Author Topic: MingDA mc34ab first tube amp?  (Read 8662 times)

Offline braddo

• Liked: 2
MingDA mc34ab first tube amp?
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
OK while I am slowly saving for a KD, I'm thinking about playing around with a tube amp and grabbing a ming-da mc 34ab, maybe early in the new year.

Good idea for a starter into tubes??

My brother is a techie so modding in the future should not be a problem I can follow what some of you other owners have done.

I also have a tube preamp so I have the option of using it as a poweramp too in place of the SS power amp I have now.

I can appreciate un-amplified music but I also listen to rock'n'roll (electric bass, electric guitar and drums) so I'm thinking I may need the 40w of this amp? Am I on the right track??? I am a noob when it comes to tubes :-[

tuyen

Re: MingDA mc34ab first tube amp?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 08:51:19 AM »
Hi braddo,

What speakers ?     What tube preamp do you have?

I would probably get banned from saying this, but for 'rock n roll',  I would go for a higher powered solid state amp  paired with a valve preamp  (Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid pre?)

Also, you sure the kdac is best choice for your preferences in music?

Offline braddo

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 09:07:32 AM »
Hi tuyen.

Mate i gotta take off to work, I'll fill you in with some info as soon as I get some time.

As for wanting a KD, I'm using a modded CD94 CDP ATM and prefer the sound of the CDM1/TDA over some other DAC's/transports/CDP's I have access to (Levinson/Wadia/Raysonic). Not that these other bits of gear are bad, it's just a preference.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2012, 09:09:43 AM by braddo »

Offline braddo

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Just started to rain, so looks like no work today.

Firstly when I say rock'n'roll, i don't mean highly driven/distorted modern rock or heavy metal. I also don't listen at loud levels.

I bought a CD94 to use as transport with my Wadia DAC. When I tried the CD94 as a standalone CDP I found I really enjoyed the sound of the TDA chip, so that is what I'm using as source, this is why I would like a KD.

I have access to 3 sets of speakers (depending on room size etc.)-
Royd Doublet - 90db
Orpheus Aurora 3.1 - 92db

and occasionally my brothers speakers...
Electro Voice Interface D series II- 97db

All these speakers work well with an Acoustic Research 40w integrated that me and my brother modified for some fun, it's a pretty sweet sounding little SS amp to me and was a bit of an eye opener to be honest when put up against some much more bigger/expensive gear.

I picked up a s/h Weston Acoustics preamp to use with my headphones, some info here....
http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/index.php?/topic/22693-custom-dual-chassis-pre-amplifier-build/

and I have an ME850 power amp.

I find the cd94 brings out emotion in vocals and timbre in instruments (even amplified instruments) that I have not heard in other source gear, so I'm thinking a full tube set-up will continue with that style.

I just need help with how to start, and this is the only site I know of to get some real advice. So if I'm a pain in the arse let me know, of just ignore me, cause I have got some questions to ask :-[

I'm not going to jump in and buy anything until i'm sure it's the right move. :)

Offline flemo

• Liked: 22
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 06:10:22 PM »
....but for 'rock n roll',  I would go for a higher powered solid state amp  paired with a valve preamp  (Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid pre?) 

I was also thinking the same thing. 

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 12:31:00 AM »
....but for 'rock n roll',  I would go for a higher powered solid state amp  paired with a valve preamp  (Transcendent Sound Grounded Grid pre?) 

I was also thinking the same thing. 
He has a ME850 no probs for ss slam and fatigue :P
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline braddo

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 05:19:37 PM »
Ok cheers for the responses, they are actually quite helpful.

My plan -
Finish most of the mods on the 40w ss integrated on the weekend and throw it in the system to compare with the bigger poweramp.
I've been thinking for a while now that the 850 may be too big an amp for my needs. I'm not a basshead, and to be honest I don't care much for slam etc. and I do not need the volume, so I'll see how a smaller ss amp goes over time with my system first, and go from there.

When I changed my headphone rig from SS preamp to a Tube preamp, the music became 'softer' (missing the 'slam' Mario was talking about?). At first I was not sure if I made the right move, but it didn't take me long to start really enjoying it this way, and for the last 6 months I been working on ways with my speaker set-up to get the music out of my face, and relax it up a bit, and I've made some progress and it's been a ton of fun (most of the time).

The Ming DA just seems not a lot of money to risk for me to try a full tube set-up and if I don't try tubes in my system with my music I'm never gonna stop thinking about it. We'll see what happens...

tuyen

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:35:44 PM »
Hey braddo,

From your posts above, I'm now starting to get a clearer understanding of which stage you are at in your journey.

In which case, I do recommend the MingDa amp for the money.

All the best!

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 12:02:14 AM »
Ok cheers for the responses, they are actually quite helpful.

My plan -
Finish most of the mods on the 40w ss integrated on the weekend and throw it in the system to compare with the bigger poweramp.
I've been thinking for a while now that the 850 may be too big an amp for my needs. I'm not a basshead, and to be honest I don't care much for slam etc. and I do not need the volume, so I'll see how a smaller ss amp goes over time with my system first, and go from there.

When I changed my headphone rig from SS preamp to a Tube preamp, the music became 'softer' (missing the 'slam' Mario was talking about?). At first I was not sure if I made the right move, but it didn't take me long to start really enjoying it this way, and for the last 6 months I been working on ways with my speaker set-up to get the music out of my face, and relax it up a bit, and I've made some progress and it's been a ton of fun (most of the time).

The Ming DA just seems not a lot of money to risk for me to try a full tube set-up and if I don't try tubes in my system with my music I'm never gonna stop thinking about it. We'll see what happens...

I was once a ss man then i have seen the light of valves never looked back they have magic and finesse by the way ss amps are great for burning in cables  ;) ;) just ask flemo he is burning in his speakers with a ss amp  :P
Mingda is a great amp after mods
For 80's rock up loud ss can be very helpful as the recording are mostly poor on cd's........
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 05:20:58 PM »
I listen to electronic music and rock at high volumes.  I used to think that SS was the most appropriate solution for these genres.  I don't anymore.

The best of both worlds solution for me is higher efficiency speakers, and tube based amplification.

My Kdac front end is great with all genres.  The trick is getting the right tube combination in the dac, in the preamp, and in the amps,  to deliver the sound you want - with the right efficiency speakers.

I just love my tannoys with Radford with KDAC, it does an amazing job with Shpongle.  ;D
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2012, 06:09:29 PM »
I listen to electronic music and rock at high volumes.  I used to think that SS was the most appropriate solution for these genres.  I don't anymore.

The best of both worlds solution for me is higher efficiency speakers, and tube based amplification.

My Kdac front end is great with all genres.  The trick is getting the right tube combination in the dac, in the preamp, and in the amps,  to deliver the sound you want - with the right efficiency speakers.

I just love my tannoys with Radford with KDAC, it does an amazing job with Shpongle.  ;D

Well said Oz, can't agree more.
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline data

• Liked: 24
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2012, 07:23:22 PM »
Going to be able to start a dedicated Ming Da section with the number of owners soon  :D

Offline Braddles

• Liked: 0
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2012, 11:52:13 AM »
I had this mingda amp for a while and can agree that it can rock and roll very well with the right speakers.

Even my current EL34 SET amp surprises me with the amount of punch it has.  :o (with 98db speakers)