KillerDac > Testimonials

Killer DAC For Bill Hobba

<< < (11/11)

ozmillsy:
Cap comparison discussion has been split out,  and moved to the Capacitor sub forum.     It's a valuable discussion to have in it's own merit.

http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php/topic,2635.msg18172.html#new

Jehuty:

--- Quote from: zenelectro on March 22, 2014, 02:07:42 PM ---To get the very low OP impedance will require extra circuitry probably feedback and just makes things worse.
--- End quote ---
Hi Zen, what bugs me is that this super low output impedance preamp has been promoted as one of the main requirements for any good preamps (on SNA), so it's a BIG no for any high impedance preamps. As we all know, this can be VERY misleading.

--- Quote from: zenelectro on March 22, 2014, 02:07:42 PM ---If your system is just about right with a passive volume pot / atten and you really need lower OP impedance / more drive
there is a very good unity gain tube buffer stage that I build which is direct coupled (no capacitor) that is probably the best option.

This will give almost the same sound as the volume pot but with more drive, the OP impedance is around 200 ohms which
is a good compromise and will drive just about anything. But to get this purity of audio path with no capacitors requires
some tricky circuitry and it's not a cheap solution.

Z
--- End quote ---
I got one at home made in the US: http://dagogo.com/dodd-audio-battery-powered-tube-buffer-preamplifier-review
I really like it, it's got good drive, clarity and very musical. I gotta bring this to your place someday to compare to your buffer. It's not working now. I broke the power switch and I haven't got time to get it fixed.

Cheers,
William

zenelectro:

--- Quote from: Jehuty on March 22, 2014, 09:15:41 PM ---Hi Zen, what bugs me is that this super low output impedance preamp has been promoted as one of the main requirements for any good preamps (on SNA), so it's a BIG no for any high impedance preamps. As we all know, this can be VERY misleading.

Cheers,
William

--- End quote ---

It's all a matter of compromise and common sense.

Around 200 ohms output impedance will drive just about anything out there today easily. However you can certainly make a
pre amp that has 10 ohm OP impedance but you will have to use either some sort of feedback or an extra stage.

2 steps forward, 3 steps backward.  ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version