Author Topic: WD TV Live  (Read 4273 times)

Offline Greg Erskine

• Liked: 2
WD TV Live
« on: September 12, 2010, 07:55:30 AM »
Hi all,

I won't have believed it myself, but a couple of my mates have been experimenting with these. I have heard them compared to a PC/DAC, Marantz CD player with/without DAC and my Transporter and they are in the same league (or better?).

http://www.wdtvlive.com/

They have found a good DIY PSU, using USB memory sticks rather than USB HDD and a good DAC are required for good results.

I am not sure which model I was hearing as it was just a little black box to me, but it think futher investigation is required.

BTW: It requires a TV.

regards

« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 07:57:36 AM by Greg Erskine »

Offline ozmillsy

• Liked: 277
Re: WD TV Live
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2010, 09:33:24 AM »
They have found a good DIY PSU, using USB memory sticks rather than USB HDD and a good DAC are required for good results.

That's really interesting Greg.   I have a number of friends with these,  being used for video playback in their HT systems.   

If it works well, it's a cost effective solution. 

Has any of your mates taken a picture of the internals?
It's all about the music,, not the equipment.

Offline treblid

• Liked: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2010, 11:36:51 AM »
WDTV Live is the one with a network port at the back.. I have one (unmodded) and ATM using the DacMagic with it..

The only issue is needs a TV :(.. not an issue if the room already has a TV, but a slight problem when there's not...

Offline Greg Erskine

• Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 11:52:53 AM »

That's really interesting Greg.   I have a number of friends with these,  being used for video playback in their HT systems.   

If it works well, it's a cost effective solution. 

Has any of your mates taken a picture of the internals?

I'll ask for more details on which particular model and if they have pictures.