mm stainless steel (INOX), it possesses some 4,25 meters in length and has a mouth opening of 2 meter 30, a size that we are used to here for more than 30 years in the bass, but not in the mid-range…

…so my immediate thought was: How would that horn sound in a HiFi-system ???... well, I do not know yet, but as it is installed in Brussels, not that far away from where I live, I will visit it again and then try it out personally…

…the horn was created in 2006 by the artist Emilio Lopez-Menchero from Belgium… it is installed at the Avenue de Stalingrad, prolonging the street, right in the centre of Brussels…

…the horn is a sign, a symbol and a public instrument, something like “Speaker’s Corner” in Hyde Park in London, accessible for everybody by a staircase made out of concrete in combination with some stainless steel railings…

…if you are in for an adaptation into your system, the PASIONARIA is not just a horn, the construction and execution was scientifically supervised by the sound engineer Johan Vandermaelen. For further inquiries you may contact the society “Firme Moker", atelier métallurgique...

… unfortunately it was too quick for me on the train with restricted view outside the window so I did not manage to get my camera ready inside the Thalys, a high speed train running to and fro from Cologne to Paris, to shoot pictures by myself, so I felt free to adapt some form the internet (credit to the owners of the pictures)

« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 08:50:49 PM by rhlauranna »

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #379 on: May 25, 2015, 10:32:20 PM »
Love that horn.