Author Topic: VDH anyone?  (Read 6696 times)

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
VDH anyone?
« on: December 27, 2012, 04:01:38 PM »
Anyone tried the Van Der Hul interconnects?  ???
I have used them a couple of times.  They really need specific circumstances to sound good due to thier high resistance.  I recently tried them in a high end system where they failed to work but that was at very low signal levels sounding washed out and lacking detail so you really do need to get it right.  Between a preamp and power amp should work fine and possibly the output from a KDAC into an amp or pre would be fine.

Why am I talking about them, well they can bring more to the party in the form of finese and an even handedness.  Lets see what Mario has to say about them later as he has BORROWED one of my sets.  ;D
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline gamve

• Liked: 219
Re: VDH anyone?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 04:31:03 PM »
I Like mine. Used them between the DAC and pre and currently between the pre and poweramps.

Offline audiophool

• Liked: 3
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:10:47 PM »
I'm guessing you are talking about the LSC - Linear Structured Carbon ones, rather than others in their range.
IIRC the First Ultimate which is the current model has a markedly lower resistance than the original First.
I have a couple of pairs of First Ultimates and a pair of the Second.  The second usually between preamp and amp when I am using a preamp, the First on DAC output and phono stage output.
As you say, very evenhanded, nothing accentuated and plenty of detail without any undue emphasis.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 07:27:27 PM »
I have tried the carbon type, very smooth, ordered from top to bottom, relaxed polite, and importantly not bright, very organic. The not so good, not the best on detail, lacking dynamics, weak bass. Do you need more info.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 09:49:45 PM »
Anyone tried the Van Der Hul interconnects?  ???
I have used them a couple of times.  They really need specific circumstances to sound good due to thier high resistance.  I recently tried them in a high end system where they failed to work but that was at very low signal levels sounding washed out and lacking detail so you really do need to get it right.  Between a preamp and power amp should work fine and possibly the output from a KDAC into an amp or pre would be fine.

Why am I talking about them, well they can bring more to the party in the form of finese and an even handedness.  Lets see what Mario has to say about them later as he has BORROWED one of my sets.  ;D
V
Oh yes santa vitaviox has delivered a pair of vdh to the fortress of kajak12,all i can say is he wont get them back until i run them against rawl99 new interconnects the lenehan ribbon tek are retired due to injury,
not the most detailed but the resolution digs deep and very even just a perfect match in my system also more 3d with space.
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline hedalfa

• Liked: 328
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 01:20:43 AM »
Yes I use first ultimate I rate them very highly. Have tried several other van den hul cables and they were quite good.  Pure silver had more detail but wasnt as natural organic. The first ultimate arent for everyone, worth giving them a try. For me they tighten up the sound where some cables make the sound more difuse and less integrated.

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 03:24:10 AM by kajak12 »
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 03:23:46 PM »
I have tried the carbon type, very smooth, ordered from top to bottom, relaxed polite, and importantly not bright, very organic. The not so good, not the best on detail, lacking dynamics, weak bass. Do you need more info.

Yes sorry, forgot to mention the First Ultimates in the heading. ;)

Weak bass  ???..................hmmmmm, not so sure I agree with that Stevo, I have heard them with the Wilson Grand Slams and there certainly was no lack of either deep bass or bass slam.  I find that in the right system they do not lack dynamics at all but they are free from the usual 'glare' and false emphasis on leading edge notes that some lesser cables produce.  I take it you listened to them for more than a week to arrive at this conclusion?  I am guessing that a system rebalance was not looked at to accomodate them in such a highly tuned system.  OB bass is never going to dig too deep without huge eq and power.

I agree with the organic almost polite presentation but by not emphasisng any particualr octave pays off trumps in many systems.  I have the screened and unscreened versions and they reside in my top ten interconnects for a reasonable price category.  Pure silver cables I have a couple of different versions of and agree that detail is more obvious with this material but they lack the naturalness of the VDH Ultimates.  As usual it comes down to tuning your system around the final balance requied but worth a try for those with overly bright and agressive sounds, they demuddle with ease and allow more insight much like a good valve pre or KD output stage.
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

Offline Tuyen

• Liked: 221
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2019, 06:35:57 PM »
I just picked up a pair of 1m VDH The First Ultimate mk ii  interconnects  from gumtree.

Now to get some form of system back up and running so I can try them out...   ;D

Offline hedalfa2

• Liked: 26
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 06:51:09 AM »
Yes sorry, forgot to mention the First Ultimates in the heading. ;)

Weak bass  ???..................hmmmmm, not so sure I agree with that Stevo, I have heard them with the Wilson Grand Slams and there certainly was no lack of either deep bass or bass slam.  I find that in the right system they do not lack dynamics at all but they are free from the usual 'glare' and false emphasis on leading edge notes that some lesser cables produce.  I take it you listened to them for more than a week to arrive at this conclusion?  I am guessing that a system rebalance was not looked at to accomodate them in such a highly tuned system.  OB bass is never going to dig too deep without huge eq and power.

I agree with the organic almost polite presentation but by not emphasisng any particualr octave pays off trumps in many systems.  I have the screened and unscreened versions and they reside in my top ten interconnects for a reasonable price category.  Pure silver cables I have a couple of different versions of and agree that detail is more obvious with this material but they lack the naturalness of the VDH Ultimates.  As usual it comes down to tuning your system around the final balance requied but worth a try for those with overly bright and agressive sounds, they demuddle with ease and allow more insight much like a good valve pre or KD output stage.
V

A very good summary. I find that they do vocals particularly well, giving them warmth and naturalness though some recordings are so bad they cant help those. Yes they can help make a system that is a a bit bright and edgy more livable as well. The Van den hul golds are very a good as well.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:55:18 PM »
I just picked up a pair of 1m VDH The First Ultimate mk ii  interconnects  from gumtree.

Now to get some form of system back up and running so I can try them out...   ;D
I have tried VDH interconnects before and they where very natural sounding. I think they where carbon, not wire, smooth polite and natural. Very interested in hearing about the system you build.