Author Topic: cd 94 marantz hotted up  (Read 20835 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
cd 94 marantz hotted up
« on: September 09, 2010, 11:12:06 PM »
my hotted up marantz cd94  power supply filter by passed and so is the on/off switch.connected straight to the transformer.
i2s connection straight to the killer dac
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
Re: cd 94 marantz hotted up
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 04:41:00 PM »
my hotted up marantz cd94  power supply filter by passed and so is the on/off switch.connected straight to the transformer.
Mario had a look at your work, and felt i was going to pass out. From your photo angles i felt dizzy. Did you drop it on the floor after you finished, or is that finished. You left some parts out of the boxes, are you blind

Offline kajak12

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 06:09:52 PM »
Mario had a look at your work, and felt i was going to pass out. From your photo angles i felt dizzy. Did you drop it on the floor after you finished, or is that finished. You left some parts out of the boxes, are you blind
do you want to buy some of the parts outside the box?  satrting bid $1000 for chicago chokes
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2010, 09:57:13 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250695202579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not the CD94, but this one has CDM1 mechanism too, a good alternative for CD94 perhaps...

Cheers,
William
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 10:34:38 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250695202579&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Not the CD94, but this one has CDM1 mechanism too, a good alternative for CD94 perhaps...

Cheers,
William
buy buy williamm its good to have a spare  i have 2 spares

tuyen

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:07 AM »

My highly modded CD94.  Whole analog output stage has been removed. Majority of caps have been changed.  Modified burson clock is using vintage oil filled dubiliers and powered by 12V domestic car battery. Oversampling chip has been removed (Non over sampling mod)  with  I2S connection straight into the killerDAC via 4 cat5 wires (word, clock, data and ground).

Can it get much better then this?   Computer transport? USB?     I'm waiting to hear it :)

crazikid

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
tuyen i think i prefer yours then marios... yours looks clean bright and shiny.. mario - your looks old and dusty :'(

Offline kajak12

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 07:16:54 PM »
tuyen i think i prefer yours then marios... yours looks clean bright and shiny.. mario - your looks old and dusty :'(
tuyen uses photo shop to clean his up. ;)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »

My highly modded CD94.  Whole analog output stage has been removed. Majority of caps have been changed.  Modified burson clock is using vintage oil filled dubiliers and powered by 12V domestic car battery. Oversampling chip has been removed (Non over sampling mod)  with  I2S connection straight into the killerDAC via 4 cat5 wires (word, clock, data and ground).

Can it get much better then this?   Computer transport? USB?     I'm waiting to hear it :)
Tuyen , I am working on a Transport based on the Rotel RCD855(cdm4/19 , tda1541a).
Can I remove everything after the SAA7220 from which I am getting spidf direct of pin14 ie can I remove the dac chip as well as the analogue stage?
Gordon
Listening with my ears :)

crazikid

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 09:04:35 PM »
tuyen uses photo shop to clean his up. ;)

of course he does....

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 12:26:27 AM »
James, I've already got the CD94 from Danny but now my dac is currently with him to be modded to outputting I2S. Once I got the dac connecting to the CD94, I'll post some pics here. Wouldn't be as good as Mario's/Tuyen's because I'm still using the standard clock, but I will work that one out with Steven  ;)

crazikid

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 07:49:10 AM »
welcome to the world of marantz william... tis been a long wait. its all part of the journey.

tuyen

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2010, 09:00:07 AM »

Tuyen , I am working on a Transport based on the Rotel RCD855(cdm4/19 , tda1541a).
Can I remove everything after the SAA7220 from which I am getting spidf direct of pin14 ie can I remove the dac chip as well as the analogue stage?
Gordon

Hi Gordon,

Sure can. You definitely don't need any of the the analogue stage (including the TDA1541a) anymore.

Best of luck!

Tuyen

tuyen

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 09:03:57 AM »
James, I've already got the CD94 from Danny but now my dac is currently with him to be modded to outputting I2S. Once I got the dac connecting to the CD94, I'll post some pics here. Wouldn't be as good as Mario's/Tuyen's because I'm still using the standard clock, but I will work that one out with Steven  ;)

Congrats William. I'm guessing you have the CD94 that I originally sold to James. Very good condition unit.

Doing the I2S (with the NOS mod on the CD94) will be a worthwhile improvement already.  Upgrading you the clock with hand picked capacitor selection will put you on top of the mountain!

Best of luck!

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 12:57:01 PM »
You're right Tuyen, it was originally yours and the condition was very good, can't believe it's about 20 years old. Thanks for sharing the love  :)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2010, 11:10:25 PM »
i should of bought that myself and add to my collection

Offline Jehuty

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2010, 07:40:11 PM »
Aren't you interested to get Wadia WT3200 or CDC TL1 Mario? Then you can sell one of your CD94s to me for spares  ;D

Offline kajak12

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2010, 07:44:00 PM »
Aren't you interested to get Wadia WT3200 or CDC TL1 Mario? Then you can sell one of your CD94s to me for spares  ;D
i have a better idea i will mod my cd94 to wadia specs and save money

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
CD94 in da house!
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2010, 12:10:42 AM »
I must confess I was blown away this afternoon when Mario dropped of his spare modded CD94 for me to borrow for a while and compare to my CD50.

The results were astounding and dramatic. The bottom end was much tighter, top end resolution was the most dramatic improvement, and the mid range smoothness went to another level.  The openness and improvement to sound staging was staggering.  The music well and truly surpassed the width of the speakers but also gained what seemed another metre in height. The music was fuller, richer, and smoother with significant increases in top end and bottom end resolution.  The top end not only had more detail but also more weight, which is difficult to describe if you haven’t heard it. Detail and weight with no trade off, who would have thought?

The biggest overall sweetener IMO was the system seemed to suddenly just click. The CD94 added a sense of balance and overall harmony.  It was as if it took hold of the loose ends you didn’t know existed and resolved them as soon I pushed ‘play’.

I hope my CD85 can come pretty close to Mario’s CD94!

All the hype surrounding the CD94 is IMO well founded and justified.   8)

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2010, 01:35:38 AM »
hens bring your cec and run it against my cd94 at flemos a transport shootout of the heavy weights flemo got the system to do it at the moment