Author Topic: The role of a transport  (Read 29008 times)

3bm

The role of a transport
« on: September 11, 2010, 10:53:51 PM »
placeholder for a stick on the role of a transport in your audio system. any information please add.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: The role of a transport
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 07:51:58 PM »
it is the start of the digital chain it will make or break the system.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Drizt

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 11:11:15 PM »
As longs as it can serve up the 'bits' to the DAC accurately and the DAC can accurately clock the samples, then the transport 'should' have no impact on the sound quality.  I have read scientific studies that state that 250ms is the threshold of audibility with regards to jitter.  Considering something like a humble SB3 has a 3rd party confirmed jitter measurement of 80ps on the coax digital out would suggest that in most circumstances jitter is irrelevant.  I'm happy to read any rebuttals to this that have some scientific research behind it like blind testing results etc.  Anyone have any ?

3bm

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 11:19:44 PM »
Hi mate. should have one in melbourne soon so if you wanted to check it out let me know.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:24:24 PM »
As longs as it can serve up the 'bits' to the DAC accurately and the DAC can accurately clock the samples, then the transport 'should' have no impact on the sound quality.  I have read scientific studies that state that 250ms is the threshold of audibility with regards to jitter.  Considering something like a humble SB3 has a 3rd party confirmed jitter measurement of 80ps on the coax digital out would suggest that in most circumstances jitter is irrelevant.  I'm happy to read any rebuttals to this that have some scientific research behind it like blind testing results etc.  Anyone have any ?
no blind tests just sighted tests and a lot of them from a lot of members here and other forums
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Drizt

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 11:58:41 PM »
no blind tests just sighted tests and a lot of them from a lot of members here and other forums

Fair enough if thats enough for you.  No arguments from me.

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 07:26:54 AM »
As longs as it can serve up the 'bits' to the DAC accurately and the DAC can accurately clock the samples, then the transport 'should' have no impact on the sound quality. 

If you can hear an audible difference, then there is no other explanation for that difference,  other than jitter in the stream is degrading the performance of the dac.   If someone claims that a certain "threshold" isnt audible, then it is a subjective assessment in my opinion.   

Like the claim that we cant hear frequencies over 20k.  It's widely accepted now, that brickwalling audio at 20k makes an audible difference, whether you can hear a 25k test tone is irrelevant.

I'm happy to be blind tested on transports I am familiar with, any time.
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Drizt

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:46:45 AM »
Cool.  If you do one I'll be interested in reading your results.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2010, 07:48:55 AM »
Cool.  If you do one I'll be interested in reading your results.
As soon as someone comes over to facilitate, no problems.   But, I'm not running out and organising a GTG just to do it, as I have no reason to. I trust my ears.

My missus is not interested, and not willing to change cables on the system.

tuyen

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 09:34:13 AM »
I would be happy to sit the double blind test if someone in Perth is willing to organise and host it.

After owning a SB Transporter, modded CD94 and listening to a SB Duet,   I would even be willing put money on the table! :)

Only condition is that the test has to be conducted on a certified 'killer' system (as not all hifi systems out there are able to show differences between transports).

Drizt

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2010, 02:55:53 PM »
Do it :)  Would love to read about the methodology used, the number of test subjects, number of iterations etc.

Also it would be good to take a screen shot of the relevant Squeezecentre settings (e.g. replay gain is disabled, digital volume control is disabled etc.)  Basically making sure that the signal is not messed with before hitting the DAC.

I would be happy to sit the double blind test if someone in Perth is willing to organise and host it.

After owning a SB Transporter, modded CD94 and listening to a SB Duet,   I would even be willing put money on the table! :)

Only condition is that the test has to be conducted on a certified 'killer' system (as not all hifi systems out there are able to show differences between transports).

Offline kajak12

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 07:01:02 PM »
transports can take you into another world with music being played or make you get up and turn your system off.

Offline ozmillsy

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 09:35:59 PM »
transports can take you into another world with music being played or make you get up and turn your system off.

Unless you dont know any better?

Offline Upfront

• Liked: 0
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2010, 09:18:44 PM »
That would be me! My VRDS10 Teac arrives on Friday! I'm a bit excited! It has the power supply upgraded and a tricord clock. Don't shoot me!!! Will know more when I take the lid off on Saturday.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2010, 09:21:01 PM »
That would be me! My VRDS10 Teac arrives on Friday! I'm a bit excited! It has the power supply upgraded and a tricord clock. Don't shoot me!!! Will know more when I take the lid off on Saturday.
you got to bring this over for a test run against the cd94 very curious

Offline Upfront

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2010, 09:23:38 PM »
Will do mate. Will post some photos for you to have a look first.

Offline kajak12

« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2010, 09:25:22 PM »
Will do mate. Will post some photos for you to have a look first.

yes eye candy is a good start

Offline mikey d

« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
Having 3 kids at uni & building my own house, funds are just not there to swap & change set ups as often as my whim would take. Has taken a while to get to the place that I'm at now. Loving my music as much as anyone else here, I get great enjoyment out of my modest system. Have been running a Rega Saturn for a couple of years & feel that it makes pretty nice music. Am aware of the fact that it can be bettered by many other cdps & transport/ DAC combos BUT one day I know I will be able to give you all my impression of my very own killerDAC. I have had one very brief phone convo with Steven & my very astute sense of intuition tells me that he is a very honest, sweet & humble man & the sort of bloke that I would like to do business with. I want to hear the wonderful music that his genius can give. Question......will the Saturn suffice for a period as the transport????? How much goodness will I be missing without a Marantz feeding it?????

crazikid

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 09:03:39 PM »
mikey d... where are you located.. if you could try yr saturn with a KdAc would show if the combo works... gee.. even plane flights are cheap.. get on a plane and audition the combo for yourself
The KDac changed my life... it might change yours :o

Offline kajak12

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2010, 09:05:21 PM »
Having 3 kids at uni & building my own house, funds are just not there to swap & change set ups as often as my whim would take. Has taken a while to get to the place that I'm at now. Loving my music as much as anyone else here, I get great enjoyment out of my modest system. Have been running a Rega Saturn for a couple of years & feel that it makes pretty nice music. Am aware of the fact that it can be bettered by many other cdps & transport/ DAC combos BUT one day I know I will be able to give you all my impression of my very own killerDAC. I have had one very brief phone convo with Steven & my very astute sense of intuition tells me that he is a very honest, sweet & humble man & the sort of bloke that I would like to do business with. I want to hear the wonderful music that his genius can give. Question......will the Saturn suffice for a period as the transport????? How much goodness will I be missing without a Marantz feeding it?????
i know the saturn well as i used jlti modded players against a saturn a few years back.the truth is the jlti modded players where better then the saturn.the marantz cd94 is just on another planet.
diffrence between marantz and saturn is analogue vs digital
take your saturn to steves house and compare lets your ears be the judge.