Author Topic: reel to reel on ebay  (Read 46911 times)

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
Re: reel to reel on ebay
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 09:23:03 AM »
Hi Mario,
Yep should be a good machine. Get seller to send photos of the heads.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 02:25:57 PM »
Hi Mario,
Yep should be a good machine. Get seller to send photos of the heads.

Yes looks like the Mk 1 version.  No tape head cover - mising (available from Germany).  Many claim these to be serviced but realy true, factor in a 250 dollar service and at worst a relapping of heads, new brake bands and a recap.  There is a bloke in Oz now advertising on ebay a complete cap kit for around 70 bucks.  If the motor bearings are nacked then more work is required.  I have a Mk 3 PR99 and they are OK machines.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline rab

• Administrator
  • Liked: 36

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 10:33:08 PM »
What about this one in Brisbane, looks like gamve's model:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tascam-42B-DB-Reel-to-Reel-Tape-Recorder-Player-w-Stand-Revox-Monitor-PR99-/400331781273?pt=AU_Pro_Audio&hash=item5d35a23499&_uhb=1#ht_10432wt_923
That is the one i use, (Its mine now) but that one is ruff, does not work, and is overpriced.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2012, 11:40:47 PM by stevenvalve »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 08:28:40 AM »
Yes looks like the Mk 1 version.  No tape head cover - mising (available from Germany).  Many claim these to be serviced but realy true, factor in a 250 dollar service and at worst a relapping of heads, new brake bands and a recap.  There is a bloke in Oz now advertising on ebay a complete cap kit for around 70 bucks.  If the motor bearings are nacked then more work is required.  I have a Mk 3 PR99 and they are OK machines.
V
Hey V, do you have a service manual for your Mk3?  Easy enough to follow?

I'm gunna pull the trigger on that PR99 I think.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

tuyen

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 08:59:05 AM »
How are the Stellavox units?

Edit:  Nevermind, I had to asked how much the guy wanted to sell his for!  ???
« Last Edit: October 31, 2012, 09:21:14 AM by tuyen »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 11:15:48 PM »
Nice unit but no images of the heads  :(.  This recorder is still produced and all spares available.  So that's 2 x R2R's chez Stevenvalves  I take it or have you moved on the Teac?
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 11:35:58 PM »
Nice unit but no images of the heads  :(.  This recorder is still produced and all spares available.  So that's 2 x R2R's chez Stevenvalves  I take it or have you moved on the Teac?
V
That looks nice!

These things look so cool I'm finding them them a very attractive piece of kit...... as candy eye   :-[

Edit:Just what types of music can be had for playback, and is it very prohibitive dollar wise?
« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 11:37:34 PM by data »

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2012, 12:10:34 AM »
Hey data, join the party!

It's not only the look, they sound bloody good too and I have to say I like them better than TT.  ;D
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 12:33:04 AM »
I even like cassette when done right, so I'd be a sucker for the sound of real tape with close to original material  8)

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 12:49:00 AM »
My new Studer A80, Nice. via EBAY for the right price. Can you imagine a Tea for the tillerman master played on this..
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 12:52:17 AM by stevenvalve »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 01:23:57 AM »
 :D Very nice Stevo  :D
An external valve output stage and you are there.
Do you have to import it as the charges ramp up pretty quick, I am in the process of getting my field coils into Perth....ouch....every one want's money!
V

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 11:43:22 AM »
Quote from: stevenvalve
My new Studer A80, Nice. via EBAY for the right price. Can you imagine a Tea for the tillerman master played on this..

You got a great buy there Steve - and at a great price.

It's hard to tell from the (ebay) pics, but looks like the heads are in v g  condition.

Should give many years of service.

Now - you just have to get it here :)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Caring and sharing
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2013, 12:36:18 PM »
Site down for maintainence?  Not been accessible for a couple of days.
Happy new year to all our readers and contributors.

Well finally got my FC drivers back home. ;D
3 are good one has a rubbing coil, damn. :(
So import duty payable to customs and excise, :-X landing and handling fee plus import company fee's all paid  :( and it took 2 days plus 2 trips to the airport to 4 different departments in seperate buildings due to the import compay doing an early runner. :o  Luckily I convinced Cutoms that being mostly steel no visit to AQIS was needed or no doubt that would have been more robbing fee's required.  In hindsight it would have been easier to pay the additional freight fee's to have this all resolved and delivered to my home as it cost me almost a whole day of my life plus all the robbers along the way.  140 bucks for paperwork plus import duty, ho hum. :P
V

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2013, 01:44:36 PM »
I have been through the customs game, wasted two days of my time just for a 1930 Altec 515, 15 cell horn and 288 compression driver. Don't start me on customs. Just idiots, or is it us who are the idiots for putting up with this game they play. I gave up and employed a broker to get it.

Offline omodo

• Liked: 104
  • Green tinted glow
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2013, 02:36:52 PM »
Site down for maintainence?  Not been accessible for a couple of days.
Happy new year to all our readers and contributors.

Well finally got my FC drivers back home. ;D
3 are good one has a rubbing coil, damn. :(
So import duty payable to customs and excise, :-X landing and handling fee plus import company fee's all paid  :( and it took 2 days plus 2 trips to the airport to 4 different departments in seperate buildings due to the import compay doing an early runner. :o  Luckily I convinced Cutoms that being mostly steel no visit to AQIS was needed or no doubt that would have been more robbing fee's required.  In hindsight it would have been easier to pay the additional freight fee's to have this all resolved and delivered to my home as it cost me almost a whole day of my life plus all the robbers along the way.  140 bucks for paperwork plus import duty, ho hum. :P
V

Yeah door-to-(air)port shipping is a bit of a false economy, often much easier and cheaper to just pay the extra for door-to-door and not have the hassle! Bummer about the VCs