Author Topic: Another MingDa MC34-AB thread  (Read 9119 times)

Offline YoungSC

• Liked: 1
Another MingDa MC34-AB thread
« on: February 20, 2013, 03:31:45 PM »
Given the experiences of our MingDa owners, I have an interest in getting my hands on one of these amps.  At the moment I run a 2W set which is fine for my 96db speakers, but limits option for other less sensitive speakers.  Plus, from observations so far, I should also be looking at an improvement in tone, timbre and musicality.

I'm planning to get over to Murray's place to have a listen to get a sense for what Flemo's old amp can do.

I'm also building a list of mods that I've picked up from reading on this forum and will put it up at a later stage for confirmation and as a resource.

I've made some inquiries to MingDa, who have indicated that they have a new product this year called the 'Spirit EU 34'.  This uses 6SL7 in place of the 12A?7.  There is a change to the circuit as a result.  It will also cost a bit more, but not sure how much.

I would mainly plan to use this as a power amp, but still like the flexibility of using it as an integrated, especially if the performance beats my existing preamp.  Do you think this new model likely to be a step up from the original model?

My other question is, how does the first watt perform?  Most people use this with an 86db ML1, but I will mostly use a 96db wide ranger.

Simon

Offline kajak12

• Liked: 78
    • http://killerdac.com/forum/index.php
Re: Another MingDa MC34-AB thread
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 10:49:18 PM »
Good question if the new model is better they will say it is no matter what you will need to modd or tweak it later in its life to get the best from it.
Great amp to start your valve journey
still discovering the link between electronics and audio reproduction.so much to learn and so little time

Offline mcb

• Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2013, 12:53:37 AM »
Hi Simon,

I look forward to catching up with you in the near future.  I don't have any doubt about the first watt.  We should be able to arrange to get the amp to your system as well.

Murray

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2013, 03:47:52 AM »
These amps appear very well built but as Mario said, some tweaking on key components can reap surprising rewards.  There is hardly any competition price wise that I know of in this power sector of the market.  Fill yer boots!  :D
V
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.

tuyen

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2013, 05:21:21 PM »
Hi Simon,

Hope all is well.

Another amp worth checking out to power your decware dfr8?  might be the Lowther Club Jazz 6L6 Amp if you are after tone/timbre.   Good base for mods (few cap,resistor changes).  Only 8w/ch though.   

http://www.lowther.com.hk/Jazz%206L6%20Amp.htm

I don't have any exp with ths amp though. Only guessing from exp after playing around with 6L6-based WE replica monos. 

ehtcom

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2013, 06:06:35 PM »
Hi Simon.
The Ming-da is a high output class AB design, whilst it is okay driving inefficient speakers, it's not in the same league as SET amps.

Take advantage of your 96db speakers as you'll acheive much better sound with a good SET.

For me, currently running lowther horns, 1.8wpc is more than enough. When I get my Tannoy GRF running (~96db), I'll get by with 4wpc.

Cheers, Earle.

Offline stevenvalve

• Administrator
  • Liked: 358
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2013, 06:33:37 PM »
I do not know how the guy can make them for that price. It would not even pay for his time.

Offline YoungSC

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2013, 12:22:07 PM »
Hi Simon,

I look forward to catching up with you in the near future.  I don't have any doubt about the first watt.  We should be able to arrange to get the amp to your system as well.

Murray

Hi Murray,

Appreciate your offer to hear the amp in my system.  That would be the litmus test of performance with a high efficiency speaker.

I'm also playing around with some mini ESL panels which have about the same efficiency as the ML1's.  The 2W SET amp goes in to distortion at very low volumes.  I'm using a Yamaha HT amp at the moment and the inclusion of some valves wouldn't go astray.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 03:51:53 PM by YoungSC »

Offline YoungSC

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2013, 12:24:22 PM »
There is some doubt whether Mingda will continue to build the MC34-AB.  The replacement model mentioned above will be about $500 more expensive.  Less money left in the budget for mods  :'(

Offline Jehuty

• Liked: 111
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2013, 02:58:24 PM »
I do not know how the guy can make them for that price. It would not even pay for his time.

Look at this: http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/230928027769
Not all that matters can be measured, not all that can be measured matters.

Offline YoungSC

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 12:13:29 AM »

Offline vitavoxdude

• Beauty is in the ear of the beholder
  • Liked: 71
  • Caring and sharing
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2014, 07:19:55 PM »
Yes I have to say having seen that Mingda in the flesh with its clothes off it looks like an excellent place to start a valve amp quest with adequate power for average efficiency speakers.  The build quality is good and there is plenty of scope with component substitutions to improve it to a stage where it would embarrass many a wanerbee SS amp.
V ;D
We all like different things so lets all agree to disagree and if any common ground is found then worship it.  Mine is the KD hence being present on this forum.