Author Topic: Revox PR99  (Read 10339 times)

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Revox PR99
« on: November 19, 2012, 08:23:41 PM »
The Revox arrived today, and all is not good.    :(

On this unit the selectable speeds are 3-3/4", and 7.5" .  [sighs]

When googling PR99, it appeared that the model came standard with 7.5/15ips . 

Newbie lesson, always double check and confirm the speeds supported. It could be different to what you think?

On the back of the unit, near the power socket, is a sticker that says "NAB".   I fear this unit has been setup for the NAB EQ standard, as opposed to the IEC/CCIR standard.  :-[

Lastly, there is no cover for the heads.  Seems kinda minor compared to the other fundamentals, but annoying none the less.

Bad start to the R2R experience.

What's involved to change the unit over to support 15ips/IEC?  Is it insurmountable,,,,, ?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline ozmillsy

Re: Revox PR99
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:36:14 PM »
It's ok to be the bearer of bad news,  if this player is not suitable, and cannot be made to be suitable.

Anyone?

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 08:18:57 PM »
Hmmmm, 7.5 ips is no good for the tape Project tapes  :(
Away in Russia currently so cannot check the workshop manual for the player; I would imagine that the electroic governor should be able to be changed.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:52 PM »
The PR99 is running,  playing back some 3-3/4 tapes I picked up off ebay  (2 track mono recordings).  

How quaint.    :P

Not what I would describe as high fidelity.   But I do feel like I've wound back the clock to a long gone past generation.   ::)

Just played a NKC,   currently running Bing C,  and I have a Glenn Miller band to come.     8)

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
Doing some toying around.   The Pr99 came with 1 reel of blank 1/4" tape, and another reel of various recordings by the previous owner (which are rather ordinary).

So, this morning I rigged up my Luxman TT/Minimax phono to the PR99,  and recorded 1 of my favourite vinyl demo tracks.   Roy Orbison "Crying",   12" single.  3 mins of Roy, spread over a 12" disc.   The SQ of this vinyl disc is great.

Well, I have to say,  even at 7.5" recording speed,  the quality when recording vinyl to 1/4" tape is incredibly transparent !

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 03:25:00 PM »
your right Oz. Tape is still king. I started out with the humble cassette deck years ago but the reel to reels are another world away when it comes to quality. I could demonstrate what a good cassette deck can do but think I have been cruel enough already :)

Offline ozcal

• Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 04:00:00 PM »
Had a Teac X 2000r back in the 80's and used to love the sound. My neighbour , the guy who got me interested in hi-fi had a beautiful Technics machine and he used to do all his own recordings of live performances.
Listening with my ears :)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 04:59:40 PM »
Tape is still king.

The King of Tubes concurred: "I was confronted with people accepting a record as if it was better than my master tapes! And it's not, I'm afraid."

Full article link: http://www.stereophile.com/interviews/1107parav/index.html

Very interesting read, giving me more faith to try out EAR products in the future...
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 08:39:26 PM »
I like the pic of the tape machine on page 1.    I would like to try 1 of his EAR 834P phono's sometime.

Some quotes I like from the article,  the closing.....

"Think about a thing carefully, and try and do it correctly," he says. "Don't think 'How can I save, cheapen it, cut corners, to bodge something to sell.' If you think with a salesman's hat on, you will never make a good product."

and.....

I did my own summation—and this is from 20 years ago—that if we did 384kHz at 24-bit, we'll have a system that will resolve on a par with the best analog. That's the holy grail. And the problem, for the computer people, is having the balls to go that whole hog.

Offline springcreek

• Liked: 84
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 08:13:44 AM »

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:59 PM »
There's an underworld of mods !     ;)

Doesn't mention a 15ips conversion anywhere I'm afraid.

Offline zenelectro

• Liked: 177
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 09:33:22 PM »
FWIW, years ago I bought a junked 1" / 16 track Tascam and rebuilt it - see below.

Went through the whole thing. Re lapped the heads, did the azymuth, replaced bearings ]
in the capstan motor. etc etc.

The whole tape path was a bit touchy. They had 3 motors, the capstan + 1 driving
each reel. The whole thing was controlled by a micro with various tape tension inputs
from the tension roller arms. It also had an auto locator which was pretty cool.

The electronics were really quite good. Tascam pioneered transformerless, discrete low noise
playback electronics. It sounded pretty decent.

Kind of wish I still had it sometimes.

I think it's well worth looking for old 1/4" 2 track mastering machines. Ampex or Studer.
They are absolute beasts - but obviously the down side is they are heavy. 

T

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 07:52:56 PM »
Well,  my R2R journey has gotten off to a very slow start,  due to buying the wrong unit  [doh].   Everyone here can learn from that.  For buying off Ebay, double check that it plays back 15ips/IEC !!

But all's well that ends well <touch wood>.    In the months that have transpired,  a friend of a friend came to the rescue.   

This friend is in retirement and is a tape machine collector.   He agreed to do a swap.  The Revox with beautiful shiny heads is now in his possession. 

I am running,,,,,,,

Now the R2R journey starts to get interesting !!   8)

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 08:00:14 PM »
Beautiful machine oz!
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 06:51:56 AM »
Cheers mate.   It's running.   Now to get some Yarlung masters.

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 12:04:46 PM »
Good transport that one OZ and lots of spares available, just need a good valve output stage to go with it fed direct from the heads, then you'll be in R2R heaven.  ;D ;)
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2013, 06:48:53 PM »
Yes, development activity is in progress WRT tube output stages (from the Kdac crew).   Cant wait.